Do the Schengen travel inssurance, is refundable in case the visa is denied ?

I am gonna ask a Schengen Visa, for my partner, I would like to ask if the Travel Inssurance (30,000euros coverage), is usually refundable, is ever the visa is getting denied.

The Embassy is asking the Travel Inssurance during the application, and I don't want to argue to them, normally is need to give them later. As they can be mad 

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

Yes, it's refundable.

At least the one from Bupa, that we got to years ago, had a refund clause in case the visa wasn't approved.

Ok, nice, I'll ask them if it's again on the clause. then I'll go apply with them

I know from applying through a couple of different embassies that they have a list of approved insurance companies. All of those are supposed to give a refund if the visa is declined. If your visa is declined and the company doesn’t refund you the embassy asks that you report it to them to follow up. 

4 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Depends what Insurance Company. European rather not. Some Asian do.

All eligible medical travel insurances should be refundable (minus perhaps a small administrative fee).  If the company doesn't do refunds then strictly speaking the insurance us not up to the standards required for a Schengen visa.

Pick a company from the list of confirmed companies or you (as a third party) may pick a well known European company. Those should all refund you incase of a visa refusal.

12 hours ago, KBsinter said:

I got the distinct

impression at the spanish shengen visa place as did my mrs it was necessary for the issue of the visa

Got refused twice by Spain, for no good reason, didn't apply for refund because we used for UK visa. Good luck to anyone applying for Schengen via Spain.

• 4 weeks later...

Does a Thai National need Travel insurance if their normal Health Insurance coverage also includes full coverage in EU?

My GF & I have health insurance policy with 32M THB coverage that also includes various zones around the world (including EU).  It would seem silly to buy Travel Insurance when we're already covered.  BUT I can understand it being one of those 'checklist' items rather than a logical item.

Thank you.

You don't happen to be an EU/EEA  national traveling to an other EU/WWW country with "durable partner in a relation akin to marriage" (or spouse)? If you do insurance etc is not required and the visa is issued for free with minimum paperwork, hassle or delay. See the Schengen sticky for details if traveling under Freedom of Movement directive 2004/38. 

If you need a regular Schengen visa she should be okay if she shows she has proper medical coverage. EU home affairs writes in their handbook for embassy staff:

-----

6.3.1. Who is exempt from presenting proof of travel medical insurance? 
Holders of diplomatic passports do not have to present proof of travel medical insurance. 
Family members of EU and Swiss citizens are exempted from the requirement to produce 
travel medical insurance. This exemption is in line with the exemption of this category of 
persons from filling in field no. 33 of the application form. 
The insurance requirement may be considered to have been met where it is established that an 
adequate level of medical insurance may be presumed in the light of the applicant's 
professional situation. The exemption from presenting proof of travel medical insurance may 
concern particular professional groups, such as seafarers, who are already covered by travel 
medical insurance as a result of their professional activities. 
Persons applying for an airport transit visa are not required to present proof of travel medical 
insurance, as holders of such visa are not allowed to enter into the territory of Member States. 

6.3.2. What is an adequate travel medical insurance? 
The insurance shall be valid throughout the territory of the Member States and cover the 
entire period of the applicant's intended stay or transit within the validity of the visa, i.e. the 
insurance shall only cover the period of effective stay, and not the validity of the visa. 
The minimum coverage shall be EUR 30 000. 
Certain credit card companies include travel insurance as one of the advantages of the credit 
card. If the coverage offered is in conformity with the criteria in the Visa Code, such credit 
cards may be accepted as valid insurance. 

If the insurance presented is not considered adequate, this should not automatically lead to 
refusal of the visa application, but the applicant should be allowed to provide such proof 
before the final decision on the application can be taken. 
Within local Schengen cooperation, information on insurance companies offering adequate 
travel medical insurance, including verification of the type of coverage, should be shared, see 
Handbook for the organisation of visa sections and local Schengen cooperation, Part II, point

----

Source: see the links in this message: 

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, JoeW said:

I don't think it's refundable, but it only costs around 1,200 THB. Get the insurance and you'll probably get your Schengen visa without much issues.

Whether it is refundable or not depends on the insurance company you use. Somed will refund some will not. You need to read their terms and conditions

Archived