Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

That incident is on youtube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y8BGYQBV7f0

The opinion piece in the Nation mentioned that Sondhi has recieved an intellegence report regarding violence at the coming PAD rally. It's not really an opinion, in might be an incorrect information or a completely made up information, but it's not an opinion.

"Proof" means different things to different people. The military acts on intellegence it receives and it has its own ways of verifying that intellegence. As far as I know they never ask the courts to check if the intellegence is correct.

I would guess that internationally the level of "proof"/intelligence has gone down somewhat after Bush invasion of Iraq based on proof from intelligenc eassessments they have WMDs, were linked to 9/11 and they could imminiently hit the US with nukes etc etc ad nauseum.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current dictatorship is again making themselves look just as bad if not worse than Thaksin.

The interview wouldn't have mattered....censoring the media does.

The people are not stupid. Obviously the current dictators think the people can be made to think the way they want.

The people will not stand for it.

It seems to me, these guys are digging deeper and deeper holes they soon wont be able to climb out of.

Return the power to a fairly elected government. Request international vote monitoring to prevent corruption. Return Thailand to it's people.

I hate to pop your bubble here but let me add some food for thought.

If a person has a low level of education they have few things they can draw on to challenge and test what an educated person has to say. As a result they just tent to accept it. Thaksin’s power was from people with lower education who were easily deceive. The word here is propaganda. Thaksin’s little x sign (post 92) ( that looks like a modified swastika) was simple censorship so if he can dish it out he should be able to take it too.

People keep bringing up Thaksin's wrongdoings to defend the current dictatorship.

These people have forcefully taken control.

No votes were cast.

They are restricting free speech, and are responsible for many other human rights offenses.

Yes, Thaksin did bad things. We all know that.

Enough about Thaksin......look at the present situation with a clear head.

This is not about Thaksin. This is about the current military rulers denying the people of Thailand access to media. And the right of the people to think for themselves.

Thai people deserve to listen, as well as be heard.

The people should decide their own fate. Not have their fates dictated to them by a bunch of self appointed "saviors"

Good post, fatman,

But your up against the right-wing anti-Thaksin brigade that will justify anything in their "anything but Thaksin" madness.

Espcially logic, reason and powers of analyses are sacrificed, and replaced with hyperbole and fanatism.

Unfortunately this is just a reflection of what is presently going in in Thai society, lunatic conspiracy theories and paranoia abound on both opposing sides, and dominate the political debate and decision making. The outlandish reaction to an otherwise completely meaningless and predictable Thaksin interview on CNN is astonishing.

The interview itself is not debated (there simply is not much to be debated about in the first place :o ), but what is debated world wide is the over reaction of the present Thai government.

Bit of a joke really, if it would not be so sad.

look at the present situation with a clear head.

This is not about Thaksin. This is about the current military rulers denying the people of Thailand access to media.

It depends on how you see the media - as a source of information, or as a manipulation tool.

Recent bans were about preventing Thaksin from manipulating the media.

Full text of his interviews, letters, faxes, and statements by his lawyer is still available, but not in your face, on prime time TV.

People are not denied access to information - it's still there for those who are interested, inlcluding CNN video.

You can try to make the case of generals putting the spin themselves, but then you have to remember their goal - national reconciliation, uniting people around certain ideas and principles. That plan was widely approved by the society and as long as they honestly stick to their plan, you can't really blame them.

They are not very good at spin anyway - look how they screwed FBA or capital controls recently.

look at the present situation with a clear head.

This is not about Thaksin. This is about the current military rulers denying the people of Thailand access to media.

It depends on how you see the media - as a source of information, or as a manipulation tool.

Recent bans were about preventing Thaksin from manipulating the media.

Full text of his interviews, letters, faxes, and statements by his lawyer is still available, but not in your face, on prime time TV.

People are not denied access to information - it's still there for those who are interested, inlcluding CNN video.

You can try to make the case of generals putting the spin themselves, but then you have to remember their goal - national reconciliation, uniting people around certain ideas and principles. That plan was widely approved by the society and as long as they honestly stick to their plan, you can't really blame them.

They are not very good at spin anyway - look how they screwed FBA or capital controls recently.

I don't think that a large part of the population have access to CNN video......

It is censorship pure and simple.These guys are not an elected government,so they can do what they want.

Meanwhile in other news......

NEW DELHI (AFP) - India has banned Sony's satellite channel AXN for two months for showing "indecent content," according to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry.

It was the first time India has banned a mainstream channel.

"It has been decided to prohibit transmission or re-transmission of the channel up to March 15, with immediate effect," Information Minister P.R. Dasmunsi told reporters late Wednesday after a cabinet meeting in New Delhi.

AXN, run by Sony Entertainment Company and uplinked from Hong Kong, has been banned for airing the programme "World's Sexiest Advertisements," Dasmunsi said.

The programme is "against good taste or decency and is likely to adversely affect public morality," he said.

The minister said the ban on AXN was being implemented under the provisions of 1995 regulations and would be applied across all content delivery platforms -- cable, direct to home and conditional access systems.

Sony Entertainment Television India CEO Kunal Dasgupta called the ban "unfair".

"When the order is served on us we will comply and take the channel off the air," he told the Hindustan Times.

But Sony had already removed the "objectionable content" and not been given a hearing, Dasgupta noted.

India has, in the past, banned or placed restrictions on the broadcast of sexually explicit content that the government says will corrupt traditional Indian values, but it has not previously banned a whole channel.

However, newspapers noted that AXN aired the show only after 11:00 pm in line with a proposed new broadcasting bill.

The Times of India described the content as "creative ads with sexual imagery and overtones although rarely exposing too much skin."

India's previous Hindu nationalist government had threatened to ban the French satellite channel Fashion TV but later worked out an understanding with the broadcasters.

Edited by John K

NEW DELHI (AFP) - India has banned Sony's satellite channel AXN for two months for showing "indecent content," according to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry.

That has NOTHING to do with Thailand at all.If you want to give an example of Governments censoring the press for political means,I'm sure there are better examples out there.

That has NOTHING to do with Thailand at all.If you want to give an example of Governments censoring the press for political means,I'm sure there are better examples out there.

Actually all I was doing was bringing up a question, did you really want to watch Thaksin drive his wedge deeper anyway?

Edited by John K

Actually all I was doing was bringing up a question, did you really want to watch Thaksin drive his wedge deeper anyway?

That's not the point.They are starting to sound just like Thaksin was.Surely they have more confidence in themselves as theyare running a corruptless, honest, and morally sound government....

I don't think that a large part of the population have access to CNN video......

Any computer with Internet connection would do. MORE Thais have access to Internet than to CNN broadcasts on TV.

Really?

Really. UBC has 400,000 customers, throw in some local satellite providers (who mostly target hotels) and you are still short of 8,000,000 Thais with access to the Internet.

Don't forget that the interview was in English as well.

Anyway, there is massive popular support for the gvt on this issue.

Right now, there are 6 (six) students who are protesting in front of the Singapore embassy...

You can read this on the "Todays's Big Stories" part of Nation's website... with the label "urgent".

:o

http://www.nationmultimedia.com

Poll: Most back Singapore retaliation

More than 60 per cent of Bangkok residents agree with the government's action against Singapore, according to the Abac Poll released Thursday.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=116115

Just to make a few notes here:-

I have watched, with growing sadness the viability index of Thailand as an investment location fall over the last seven years and see no likelihood that this will recover in the short to medium term. Without the investment in education and real poverty reduction, not lip service & a loan system designed to cement the ties between the lender {authorities} and the recipient , Thailand runs the real risk of being sidelined in economic terms.

Sad but true

Regards

// edit typo//

You have identified the crux of problems in Thailand. Sadly there seems to be little will to take action on the nexus of education and poverty reduction. This is especially true when whole poverty stricken areas can still be controlled by paternalistic politicians. The last thing they would want is better education.

mmm...a Chinese businessman I was chatting with about developments in Thailand just smiled and said there is now too much Chinese interest in Thailand to let it descend into real chaos.

so I guess... welcome to China!

rych

Just to make a few notes here:-

I have watched, with growing sadness the viability index of Thailand as an investment location fall over the last seven years and see no likelihood that this will recover in the short to medium term. Without the investment in education and real poverty reduction, not lip service & a loan system designed to cement the ties between the lender {authorities} and the recipient , Thailand runs the real risk of being sidelined in economic terms.

Sad but true

Regards

// edit typo//

You have identified the crux of problems in Thailand. Sadly there seems to be little will to take action on the nexus of education and poverty reduction. This is especially true when whole poverty stricken areas can still be controlled by paternalistic politicians. The last thing they would want is better education.

mmm...a Chinese businessman I was chatting with about developments in Thailand just smiled and said there is now too much Chinese interest in Thailand to let it descend into real chaos.

so I guess... welcome to China!

rych

No secret that Thailand falls within the China sphere of influence, and will so, more and more. But don't believe that guy; China loves chaos, it's they're strong suit (at least external to their borders). That's why every country that borders China has political problems of one sort or another.

If there's ever a coming global conflict, it won't be about good and evil, frre or totalitarian; it will be about chaos or order. Some vested interest make more under chaos, others make more under order.

Anyway, there is massive popular support for the gvt on this issue.

Right now, there are 6 (six) students who are protesting in front of the Singapore embassy...

You can read this on the "Todays's Big Stories" part of Nation's website... with the label "urgent".

http://www.nationmultimedia.com

Poll: Most back Singapore retaliation

More than 60 per cent of Bangkok residents agree with the government's action against Singapore, according to the Abac Poll released Thursday.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=116115

Seems then that the 'lets hate Singpapore' diversion tactic has to 60 percent worked in Bangkok, while the rest of the world shakes its head in bewilderment about the present Thai government's incompetence, as you can see in several major international magazines recently slamming the new economic policies here.

But as one of the 6 demonstators posters said: This is Thailand...

TWO international magazines.

This is what the Nation had to say about those articles.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/pag...amp;id=30024314

It was three: Newsweek, the Economist and the Asian Wall Street Journal, in addition to many national newspapers of different countries.

But of course - the internationally for its journalistic brilliance and scientific accuracy reknown newspaper "The Nation", of Bangkok/Thailand, being the center of the universe, has managed to wipe out those insignificant magazines.

No, actually, it is really really sad. I wish it would just be a joking matter.

A quote from the Nation:

Despite Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont's series of explanations at many venues, the philosophy has failed to sink in.

Is the problem maybe not with the audience, but with the lack of a logical explanation? We may be Farang, but we are not completely daft, and when explained in coherent way, we usually tend to understand.

I think its important to understand the scepticism expressed by international opinion is very widely shared, and frankly it doesn't matter exactly how many journals are involved.I have seen scathing opinions in the AWSJ, Economists and Financial Times but haven't kept count.Three elite financial journals are good enough for me to conclude there is a general concern.Only the thick skinned might conclude that there wasn't a pressing image problem for Thailand to address.The Nation commentary you reference is fairly fatuous and slovenly written so one assumes it wasn't penned by the normally very articulate Old Carthusian editor.The main problem is that it comically assumes the perception problem is that of foreign investors not of the authorities in Thailand, specifically the former's "misunderstanding" of the self sufficiency economy's meaning.With all the will in the world very few serious economists have the slightest idea what it means other than a set of admirable injunctions.As the Economist points out anything critical of it could be seen as lese-majeste, punishable with jail, hardly the climate in which a sensible and constructive debate can be held.

It was three: Newsweek, the Economist and the Asian Wall Street Journal, in addition to many national newspapers of different countries.

But of course - the internationally for its journalistic brilliance and scientific accuracy reknown newspaper "The Nation", of Bangkok/Thailand, being the center of the universe, has managed to wipe out those insignificant magazines.

No, actually, it is really really sad. I wish it would just be a joking matter.

A quote from the Nation:

Despite Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont's series of explanations at many venues, the philosophy has failed to sink in.
Is the problem maybe not with the audience, but with the lack of a logical explanation? We may be Farang, but we are not completely daft, and when explained in coherent way, we usually tend to understand.

Given that in the thirty years since this "philosophy' was postulated, exploitation of resources, human and natural has continued unabated, that coups have continued to depend on opacity of plans and motives, that greed and materialism have flourished, that corruption is accepted at all levels- that every aspect of the culture has been comodified for the enjoyment of foreigners- one must wonder whether Thais have understood it. If they can't- then how can anyone expect the foreign community to understand it?

I think its important to understand the scepticism expressed by international opinion is very widely shared, and frankly it doesn't matter exactly how many journals are involved.I have seen scathing opinions in the AWSJ, Economists and Financial Times but haven't kept count.Three elite financial journals are good enough for me to conclude there is a general concern.Only the thick skinned might conclude that there wasn't a pressing image problem for Thailand to address.The Nation commentary you reference is fairly fatuous and slovenly written so one assumes it wasn't penned by the normally very articulate Old Carthusian editor.The main problem is that it comically assumes the perception problem is that of foreign investors not of the authorities in Thailand, specifically the former's "misunderstanding" of the self sufficiency economy's meaning.With all the will in the world very few serious economists have the slightest idea what it means other than a set of admirable injunctions.As the Economist points out anything critical of it could be seen as lese-majeste, punishable with jail, hardly the climate in which a sensible and constructive debate can be held.

The philosophy is not self sufficiency, but sufficiency economy, in other words not everyone has to grow their own food but they should live within their means with goals related to a happy life, in other words don't be slaves to consumerism, thinking money and consumer objects automatically makes you happy.

Common sense.

I wouldn't be worried about the 'elite' financial journals, they are rather thickskinned regarding Thailand, in the sense of dense, not comprehending the nuances of Thailand.

How dare the middle class support a coup? It's anti democracy!

How dare they impose capital restrictions and use of nominees?

How come the stock market is holding up and tourist spots are full?

What will they say if FDI doesn't drop?

Given that in the thirty years since this "philosophy' was postulated, exploitation of resources, human and natural has continued unabated, that coups have continued to depend on opacity of plans and motives, that greed and materialism have flourished, that corruption is accepted at all levels- that every aspect of the culture has been comodified for the enjoyment of foreigners- one must wonder whether Thais have understood it. If they can't- then how can anyone expect the foreign community to understand it?

Sufficiency economy started out, and was most of the time, a very logical and reasonable system of small scale farming. Logical enough that on our farm we do this system very succesfully since several years. The system works, when certain parameters are met, very well. Parameters such as at least 10 Rai land per family, a small amount of rice land, and a larger amount of orchard land, a waterpond, etc.

The problem begins when this system becomes a dogma, and realities are suddenly not taken in consideration anymore. One reality is, that many areas of Thailand simply are not suitable for this system. Many areas are pure rice land in which they only possible crop is rice and high intensity fertiliser farming. Another reality is that there are simply too many farmers in Thailand that have not enough land even for this system. Every land reform so far has been halfarsed, and failed. One problem is that no government yet has dared to reposess the massive amounts of farm land held by the elite.

And, one other big problem is that this system is very labour intensive, and many young people simply are not willing to be a dirt poor peasant and prefer to work in the industry.

Far more important than trying to achieve this peasant paradise is to find ways to built up industry in the provinces to counter the enormous social damages of the migration to the few industrial centers. That should be one of the priorities of the national economic plan. And yes, promoting the sufficiency economy should be done, for the ones who are willing to do it. But then - give the farmers land, and support for the initial investment in machinery and the necessary lifestock.

You can't just promote something without the necessary work such as a land reform. It just fails from the start. Everything collapses when realities are not taken in account, and ideology dominates the debate.

And what baffles most economists is that there simply are no guidelines in the now national economy version of that once logic small scale farming system. And, as Younghusband explained - public debate is hardly possible. That is the death of every system, as well meant as it might be, when there is criticism not possible.

For us the sufficiency sytem on our farm is successful, because it is a financial improvement for my wifes family. And - it is not so that their children become peasants, but that they will one day have the choice - stay on the land, or learn a profession, go to university, whatever.

The philosophy is not self sufficiency, but sufficiency economy, in other words not everyone has to grow their own food but they should live within their means with goals related to a happy life, in other words don't be slaves to consumerism, thinking money and consumer objects automatically makes you happy.

Common sense.

Yes, everybody knows that there are nice intentions. What is completely lacking is what is generally considered an economic plan - no clear directives, calculations, and whatever else. Only a load of good intensions wide open to interpretition.

I guess you are familiar with the saying: The road to hel_l is paved with good intentions...

And yes, all but the Thais who agree with you (of course not the many Thai economists who don't, but are afraid of saying so) are not understanding the "nuances" of Thailand...don't we know that argument... :o

Unfortunately the present government does not appear to understand the nuances of economy, international politics, etc.

Edited by ColPyat