Home cloud

craighj

Hello

I'm thinking about setting up my on home cloud system to store music, movies and photos on.  Using a QNAP multi disk system.  Trouble is I'm not that technically minded.

Does anyone know a company, vendor or someone who does this sort of stuff?

Craighj

The word 'cloud' is normally being associated with Internet-based or Internet accessible applications and storage services. If you're just wanting to access media files stored somewhere on your local local LAN or Wireless LAN then try looking for devices that are marketed as "Media Server", or "NAS" (Network Attached Storage).

There are a lot of How To's available on the Internet for buying or building your own Media Server. If you like kit projects you could even do a Raspberry Pi Media Server or Media Center project.

If you'd rather just purchase something then, as already mentioned, look for a hard drive enclosure that has onboard NAS or Media Server features.

Though you'll probably want to make sure whatever media playback device you're using (Smart TV, Computer, portable WiFi Smart Phone, Tablet or media playback box) is already compatible with what you're thinking about buying. With some Smart TVs it can be as simple as playing back videos by referencing an SMB folder shares on your network, while other TVs only work with specialized services like DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance), or a web browser that's looking for a device featuring a built-in Web Server to streaming back media files.

Edited by RichCor
raisins

Thanks all.

I live in Bangkok and my first thought was to find someone to set this up for me, buy the kit etc.  No doubt there will be shops / people who can do this.  Can someone recommend a publication or web site for this sort of thing?

Craighj

I didn't know anything about this before either and about 3 years ago bought a WD MyCloud Mirror NAS. 

OK, I understand these aren't the NAS of choice by tech aficionados but it was easy as pie to set up, no external help needed. Streams all around the home and from the internet if needed. Our Smart TVs can access it without an Android box attached using Plex or file search but I much prefer the Android/Kodi experience. 

Thanks all

I've been told both QNAP and Synology are very good.  What about a WD My Cloud Pro?  These are fully contained and are supposed to be very easy to get started.  I'm looking mainly at video streaming, sharing and remote access?  Sounds a lot easier that buying a NAS then hard drives then pulling it all together?

Craighj