Northern Thailand Cycling Tour – Fighting Traffic – Phrae to Lampang

Inspire

Northern Thailand Cycling Tour – Fighting Traffic – Phrae to Lampang

This blog has been provided by BALDBRADY’S BLOG for Inspire.

blog21.jpg

I thought today would be one of the hardest days of the trip. It wasn’t particularly easy, but now that I’m comfortable here in Lampang, it doesn’t seem so bad. I guess after two weeks on the road my body is getting used to cycling 100+ km in a day.

I left Phrae just after 6 AM. My hotel had a breakfast buffet that was supposed begin at 6 AM, but by 6:05, it showed no sign of openning, so I hit the road without breakfast. I headed west out of town, and within a few kilometers I was winding and climbing into the mountains. The cool morning air and the intense green of the jungle brought back youthful memories of hiking in the Cascade Mountains near Seattle. I paused to admire a misty cloud hovering over a peaceful lake. If only I was riding on a dedicated bike path, just me and the jungle and the lake and the morning sounds of the jungle, instead of this narrow twisting kamikaze racetrack, with a 60 cm shoulder and all manner of vehicles, from motorcycles to 18-wheelers, whooshing impatiently by me. I’m glad to have survived.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/northern-thailand-cycling-tour-fighting-traffic-phrae-lampang/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-12-16

34 minutes ago, Jiggyfly said:

Doesn't anyone do any research before setting off on something like this. Coming to the No. 1 country for road deaths and rampant road rage is not a good plan.  Can't feel sorry for the OP, do more diligence next time, lucky you are alive.

I don't think he was looking for sympathy, I think he was posting about an adventure that he'd enjoyed.

If you look on the cycling forum, you'll see that there is a lot of debate on whether cycling in Thailand is particularly unsafe or not.

Anyway, he's safely back home and revisiting his memories; I reckon it will be six months before he tries something bigger

SC