US planning military depot in Thailand: Report

webfact

US planning military depot in Thailand: Report

BANGKOK • The United States plans to set up a military arms maintenance centre in Thailand to supply and fix US armaments purchased by the Thai military, according to a Thai defence ministry source.

Although the US has not yet specified where it wants the centre located, the source revealed that the matter was discussed in the latest defence strategic talks between both countries, Bangkok Post reported yesterday.

The meeting was held at the Pentagon last month, and was attended by Thailand's defence ministry permanent secretary Theppong Thippayachan. It was chaired by top Pentagon adviser for Asian and Pacific security affairs David Helvey, the report said.

Full story: http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/us-planning-military-depot-in-thailand-report

-- THE STRAITS TIMES 2018-01-04

40 minutes ago, JAG said:

I suppose it makes sense. They have a lot of US kit, much of which is broken.
I understand that the busiest chaps on Ex Cobra Gold are the US armourers and mechanics...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Remember the plan to use convicts to repair and manufacture arms?

What a great opportunity for their apprenticeships!

A plan coming together - love it! What could possible go wrong :whistling:

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Remember the plan to use convicts to repair and manufacture arms?

What a great opportunity for their apprenticeships!

A plan coming together - love it! What could possible go wrong :whistling:

give me that brimstone missile, we is experts

5 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Logically the former-US airbase at Utapao, close to the military-port of Sattahip, which is also often used during Cobra Gold exercises, might be a good place to put it ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Tapao_Royal_Thai_Navy_Airfield

Utapao has been renamed, revamped and is now a functioning commercial airport.  There is no room for military ordinance or personnel. 

Utapao has been renamed and is a commercial airport but I can guarantee that US military aircraft use it often and there is a huge section of the base that you cannot enter and is restricted for the military There is plenty of ordnance and there are plenty of Thai EOD teams assigned. 

3 hours ago, The manic said:

Utapao has been renamed, revamped and is now a functioning commercial airport.  There is no room for military ordinance or personnel. 

" U-Tapao Royal Thai Navy Airfield is a military airfield of the Royal Thai Navy approximately 140 kilometres (87 mi) southeast of Bangkok in the Ban Chang District of Rayong Province near Sattahip on the Gulf of Siam. It is serves as the home of the Royal Thai Navy First Air Wing. "

and 

" U-Tapao is the main flying base for the Royal Thai Navy. Squadrons based there include:

Two squadrons are dormant

• No 104 Squadron which flew 14 A-7E and 4 TA-7C Corsair strike aircraft
  • No 301 Squadron which flew AV-8S and TAV-8S (two aircraft) "

...  which is pretty good going, for a place which has  "no room for military ordinance or personnel", perhaps it is joint-use by the military & commercial-aviation, as with Don Muang in Bangkok ? :wink:

At least, that's certainly what it looks like to me, whenever I pass through there.