Phuket’s captured ‘alien’ crocodile transferred to zoo

webfact

Phuket’s captured ‘alien’ crocodile transferred to zoo

By Salinee Prap 
The Nation

60f600862629023f5b9db3065daa4b6c.jpg

A 2.8-metre-long crocodile belonging to an “alien species” that was caught in Phuket province several months ago was transferred to the Phuket Zoo on Wednesday.

During the transfer ceremony at the Coastal Aquaculture Research and Development Regional Centre 5 in Thalang district, Phuket Zoo manager Pichai Sakulsorn signed a three-year agreement with Fisheries Department representative Paiboon Boonliptanont to take care of the reptile and to educated students on field trips about hybrid crocodiles.

The crocodile, which has been named Lay Pang, was found to originate from Phuket province but could not be released into the wild because of its “alien species” hybrid status. It was moved from the centre’s pond to a 20-metre enclosure at the 30-year-old zoo, which currently houses 200 crocodiles.

DNA and blood tests showed the crocodile was a mixed breed between Crocodolus siamensis and Crocodolus porosuswas.

The animal was first spotted in a large pond connected to three hotels in Phuket in August, which was originally part of an old mine. It was then captured on September 1 and sent to the centre.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30334385

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-20

So a big old salty went upriver, found a nice wee Siamese companion and made woopie.... and now the bairns have become undocumented aliens.

or... if truly alien... I hope the Thais treat it better than most caged animals, because when the mothership returns, we could all be knee deep in angry “aliens”.... (C’mon, i know you saw the movie ?)... and we don’t want that, do we?

4147B439-18C6-47DF-9053-1D43F12229BD.jpeg