Certification of Education for Work Permit

Hey there folks,

Sorry if you get this question a lot, but I tried the search and looked back about 10-pages on the Visa's page to no avail, so I'll ask my no-brainer here.  Help appreciated ahead of time.

About to apply for my Work Permit for my Volunteer Visa (doing translation work, consultation, creating art installations, teaching meditation) with a charity.  I have a letter from my former employer certifying I have experience doing all of this work for over five years already (as a monk) and I'm planning on bringing a copy of my Bachelor's Degree as well, just in case.

My question is:

Is a photocopy of my Bachelor's enough to satisfy the requirements for the work permit, if I also have a letter from my former employer?  Do I need it notified or some sort of official, legal recognition that this document is true?  Any other advice before I waste another day waiting to be told no?

Many thanks for your time and your help,

B

I am doing a lot of reading on work permits myself so I happened upon your topic. Why dont you bring all your certificates anyway - give them some airing and appreciation of another's viewing that they surely deserve:-)  Scan them and save a copy of all your bona fides in a folder in your gmail account. Are you still a monk? Are you a regular monk or a career monk? 

Not all work-permit applications require proof of a degree.  Working as an English teacher is one case where you do.

In most cases, the key to successfully getting your work-permit is having your sponsoring company/organization get the paperwork together correctly.  If they have done this many times before, you should be OK.  I would ask them if they need any of your credentials, and in what format, to facilitate the process.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, Julie Dias said:

Please clarify. 

If That Organization has done this many times before, then they should know what to do, and what they will need.  Only they can tell you what is needed.

Edit:  If they have not done this many times before and/or do not have staff who handle these, they may use a lawyer or agent, in which case the lawyer/agent will be the one handling things who knows what is necessary for this scenario.   Some orgs will ask you to pay for this service.

Edited by JackThompson

If you need a college degree for your work permit; it is interesting that no one mentioned providing your transcripts from your university. The transcripts verify the courses you took, the grades you made, and whether or not you graduated. However, even that is no assurance the individual has a degree. Numerous online sites offer degrees for a fee and for additional fees some will also provide transcripts. It is curious that some people who do not have the wherewithal to legitimately acquire a degree continuously lie about having one--so much so that an entire industry has grown-up around producing fake degrees.

15 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Not all work-permit applications require proof of a degree.  Working as an English teacher is one case where you do.

In most cases, the key to successfully getting your work-permit is having your sponsoring company/organization get the paperwork together correctly.  If they have done this many times before, you should be OK.  I would ask them if they need any of your credentials, and in what format, to facilitate the process.

Actually, teacher is the ONLY job that legally requires the employee to have a degree.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Could you quote the relevant sections of Thai law that confirm this please?

Many thanks in advance.

If you read through the paperwork required to get a Non-B or a Non-B for teaching at Immigration, you will clearly see that the word "degree" is not used for the former, but is for the latter.

ChangevisatoNon-Bdocs.pdf

changevisatoNon-B-teachingdocs.pdf

7 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

If you read through the paperwork required to get a Non-B or a Non-B for teaching at Immigration, you will clearly see that the word "degree" is not used for the former, but is for the latter.

The discussion was about getting a work permit not doing a visa application or extension of stay at immigration.

There are cases other than teaching when a degree is required other than teaching. It is required if the job a person is going to have requires one. For example some engineering positions require a degree (and a license).

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The discussion was about getting a work permit not doing a visa application or extension of stay at immigration.

There are cases other than teaching when a degree is required other than teaching. It is required if the job a person is going to have requires one. For example some engineering positions require a degree (and a license).

I agree, but the degree is then a requirement of the job, not the law.

5 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

I agree, but the degree is then a requirement of the job, not the law.

Actually many requirements are not under any "law". The are under ministerial orders.

I think if you were to go through the Working Alien Act which is the "law" for work permits you will not find anywhere it mentions a degree.

• Like 1

Thank you to everyone who replied.

My organization has been around for some time but they've never sponsored a foreigner before. Thus, we are currently bouncing around immigration and fuddling a bit about. I will just go in and speak directly with them and see what they need.

You would think that transcripts would be the gold standard here but they simply are not, You really need an actual diploma. 

You can get your diploma authenticated by the secretary of state in the state you live in. 

If you are already here you can fill out a notarized letter in the local embassy stating that everything is correct and they probably will accept that.

My best advice is to get your Diploma authenticated while in America. China now requires that as well as more and more countries. You only need to do it once.