20-km-long congestion on main road to lower Northeast

rooster59

20-km-long congestion on main road to lower Northeast

By The Nation

c1674f999865381c1b54ad4c8e7a9c38.jpeg

Isaan people who left Bangkok to drive to their homes in the lower Northeast were caught in a huge bottleneck on a main hill road in Sa Kaew, authorities reported.

At 9am, the line of vehicles on the main road at the Ban Mai Thai Thavorn intersection in Tambon Thapparaj in Sa Kaew’s Ta Phraya district stretched back for more than 20 kilometres.

The congestion started on the mountainous Khao Chong Tako road, a main gateway to the lower Northeast. Authorities said vehicles started slowing down and accumulating at the spot on Friday evening.

The congestion prompted Ta Phraya district chief Arayan Thayai to recommend that motorists use an alternative route passing through Khao Ta Kiew road to Buri Ram instead.

Officials expected that the congestion would ease on Sunday.

Meanwhile, at the Aranyaprathet border checkpoint, large numbers of Cambodian migrants were seen crossing the border back home for the New Year holidays.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30335112

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-30

"The congestion prompted Ta Phraya district chief Arayan Thayai to recommend that motorists use an alternative route passing through Khao Ta Kiew road to Buri Ram instead."

how for heavens sake should you use an "alternative road" when the bottleneck remains to be the bottleneck  and an alternative road just does not exist???

Tha Phraya Pass is still the bottleneck, regardless which route you take to reach it ! 

Funny the police seem to think:  If we make them use other roads to get to the bottleneck, maybe they don't reach Tha Phraya pass all together at the same time

Edited by crazygreg44

there are only THREE major routes from Bangkok and Rayong to the Isaan Highlands. And they will be congested every year around New Year and Songkhran, just because there are too many people trying to use them at the same time

It is the No. 2  Saraburi/ Chok Chai,  the Kabin Buri/ Pak Chong 304 and the Sakeo/Tha Phraya route. 

The general has recently spoken about the need for a "new cowweb of roads" leading into the Isaan.  I tend to believe, if you only widen the existing three routes and rebuild them into four or six lane (2 and 3 lanes one direction and a possibility to direct the flow into the opposing lane during the few days of New Year and Songkhran) they would handle the Isaan bound traffic during the holidays

Once you pass the three existing bottlenecks, the traffic always starts to flow much easier. I have already used all three routes during Songkhran and New Year myself, and let me tell you, there is a solution, they just need to open their eyes and let their brain windings start revolving about what to do with the bottlenecks. 

Edited by crazygreg44

Many years ago I had to go to Taipei for a fews days, and against my wife's advice I drove to Suvarnabhumi arriving back on Dec 30th.

The drive back started fine, then it started. Total gridlock all the way. A drive that normally would take me 5 hours, ended up a 12 hour drive from Hell.

Never ever again did I make that mistake. No matter what the airline surge pricing is, a 50 min flight to Khon Kaen beats that madness

Back in July during Khao pen sai (sp?) It took me 6 hours to get from Bangkok to saraburi in the way to Surin. I finally gave up and got a room at midnight. I got back on the road at 5 am and it was just as bad. Took a few off road shortcuts in Korat thanks to Google maps. Still didn't make it to Surin until about noon.

Best to stay in Bangkok during any holidays if possible. 

All the gold the Isaan princesses are carting back home seems to be the, allegedly, major cause of the bottlenecks.

Mind you I've had the opposite..try driving into bangkok on the last day of a long weekend.!! 150 km go slow/traffic jam

Edited by tryasimight