Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

Plus, I'm having a bit of a hard time following what you are saying. I understood that Viroj was saying that the poor vote exactly the way one expects everyone to vote: for the party that they believe will best meet their needs.

NO, that's what you THINK he said, read the quote again:

"Who said people with higher education have a higher political morality. It's the same false logic that contends rich politicians aren't corrupt."

This sentence is itself an example of false logic.

>>>>>>

Regarding visit to Singapore - Thai FM said that he warned his Singaporean counterpart against reception of Thaksin by their Deputy PM three times, in line with the earlier pledge by Singaporean President.

Diplomatic retaliation had to follow, it was impossible for Thais not to react.

Plus, I'm sorry but you are becoming a little incomprehensible.Khun Viroj's point on false logic is perfectly clear but perhaps this debate is becoming a pedantic.Let's sum up.You didn't agree with the article because you see things differently.Let's leave it at that.

On Singapore though the Thai reaction was a bit petulant, it at least afforded a good laugh with the "spontaneous" rent-a mob demo outside the Singaporean Embassy on Sathorn.Hopefully the "students" involved will enjoy a good weekend on the proceeds.Seriously I have some sympathy for those Thais who are genuinely outraged (the vast majority couldn't give a flying wotsit) by the highhanded Singaporean reaction.It takes the biscuit to be lectured to about democracy by the rulers of that creepy and authoritarian little island.At least Thailand is a proper country with a history and culture to be proud of, not to mention a hard earned democratic tradition in the last 30 years.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin arrived in Tokyo late Thursday on his first visit to Japan since being toppled from office in a Sept. 19 bloodless military coup."Now is time for me to relax, get together with my family, see my old friends," Thaksin said Thursday after arriving at Narita international airport outside Tokyo.

Well let me see, would the old friends you talk about happen to have a Japanese name or Thai name? And if they just happen to have a Thai name, would they have been ranking TRT members and just happen to be in Japan at the same time as you......?

You know he's fuul of sh!t whenever he mentions meeting "old friends".

"Now is time for me to relax, get together with my family, see my old friends," Thaksin said in Japan

"Enough is enough. Six years you serve the countries. You been working hard. You sacrifice your time even your life. And, even your family life. So it's, it's time for me to go back as a private citizen. And contribute to the Thai society outside political arena."

January 19, 2006

HONG KONG (AFP) - Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has signed up a firm of American political lobbyists to seek support in Washington, a report said Friday.

Thaksin, who was unseated in a military coup in September, met with lobbyists from Barbour Griffith and Rogers (BGR) in Hong Kong last week, the South China Morning Post reported.

BGR describes itself on its website as America's "leading Republican government affairs and consulting firm" and has close ties with the Bush administration. Among the BGR team that met Thaksin was Stephen Rademaker, the former US assistant secretary of state for international security, said the newspaper, quoting unnamed sources. Also present was Ed Rogers, the firm's co-founder and previously a staffer in the White House of former presidents Ronald Reagan and George Bush senior.

The move was expected to further anger the military-installed government that replaced Thaksin. He has denied having any further political ambitions but the junta has been infuriated by his travels to capitals across Europe and Asia since he was deposed. The Thai government has withdrawn Thaksin's diplomatic passport, and this week it issued a strong rebuke to Singapore for allowing him meet a top official there.

Alan VanderMolen, Asia-Pacific president of Edelman, which Thaksin has recently hired as his public relations consultants, confirmed he had been in Hong Kong but gave no details on the purpose of the trip.

"He was here last week. As far as I know, he was here as part of his travels around the world since he left office," VanderMolen told AFP. Thaksin arrived in Tokyo Thursday night having travelled from Beijing, according to his lawyer Noppadon Pattama.

Thailand's main cable provider said Friday it would block an upcoming CNN interview with Thaksin.

Thaksin hires American lobbyists

(TNA) - Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has hired a firm of American political lobbyists, Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram said Saturday. Mr Thaksin made the move "two or three months ago," Mr Nitya said.

Military willing to discuss Thaksin return

(Bangkokpost.com)

Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra could return to Thailand, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said during an interview with Channel 11 Saturday.

no moss here ....................

Thaksin arrived in Tokyo late Thursday on his first visit to Japan since being toppled from office in a Sept. 19 bloodless military coup."Now is time for me to relax, get together with my family, see my old friends," Thaksin said Thursday after arriving at Narita international airport outside Tokyo.

---------------------------------------------------

USA >>> England >>> China >>> Hongkong >>> Indonasia >>> Singapore >>> Japan >>> ???

>>>>Botswana???

>>>> Australia

plus & younghusband, what is wrong with singapore's dpm meeting an ex-pm of another country? especially when the 2 of them had known each other before thaksin was pm? n singapore has emphasised to the thai foreign ministry that it was a private meeting, nothing more. u mean this is not allowed? under which international law is this banned? furthermore, with all the accusations thrown at thaksin, there's not been a single charge against him, he is not even a wanted man, much less a criminal (we still believe in innocent until proven guilty on here, rite?) so what is the singapore govt to do? tell its dpm not to meet with his old fren becos he was thrown out by a military coup? who is the high-handed 1 here?

i quote this from the singapore fm website:

"Foreign Minister George Yeo, who is currently in Calcutta, said that he had the highest respect for Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram. He confirmed that Minister Nitya did speak to him two or three times in Cebu about Dr Thaksin's visit to Singapore. Minister Yeo said that while he understood the Thai Government's concern, he also sought Minister Nitya's understanding of the Singapore Government's position. Minister Yeo assured Minister Nitya that Dr Thaksin would have no official meeting in Singapore and that his meeting with Deputy Prime Minister S Jayakumar would be completely social and private."

for me, its the nervousness of the junta having thaksin so near home acting up. nothing more.

TWO international magazines.

This is what the Nation had to say about those articles.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/pag...amp;id=30024314

It was three: Newsweek, the Economist and the Asian Wall Street Journal, in addition to many national newspapers of different countries.

But of course - the internationally for its journalistic brilliance and scientific accuracy reknown newspaper "The Nation", of Bangkok/Thailand, being the center of the universe, has managed to wipe out those insignificant magazines.

:o

No, actually, it is really really sad. I wish it would just be a joking matter.

A quote from the Nation:

Despite Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont's series of explanations at many venues, the philosophy has failed to sink in.
Is the problem maybe not with the audience, but with the lack of a logical explanation? We may be Farang, but we are not completely daft, and when explained in coherent way, we usually tend to understand.

No. I think that the problem is one of a communication issue. :D

It appears that, whilst trying to impress his international audiance, by speaking in an obscure Eastern European tongue, K. Surayud discovered that none of his audience actually understood his pronunuciation when talking bolleaxe... :D

Who was that tw@t interviuving Thaskin? I mean a 15 year old could have asked him more interesting and maybe harder to answere -questions!

Baahh!

:o:D:D:D

CNN interviewers are always pathetic. An interview with the Hard Talk team of BBC would be better for any politician.

plus & younghusband, what is wrong with singapore's dpm meeting an ex-pm of another country? especially when the 2 of them had known each other before thaksin was pm? n singapore has emphasised to the thai foreign ministry that it was a private meeting, nothing more. u mean this is not allowed? under which international law is this banned? furthermore, with all the accusations thrown at thaksin, there's not been a single charge against him, he is not even a wanted man, much less a criminal (we still believe in innocent until proven guilty on here, rite?) so what is the singapore govt to do? tell its dpm not to meet with his old fren becos he was thrown out by a military coup? who is the high-handed 1 here?

"Foreign Minister George Yeo, who is currently in Calcutta, said that he had the highest respect for Foreign Minister Nitya Pibulsonggram. He confirmed that Minister Nitya did speak to him two or three times in Cebu about Dr Thaksin's visit to Singapore. Minister Yeo said that while he understood the Thai Government's concern, he also sought Minister Nitya's understanding of the Singapore Government's position. Minister Yeo assured Minister Nitya that Dr Thaksin would have no official meeting in Singapore and that his meeting with Deputy Prime Minister S Jayakumar would be completely social and private."

for me, its the nervousness of the junta having thaksin so near home acting up. nothing more.

Shortly after the coup Thais have met with Singapore President Nathan and he promised, in Yeo's presence, that Singapore wouldn't do anything to damage Thailand's trust and good will. Then Thais informed Singaporeans that Thaksin meeting with Deputy PM would constitute a breach of that promise, in Thai view. Singaporeans didn't listen and went ahead. It was impossible for Thais not to react.

>>>>>>>>>>

Younghusband, turn on your brains. That article had five different people quoted, I objected only to one point made by one of the participants in a conference, or a round table, or whatever they were covering.

Conferences like that has been reported daily in the Nation lately, and everyday they have intellectuals blaming CNS, middle class, this and that. Much of it appears to be senseless, emotional drivel for internal morale boost than actual discussion, too much of inbreeding of ideas to produce anything genetically strong.

Shortly after the coup Thais have met with Singapore President Nathan and he promised, in Yeo's presence, that Singapore wouldn't do anything to damage Thailand's trust and good will. Then Thais informed Singaporeans that Thaksin meeting with Deputy PM would constitute a breach of that promise, in Thai view. Singaporeans didn't listen and went ahead. It was impossible for Thais not to react.

>>>>>>>>>>

Younghusband, turn on your brains. That article had five different people quoted, I objected only to one point made by one of the participants in a conference, or a round table, or whatever they were covering.

Conferences like that has been reported daily in the Nation lately, and everyday they have intellectuals blaming CNS, middle class, this and that. Much of it appears to be senseless, emotional drivel for internal morale boost than actual discussion, too much of inbreeding of ideas to produce anything genetically strong.

Plus, have you not been rather vocal about the democratic deficit in this country being attributable, at least in part, to a lack of education among the poor? Yet when educated people speak up, you accuse them of spouting 'senseless, emotional drivel". Why not argue the points that they raise? Isn't that what educated people in a functioning democracy do? If you disagree with their facts or with their logics- then don't be shy- show where they are wrong. But simply accusing them of 'bad logics' is not much different than saying, "oh they're just dumb'. Hardly an educated retort.

Singapore basically told Thailand to mind their own business.It was a big "up yours" etc.They knew exactly what they were doing.Unlike the government here,most things that they do is calculated...

Full quote: "Who said people with higher education have a higher political morality. It's the same false logic that contends rich politicians aren't corrupt."

He equates two different scenarios - consciously making morally wrong choices (elite voting for Thaksin) and being simply ignorant. Apples and oranges.

In effect he denies the role of education.

Oh dear doesn't life get difficult when you have to think rather than repeating mantras.With respect you seem a little rattled which has made your use of language somewhat clumsy.If as it seems English is not your first language I apologise sincerely for I do not intend to be patronising.

Khun Viroj was referring to the lack of judgement in the elite's support for CNS as well as its earlier support for Thaksin.(Actually in my view the latter was always rather limited since apart from its enthusiastic support for the drug war murders and repression in the South, the Bangkok elite was always rather sceptical of the nouveaux riche spiv from Chiengmai).I am not entirely clear about the point you are making because there is no equation by Khun Viroj of "two scenarios", and I am afraid I have no idea what you mean when you say, "he denies the role of education".Nevertheless what I surmise is that you are making (once again) the argument that the rural majority is uneducated,corruptible and ignorant and thus not to be trusted in having a major say on the nation's destiny.It's a point of view though perhaps you might consider when accusing others of having a 19th century political philosophy that your own take is straight out of the 1830's before electoral reform took hold.The difference between your archaic philosophy and the liberal philosophy you dislike so much is that yours was consigned to the winds of history along with witch burning and the divine right of kings while liberal democratic values triumphed throughout the civilized world.

To call the western world civilised is open to debate: 2 world wars, genocide and now a level of happiness and satisfaction so low millions leave when they have the chance.One sees them in Thailand every day.

The cult of celebrity is supreme in The West, tuned into 'reality shows',Beckham is God, n'est pas?

Don't forget democracy in The West took hundreds of years, the electoral reforms you talk of in the 1830s in Britain were not realised until Emily Pankhurst threw herself under a horse nearly 100 years later, the masses weren't franchised overnight, so how can anyone expect what was a rural, feudal society only 30 years ago in Thailand to suddenly become an 'enlightened, educated populace?

As the ex PM of Singapore, Mr Lee, asked rhetorically to a Thai journalist," Democracy depends on having an informed, educated electorate able to make intelligent choices, do you have that in Thailand?'

And the answer is no because the education system is weak, relying on multiple choice answers, the TV programmes are light entertainment because that's what the people like.

I suggest you ask 10 M6 students at random in Bangkok tomorrow who is the Finance Minister,9 out of 10 will not know.

Although the colonel and myself often engage in minor skirmishes I think, both he and I, as most posters here, feel that education is the key, but the reality is that will take generations, at least 20 to 30 years.

The academics are right to blame the middle class for apathy, I've been disappointed myself by the attitudes of Thammasart students over the last 20 years, namely an indifference to politics, only interested in making money.

It took the absolute naked greed of Thaksin to wake them and the middle class up.

But the elite had to intervene to overthrow a despot and dictator, Thaksin was never interested in educating the rural masses, The Education Ministry was the last of his priorities.

But civil society is aware,the PAD and its associates are not going away, I read today Suriyasai, one of the leaders of the PAD from Sisaket, is speaking upcountry tomorrow, in spite of threats from the previous TRT MP, he even needs an army escort.

As he did in Udon Thani when the TRT MPs with a hired mob threatened his life.

This is the legacy Thaksin leaves, inadvertently a debate of the make-up and roles of the changing segments of Thai society; hopefully under the junta it can be resolved in a peaceful way, something certainly impossible under Thaksin with his antagonistic and belligerent personality.

The A-Times has an interesting although quite long article on democracy in Singapore:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IA20Ae01.html

Thailand may have to go back a bit in its history to match this. It may also explain to some degree the actions of Singapore when its interests are threatened.

Mods please delete if linking to this will cause problems.

Edited by hammered

Bamforte, diplomats operate under an unwritten code of ethics. It is based on protocol, what looks to be right. They are not supposed to, publicly, be seen as becoming involved in another country's disputes. The Singaporean Deputy PM broke this code by meeting with Thaksin, while the Chinese and Japanese governments understood and acted differently. Even if the meeting was to be "completely social and private", the fact that the Thai government did not want the meeting to take place should have been enough to cancel it. The meeting was completely inappropriate and the Thai government had to respond.

Don't you guys all get tired of Thaksin galavanting around, giving interviews and stirring up trouble? When Thaksin said enough is enough, he should be taking his own advice. Enough.

Doubt he will stop actually. He is probably some type of meglomaniac. Personally I try to ignore it. But that is not helped by Thaksin obsession in the chattering classes of both Thais and expats. It is time for the country to move on and yep enough is enough.

I am sure he could shut up and do a deal to avoid minimal loss of cash and face etc. Either he doesnt want to or is trying to drive a very hard bargain, or he is mad.

Recently we were visited by the family from the lower north farming belt. Funnily enough they semed to have little interst in what Thaksin was doing or saying. Maybe these kind of people are just more down to earth and get on with things rather than analysing them to death. I must try to learn from them myself :o

Don't you guys all get tired of Thaksin galavanting around, giving interviews and stirring up trouble? When Thaksin said enough is enough, he should be taking his own advice. Enough.

Obviously lying through his teeth, puts on a "good boy" veil, trying to draw sympathy. He'll only relax when he goes up the wat's chimney. Let him parade around some more and look like a total idiot when he's finally found guilty many times over.

Some will say, it's taking forever, there's no real evidence against him yet. It's only been 16 weeks since he was ousted.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Obviously lying through his teeth, puts on a "good boy" veil, trying to draw sympathy. He'll only relax when he goes up the wat's chimney. Let him parade around some more and look like a total idiot when he's finally found guilty many times over.

Some will say, it's taking forever, there's no real evidence against him yet. It's only been 16 weeks since he was ousted.

How long did it take to get Ken Lay into court? Persoanlly I am happy to see the courts used and yes this will take time. Just because Mr.Thaksin has not been charged yet does not make him innocent (or guilty for that matter). We also have probably not seen what evidence there is yet as the process is still ongoing.

Finally saw the interview this morning on CNN at about 2-30 am and thought it wasnt too bad. :o .....just been to the pub but reading back on what has already been said over the questions raised by the interviewer Dan Rivers I cant help wondering if a lot more was censored than has already be discussed.

Now I might be wrong ..amiss or wotever .....but i fould him fairly forthright with his answers which may or may not be conscrewed as made up or typical political retor.but at least he gave reasonable backup....

As said maybe everyone saw it ...but in it he covered the time from when he was an army cadet ..pictures(avec sticky out ears)..then as a paratrooper,policeman,PHD studient in ...yes Law.....and order ...and all the way UP......100% dedicated..to Thailand...like.....

He was also asked the obvious questions like how/why did he make his cousin Head of the Army,did he admit being "heavy handed" with drug dealers (...answered YES ..you gotta be) and any regrets ...NO

On the subject of selling Shin Corp ...Yes he did and as a listed Private Thai Company on the Stock Exchange you dont pay taxes when you buy or sell any company and thats according to.... Thai LAW....

He was also asked where he intended to live and buy a house ...London -of Course because it was Democratic and FREE....although thought he already had one over in South Ken?....must check....

Most interesting part was of course when DR suggested who might be the "the Real Elite old guard Puller of Strings"and effective Controller of Thailand and suggested..***************..to which Khun T refused to confirm....

Ever Thai knows but ...mai ko jai....

Last bit was about the disbanding of TRT..but of course he said it was up to its members...all 13 million of them.... :D

as said ......interesting....

CPD sceptical of Thaksin

Former premier 'not likely to quit politics'

The Campaign for Popular Democracy (CPD) does not believe former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's assertion that he intends to leave politics. CPD secretary-general Suriyasai Katasila said Mr Thaksin's remarks through CNN and the Asian Wall Street Journal were a political ploy designed to make himself look good. ''We don't think he will quit politics,'' said Mr Suriyasai. ''What he says is not credible.'' He asked why the former premier still welcomed Thai Rak Thai party members abroad and hired lobbyists if he really wanted to quit politics.

He used the foreign media to portray himself as a victim treated unfairly by the coup-makers, and to attack the government and the Council for National Security (CNS).

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/22Jan2007_news08.php

Interesting that the military junta government of Thailand allows the Nation (page 12a) to print US financed Burmese Resistance advisers attacks on the military junta next door in Myanmar; yet they get upset when Singapore allows the previously elected leader of Thailand to address the world from Singapore. Double standards?

Plus, have you not been rather vocal about the democratic deficit in this country being attributable, at least in part, to a lack of education among the poor? Yet when educated people speak up, you accuse them of spouting 'senseless, emotional drivel". Why not argue the points that they raise? Isn't that what educated people in a functioning democracy do? If you disagree with their facts or with their logics- then don't be shy- show where they are wrong. But simply accusing them of 'bad logics' is not much different than saying, "oh they're just dumb'. Hardly an educated retort.

It's not the apporpiate thread for that.

If you read the quote - Viroj implied that education is not necessary.

In today's Nation they accuse the generals of trying to put thier own man in charge of drafting the constitution. We all know that, but check the newest reason "why" - so that the constitution GETS REJECTED in the referendum.

My first impression is that these intellectuals are quickly turning into CNS hate club. Not much different in their approach from "Why we should go to war in Iraq" club or "Zion protocols exposed" club, or "Save the world from little green aliens" club.

How long did it take to get Ken Lay into court?

Busted in 2002, indicted in 2004, went to trial in 2006. Everyone knew he was guilty from the beginning, still it took two years to build a case and four years to get a conviction.

It looks like Thaksin is preparing for negotiations, there are talks about conditions, amnesty etc. He can't lose the Shin money still locked in Thailand.

It's not the apporpiate thread for that.

If you read the quote - Viroj implied that education is not necessary.

In today's Nation they accuse the generals of trying to put thier own man in charge of drafting the constitution. We all know that, but check the newest reason "why" - so that the constitution GETS REJECTED in the referendum.

My first impression is that these intellectuals are quickly turning into CNS hate club. Not much different in their approach from "Why we should go to war in Iraq" club or "Zion protocols exposed" club, or "Save the world from little green aliens" club.

How long did it take to get Ken Lay into court?
Busted in 2002, indicted in 2004, went to trial in 2006. Everyone knew he was guilty from the beginning, still it took two years to build a case and four years to get a conviction.

It looks like Thaksin is preparing for negotiations, there are talks about conditions, amnesty etc. He can't lose the Shin money still locked in Thailand.

I would be surprised if negotiations of at least some type are not ongoing right now. By the way where is Thaksin right now? Gen. Sonthi has just gone off to China.

Generals should find the right compromise - Thaksin must be seen as being sufficiently punished and his fortune must stay largely intact. It shouldn't be very difficult as they were not after his assets from the start.

However, as long as Thaksin is harboring political ambitions, no deals are possible.

If he is simply flexing his political muscles to get a better deal from the junta, he'd have a hard time reassuring them that he'd never use this power for political goals again. Who'd guarantee that he won't go back on his word and return to politics?

They also won't allow his money to leave Thailand so that he could live in exile.

Pesky little bugger, isn't he?

Thaksin wants slate to be wiped clean if he is to return home

Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser said that if the former prime minister returned to Thailand, he would seek a meeting with the government and Council for National Security so that he would not be forced to pay for "his old debts". :D

Noppadon Pattama was speaking after Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said on Saturday that Thaksin could return home if he promised to cease all political activities.

He denied that Thaksin hired US-based lobbying company Barbour, Griffith & Rogers (BGR) to counter the government. He said Thaksin just wanted the company to check information disseminated overseas about the situation after the September 19 coup. :o

"He certainly did not hire this company to fight against the government because this company does not fight against any government and does not side with any government," Noppadon said.

He denied that BGR contacted CNN to interview Thaksin in Singapore on January 15, saying that CNN contacted him to ask Thaksin for an interview. He said Thaksin will give interviews in Japan to three or four media and will talk about Thailand in a positive light. :D

Noppadon declined to clarify what Thaksin meant when he told CNN that if the government wanted reconciliation, it must issue an amnesty.

After his stay in Japan, Thaksin will go to China, other Asian countries and the Middle East to meet friends and have a vacation, he added.

Noppadon defended himself against media comments that he was not loyal to the monarchy even though he received a royal scholarship to study abroad. "I am loyal to every royal member, but I am a lawyer and I give legal advice," he said. :D

- The Nation