German tourist suffers head injuries in Phuket motorbike crash

snoop1130

German tourist suffers head injuries in Phuket motorbike crash

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1514889216_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- A German man is in hospital with serious head injuries after the motorbike he was riding collided with a car being driven by an American woman in Chalong this morning (Jan 2).

Lt Chanat Hongsittichaikul of the Chalong Police was informed of the accident, on Chao Fa West Rd, at the intersection with Soi Thanuthep and Soi Yodsanae, at 11am.

At the scene police and rescue workers found German national Thorsten Manuel Rudolf Rabl, 43, from Altotting, on the ground suffering from a serious head injury.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/german-tourist-suffers-head-injuries-in-phuket-motorbike-crash-65378.php#eoMCT2A6PFisZ0Am.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-1-2

“According to CCTV, we can clearly see Mr Rabl crossing through the intersection as the lights were changing,” Lt Chanat explained.

“However, a white Honda Brio being driven by a Ms Ravit Goldstein, 46, passed through the intersection while the lights were changing from amber to red,” he said.

Traffic lights are supposed to be timed so that all directions are red upon a change of illumination.  In the UK, the red clearance standard is 2 seconds.  In the US, it is anywhere from 0-3 seconds depending on the length of the amber(yellow) signal.  In any event, at least for a split-second, all directions should have a red light.  Here, the CCTV shows the traffic lights were changing at the same time.  That would be huge liability for the local highways department in the west.  Ms. Goldstein will probably pick up a huge part of Mr. Rabl's hospital bill (insurance won't cover much) . . . because this is Thailand and we all know they don't know f'all about traffic light timing.  

Some  knob in shorts flip flops and nothing else has been ragging up and down the main street in Kamala all afternoon- racing between the two sets of lights.

I would never normally wish ill on anyone but I think the gene oool may improve if he carries on in this manner for another day or so.

Edited by Psimbo

13 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Traffic lights are supposed to be timed so that all directions are red upon a change of illumination.  In the UK, the red clearance standard is 2 seconds.  In the US, it is anywhere from 0-3 seconds depending on the length of the amber(yellow) signal.  In any event, at least for a split-second, all directions should have a red light.  Here, the CCTV shows the traffic lights were changing at the same time.  That would be huge liability for the local highways department in the west.  Ms. Goldstein will probably pick up a huge part of Mr. Rabl's hospital bill (insurance won't cover much) . . . because this is Thailand and we all know they don't know f'all about traffic light timing.  

Both going through the same set of lights

Yellow means stop. unless you can't. I have seen as many as 30 cars at a time

run a red light in Thailand. As long as you follow the bumper of the car in front of

you the lights are only a recommendation. 

23 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Unless you have access to the CCTV footage, what we see here is a car running a red and hitting a motorbike, everything you mention is just blah blah!

I was at the scene yesterday. Didn't see it happen but I stopped in case they needed help with translations, which is often the case between tourists and police. 

He was in pretty bad shape. His helmet was smashed on impact. Was one of those typical super cheap things they give out with rental bikes. Dont help much...

I assume they were both going fast from the damage to the car.

Not sure who was at fault. But the lady who drove the car, continued to mumble that her light was not red.

Edited by thaibutty

Just had another look at the picture.

As I know this traffic light very well I have to say that the car might not be at fault at all.

Actually there are two lights. One for traffic going straight and one for right turn. 

It seems as if the indicated 8 seconds are for right turn. Right turn only turns green after straight is on red for 3 seconds.

Which means that straight is still on green and the car was not at fault.

The motorbike probably misjudged that and turned left into the little road leading up to Big Buddha.

12 hours ago, thaibutty said:

Just had another look at the picture.

As I know this traffic light very well I have to say that the car might not be at fault at all.

Actually there are two lights. One for traffic going straight and one for right turn. 

It seems as if the indicated 8 seconds are for right turn. Right turn only turns green after straight is on red for 3 seconds.

Which means that straight is still on green and the car was not at fault.

The motorbike probably misjudged that and turned left into the little road leading up to Big Buddha.

While right turn is green, it is green for both direction. Straight on is red for both directions.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

While right turn is green, it is green for both direction. Straight on is red for both directions.

Maybe, but, the light for straight on isn't working (Chao Fah West). If you are coming out of Soi Tanutep, red lights for right turn and straight is not working. Been like that for weeks.

The car ran a red light, except, she couldn't have known it was a red light as it wasn't working.

The real guilty party is the government department that is responsible for maintaining traffic lights.

Edited by KarenBravo

8 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Maybe, but, the light for straight on isn't working (Chao Fah West). If you are coming out of Soi Tanutep, red lights for right turn and straight is not working. Been like that for weeks.

The car ran a red light, except, she couldn't have known it was a red light as it wasn't working.

The real guilty party is the government department that is responsible for maintaining traffic lights.

I think one of the lights is working? There are 2, one street level, one higher up.

16 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

head injury must mean no helmet or a cheap one

See the op, he was wearing a helmet, but yes, probably a cheap one.

But also with a good helmet head injuries can and do occur.

Duty Richard Cranium has been roaring up and down the street today again, straight past a traffic cop at one point.  Looks like one of the French Araby types and no helmet. Still waiting for natural selection- unfortunately he'll probably harm someone else in the process.

With the loss of Laem Singh beach a lot of them seem to be gravitating towards the north end of Kamala Beach now, so get nearly the full length of the 'Racetrack' to play with.