Above ground pool + Salt water chlorinator = Rust!!

Crossy

Our two year old above ground pool (Intex Ultra-Frame) pool is suffering from a severe, indeed terminal, case of the metal moth. It probably has, at best 6 months of life before the structural elements (top members) start to fail, verticals are largely OK so no danger of it collapsing, but it looks bad. I'll add some photos later to illustrate.

I'm pretty sure that things have not been helped by our salt-water chlorinator, the pool is available with a salt system as an option, so one would imagine that there ought to be few issues.

Anyway, it will need replacing.

So, do I replace like-for-like (I can get a good price) and give the new pool some extra rust prevention at the vulnerable areas (what coating would be recommended) before i assemble the beast, or is there an alternative brand with better finishing and less chance of corrosion? I do like the salt-water system as the chemistry stays in-balance without a lot of farting around, I just check the numbers and vacuum once a week.

I could actually go with replacing it by an in-ground (GRP) pool, budget doesn't stretch to a full concrete job.

Any and all thoughts welcomed, but in this instance money is an object!

EDIT I actually thought about getting our local stainless man to fabricate a new frame, the liner is in pretty good shape although somewhat bleached, could still be an option if he comes up with a sensible price.

As you can see the metal moth has been well at work.

The round thing approximately in the centre of the image is the spring-loaded locating pin.

20171212_163629.jpg

Since the rot is approaching the pin I've added these bolts to retain things and prevent the bits moving for a bit longer.

20171212_163635.jpg

Like I said earlier, I'm not looking to save this pool, just prevent the new one going the same way.

Any and all thoughts more than welcomed.

You can certainly have the parts copied here but they would need to be something like 304 stainless and the cost might be well beyond buying replacement steel parts. Accuracy would be quite important as assembly videos show the pool liner gets tension from the top ring of steel pipes.

I guess these pools are designed for quick assembly and disassembly. A more permanent design could use half rings for the liner with legs clamped to the ring between liner hooks.

To throw something else into the mix, Pattayapools.net list the pool we have at about 46k Baht.

Over simplifying the situation I know, but if a fibreglass pool costs, say, 460,000 Baht and an above ground pool lasts 2 years (I hope to get more out of one than that with some prep) then for the cost of the fibreglass pool I can get 20 year's worth of above ground pools (by which time the fibreglass pool would likely be end of life anyway).

316  is the way to go it is far more resistant to chlorides,  One of the projects i worked on in the UK was a 50 m  overflow pool  constructed of 316 s/s all welded joints, no tiles no grouting???

Swedish company constructed the whole tank.

So for a small pool considering labour costs in Thailand it is not a bad option.

If you go for replacement, check if plastic components are being used or at least plastic coating. If not consider applying a coating your self to stop the salt water damage. Chlorine & acidic water will also damage steel so stay with your salt system for obvious reasons!

There is someone in Issan starting to market these above ground pools "In Ground" I have spoke with them as they are clearly not aware of the ramifications. I was shouldered off as their point is, cheap cheap compared to concrete or fiberglass!!! If what the op has experience above ground, pity anyone would goes down this road. Buyer beware!!!  

4 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

If not consider applying a coating your self to stop the salt water damage.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Any suggestions of a coating that will do the job, will readily adhere to the existing paint, be hard wearing and (importantly) is readily available here?

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.

Any suggestions of a coating that will do the job, will readily adhere to the existing paint, be hard wearing and (importantly) is readily available here?

Personally I would get powder coated or epoxy 2 pack. Easy enough. 

Epoxy sounds like a plan. 

There are potential weak points where parts slide inside one another which will have to be coated after assembly (I suspect that it's these areas where the corrosion started in the existing pool).

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Epoxy sounds like a plan. 

There are potential weak points where parts slide inside one another which will have to be coated after assembly (I suspect that it's these areas where the corrosion started in the existing pool).

Just get a clear enamel spray. Fresh water clean & dry. Then spray the vulnerable areas. Do on a regular bases. 3 or 6 monthly. (maybe a little sanding prior) 

1 minute ago, Bagwain said:

Just get a clear enamel spray. Fresh water clean & dry. Then spray the vulnerable areas. Do on a regular bases. 3 or 6 monthly. (maybe a little sanding prior) 

You mean in addition to using epoxy, or instead of?

Yes a good coating of whatever is always advisable, but to me the problem you seem to have is the salt water getting into those joints 

All the other exposed tubing looks ok but the degree of cancer is within the tubular fitting 

I think you can save this by just getting the same & sealing those joints as to who says if you went with stainless that the "T" pieces wont rust out which will also need inspection 

4 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Yes a good coating of whatever is always advisable, but to me the problem you seem to have is the salt water getting into those joints 

Yup, the salt water wicking into the gap and of course the possibility (likelihood) of the (impossibly thin) finish being compromised when the parts are assembled.

I'm looking at the plethora of two-part epoxy coatings to treat all the bits and then coat and seal the joints once it's assembled. Prices don't seem ridiculous compared with the cost of the pool. A visit to our local paint chap is on the cards methinks.

Obviously, once epoxy is in the mix the pool is not being disassembled, ever!

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yup, the salt water wicking into the gap and of course the possibility (likelihood) of the (impossibly thin) finish being compromised when the parts are assembled.

I'm looking at the plethora of two-part epoxy coatings to treat all the bits and then coat and seal the joints once it's assembled. Prices don't seem ridiculous compared with the cost of the pool. A visit to our local paint chap is on the cards methinks.

Obviously, once epoxy is in the mix the pool is not being disassembled, ever!

Never say never!! 5555 Lots of experience in Australia with these above ground pools and there is always something going wrong. Mostly liner issues. 

9 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

Mostly liner issues. 

Oddly enough (touch wood) the liner has been (and is) fine, colour bleached out but no leaks or punctures. Shame the metalwork failed to live up to the liner. 

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Oddly enough (touch wood) the liner has been (and is) fine, colour bleached out but no leaks or punctures. Shame the metalwork failed to live up to the liner. 

Can you imagine one of these pools underground? Seen them collapse in Australia when they have done this. The only way is to fortify the surrounds with sand & cement to the full depth of the pool. 

• 11 months later...

An update, believe it or not the pool survived the summer although it was looking rather the worse for wear.

I bought a replacement pool a couple of months back but hadn't assembled it but since we are having a village party for Christmas it was time.

A while back we spoke to our local paint man, he recommended this stuff, a 2-part epoxy they use on steel barges!

Only available in matt black!

20181207_165839.jpg

So, a fair bit of painting (and going "wheee" breathing the epoxy thinner) I painted all the bits of the new pool getting inside as far as possible.

I was worried about the colour, but it actually looks ok, better than the standard grey methinks. That wonky leg has been straightened by the way.

20181207_165723.jpg

We shall see how it lasts compared to the untreated.

Archived