Diabetic / What type of sweeteners to use?

moonseeker

Dear all:

I am trying to inform myself on the subject DIABETES 2. There is so much contradicting and confusing info, even on "top-sites."

Maybe somebody who is up-to-date and informed can help me out here. 

-Bread.....Really hard to live without it......Any suggestions...

-Sugar....What is the best substitute available here in Thailand?

-Marmalade....Any ready made or should I try to do myself?

Any other hints on proper food to reverse my diagnosis much appreciated. Also fighting a bad cancer and need to be fit.

**MERRY CHRISTMAS**     MS>

Start off by visiting an endocrine doctor.

Also consider the following:

Eat no more than 29 grams of carbohydrates per meal.

Avoid beer. Spirits, such as vodka, are okay... obviously in moderation.

Exercise at 20-30 minutes per day, whether this be walking, running, bicycling, etc.

Edit:

I forgot to mention... avoid rice at all costs!

Edited by Gumballl

Thank you. Good start....The bread and sweetener part is of concern for me. My diabetes probably caused by cancer treatment on top of very sweet tooth and bad nutrition. Not overweight, don't drink and superactive. Think I will get this under control fast. Bread  chocolate and juices missed badly... ? MS>

get yerself a blood glucose meter and try different food combinations...whatever you eat there will be a BG spike and the idea is to keep it to a manageable and safe level and to obtain a good fasting BG reading...keep a log of what you eat and test yer BG after meals and log the readings...you can then estimate what you can and cannot eat...it will take a few months to get a handle on it...

I got my BG down to almost normal occasionally eating things like instant noodles, bread and potatoes which should be a big no - no, mostly ate lean meat and vegetables...you need to see what yer system can take...you may find that a small amount of refined sugar may not do a lot of damage in a couple of cups of coffee per day if there is no other sweetener to be had...

it's very important to keep the BG under control and the only way of knowing is when you test frequently and correlate the reading with what you've eaten...most of the stuff you read are just guidelines...

sorta like: 'yeah...ice cream sandwiches are not a good idea...'

and I sure do like ice cream sandwiches...

5 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Thank you. Good start....The bread and sweetener part is of concern for me. My diabetes probably caused by cancer treatment on top of very sweet tooth and bad nutrition. Not overweight, don't drink and superactive. Think I will get this under control fast. Bread  chocolate and juices missed badly... ? MS>

bread is manageable, chocolate no, but don't deprive yerself completely, a cornetto now and then won't hurt, just balance with whatever else you eat that day and test, test...for juices try some soda water with a splash of what you like to give some flavor...avoid all the packaged drinks, pure sugar...also fresh squeezed juices as natural fructose is just as deadly as raw sugar with regard to blood glucose...

mango season will be upon us soon and I stock up on the insulin to offset the fructose overload as they are hard to resist...metformin is good and cheap but in large daily doses is not good for yer liver and kidneys...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Second the idea to look at the keto(genic) diet. Many, many people have reversed their type 2 diabetes with keto; and it will improve your health generally.

You have to switch your body to burning fat rather than carbs, and indeed the first two weeks are tough! But once you have made the switch your energy levels skyrocket, your normal hunger pangs disappear, and you feel good!

But it is something you have to commit to, and it will probably mean giving up some favourites; but on the positive side their are some delicious keto meals (the web is awash with recipes) to compensate. You have to be extremely selective when you eat out, and be aware of the carb/protein/fat mix when you prepare food at home. Some good phone apps to help with checking your food.

Bread - make your own e.g. https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/the-keto-bread
Sugar - Stevia drops (not the crap you find in the supermarket) - https://healthfoodthailand.com/en/home/930-stevia-liquid-90ml-.html?search_query=stevia&results=5
But Stevia does have a taste and personally I prefer Erythritol  - https://healtholicious.com/products/non-gmo-erythritol-zero-calorie-zero-net-carb-sweetener-with-no-aftertaste
Marmalade - Make your own -https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/09/10/orange-marmalade/

Basically put the word "keto" in front of any food that interests you in your search browser and find out whether it is safe to eat, or alternatives.

Some good Facebook support groups with many people telling their diabetes reversal stories.

Good luck!

In terms of sweeteners available here:

-  sucralose (many brand names, including Trusalen) - most of the supermarkets have it

- Stevia - a little harder to find. more upscale markets have it

Please ignore some of the posts above - type 2 diabetes can be controlled,  and many peoplke are able to maintain a normal blood sugar without medication through diet and exercise, but it cannot be "reversed" -- were they to revert back to their prior eatimng habits it owuld recur.

A keto diet is a very extreme diet which is not without adverse effects. Most people are also unable to stick to it long term, and for type 2 diabetes what you need are dietary changes you can stick to long term. You are better off with moderate improvements you can adhere to than trying for an extreme change.

Don't overlook exercise, it is as important as diet. It need not be heavy workouts at a gym. Even 10 minutes of brisk walking a few times a week will help, every day of course is better,