Teen motorcyclist impaled on back of pick-up; friend breaks leg in serious condition

rooster59

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not enough THAI people care enough to do anything.

TVF is full of posters that apparently want LOS to be just like wherever they came from.

I don't want Thailand to be "just like wherever they came from", but some modest enforcement of existing Thai traffic laws would be a good place to start in reducing the amount of carnage on the roads.

I drive a pickup defensively and would likely survive anything but a very serious accident. I somehow don't think that taking underage kids (without driving licenses) off the road would be the slippery slope to the nanny state that is where I came from, and it might just possibly reduce the amount of deaths that occur daily in my adopted country.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't blame the parents for their child's stupidity.

You may not have noticed, but Thai kids start riding on m'bikes even before old enough to walk, and are probably far better riders than us westerners that don't start till we are old enough to get a licence.

Riding ability is not the same as the stupidity of riding extremely fast and killing oneself by not being able to avoid a very large object in front. I have seen many a soon to die young Thai boy flying down the road on a m'bike, but I doubt they have much in the way of common sense.

Yes you absolutely can blame the parents for the child's stupidity. Giving an under age teen a motorcycle is a recipe for disaster (as supported by the casualty statistics for the roads in Thailand). Parents should not be allowing underage teens to drive motor bikes on the highways of Thailand (back roads in a mooban maybe, but actual roads and highways is totally irresponsible and reckless.

I am not doubting the high volume of motorcycle accidents in Thailand, or the total road death statistics.

However until figures show categorically that school children driving to school is contributing an excessive volume to the total, I remain of the opinion that drink, speeding, lack of judgement and ability, by the elder members of the population, are responsible for the high figures.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL

That means it is the parents responsibility to create an understanding in relation to the law and rules.

Seriously? You think Thailand is populated by "responsible" people that think the "rules" are important? 

I love LOS but I know better than that. It's probably one of the reasons that I love Thailand, because they don't ( in general and not specifically to road rules ). If they suddenly lost their sanuk and became just another nation of sheeple it wouldn't be LOS anymore. It'd be like the humour devoid, over policed state I came from.

If you don´t have a licence, then you are simply not allowed to drive.

Do tell.

Not only do they drive without, they drive without number plates, registration, insurance, safety checks, helmets or anything else they consider unimportant.

I've seen people doing illegal U turns IN FRONT OF COPS, and nothing done.

So u are happy there are no rules then  You said you love Thailand because they dont abide to road rules Wow Your realize by not abiding to road rules has a high price  I love Thailand because i want to see the people go forward and be happy not some bunch of lunatics on the road trying kill themselves or others  It is truly sad that u laugh when people have no number plates etc maybe you should go live in the Amazon jungle where it is the rule of the jungle Oh one last question You think it is great that Thais  think rules are not important ?  I ask What would you do if you were attacked by a gang of Thais walking down the street? Say go right ahead guys because i understand that you guys do not think rules are important so do what you like and i will keep,smiling5555555555555555

8 hours ago, Ahab said:

Yes you absolutely can blame the parents for the child's stupidity. Giving an under age teen a motorcycle is a recipe for disaster (as supported by the casualty statistics for the roads in Thailand). Parents should not be allowing underage teens to drive motor bikes on the highways of Thailand (back roads in a mooban maybe, but actual roads and highways is totally irresponsible and reckless.

Ahab you absolutely right  The  question here is Who is the Adult and role model in a household? Who do most kids follow and look up to? Question for the beach lover?  If you knew that your kid was a great shot with a gun but was only12 years old Would you buy him/her a gun Sure Thai kids maybe whizzes on bikes but do they know the safety, the laws,how to operate the bike in a way that they are not a danger to themselves or anybody else on the road?

Laws are put into place to  protect people not something that should be taken as joke Dont we all want kids to live a long and prosperous life and not be some statistic on the road

7 hours ago, 473geo said:

I am not doubting the high volume of motorcycle accidents in Thailand, or the total road death statistics.

However until figures show categorically that school children driving to school is contributing an excessive volume to the total, I remain of the opinion that drink, speeding, lack of judgement and ability, by the elder members of the population, are responsible for the high figures.

You may be right about drink driving etc causing the deaths on the roads  But it is the law that people in Thailand who want to ride a bike must be 16 and get a license  Is that a bad law or do you want to change it? If you have no laws in Thailand None at all What you think will happen? There would be utter chaos murders rapes robberies How would you deal with  that? Kids may not be contributing much to the Death toll but its against the law and by letting that happen shows me safety and laws mean nothing to you Very sad situation we have then I went to a funeral many years ago in my home country 2 boys 12 and 13 took dad's car for a drive on the back roads because dad thought Hey they are country boys and they can handle and drive a car Dad was right they could handle a car But what they could not handle is when they got into a situation and lost control of the car is how to deal with that They died ran straight into tree R.I.P. boys Lives lost when it did not have to be that way by people who think its ok for kids to ride or drive vehicles When i was a kid i had a pushbike  Yes they do have pushbikes in Thailand Maybe a better option than a motorbike till the child is ready to get a license dont you think?

On 1/6/2018 at 9:44 AM, Bob12345 said:

To their defense; if the parents were responsible and told the kid not to ride the bike the kid probably couldnt go to school. Or a parent had to stop working in which case he could be brought there, but then they could not pay the tuition or the house they live in.

Its not all that simple.

Many have a  school  bus to collect them , certainly in my  village they do, although the driver thinks he's a  racer  too!

On 1/6/2018 at 2:27 PM, sawadee1947 said:

these days I saw a young boy on his bike. He looked very young indeed. I asked him......he was 9......!!!!!!!!! His mother sent him for buying MAMA. What is going on in his Mom's head`?

No further comment

In many cases this  is  all very very simple most THAIS ARE LAZY  but we  mustn't mention it as it's "Thai Bashing"

I have never  seen such a lazy race of  people but I haven't  travelled the entire  world yet although my cousin whose a  civil engineer relates exactly the same type  of behaviour in Indonesia on his projects  there.

I used to walk to school and back daily so i could save the bus  fare for other things, it was 3  miles  each way, other kids  caught the  bus and were often late!! My Wife used to walk to school in Loei but she says exactly the same now, Thais are lazy, dont want to work  hard just want an  easy job sitting  down all day even if the salary is half what they could get with some harder  work.

Everyday I see underage kids driving motorcycles - some as young as 10 - when school lets out at 4:00 there are numerous 12-14 year old hot rodders street racing and doing wheelies.   Many of the bikes have two or 3 kids on them.  Parents are unconcerned - police are nowhere to be seen.  

I always wonder which family will be having the next funeral!

2 hours ago, gunderhill said:

In many cases this  is  all very very simple most THAIS ARE LAZY  but we  mustn't mention it as it's "Thai Bashing"

I have never  seen such a lazy race of  people but I haven't  travelled the entire  world yet although my cousin whose a  civil engineer relates exactly the same type  of behaviour in Indonesia on his projects  there.

I used to walk to school and back daily so i could save the bus  fare for other things, it was 3  miles  each way, other kids  caught the  bus and were often late!! My Wife used to walk to school in Loei but she says exactly the same now, Thais are lazy, dont want to work  hard just want an  easy job sitting  down all day even if the salary is half what they could get with some harder  work.

That is the point i been saying all the time If Thais were not so lazy there would not be 1 million foreign workers in this country doing jobs they can do Its not Thai bashing I would say the same thing from my home country if i saw men sitting around and foreign workers doing there jobs Question why do underage Thai kids have to ride a motor bike to school when they are pushbikes? When i use to go to school we use to have racks where you put your pushbike in Come to think of it. Has anybody seen racks of pushbikes at school here? Motor bikes and mobile phones way of life now Saw the craziest thing to day and still laughing about it. My step daughter went to the toilet and took her mobile phone with her My god what have we become when you cant even go to the toilet with out the phone  I laughed at her when she came out Geez is it that bad now?

On 1/5/2018 at 5:36 PM, Get Real said:

If he had responsible parents, he would not have been driving the motorbike at 14 years of age.

More mindless bashing?  I was legally licensed to ride a motorcycle at 14 in the USA.  Many kids 10 or 12 years old are already extremely proficient on off-road motorbikes, as was I.  I submit that youth was not the culprit here; rather, the lack of proper instruction.

So I'm riding along, watching my speed, checking my distance from the car in front, checking my mirrors, and there he goes past me another dip s%^& riding flat out on his Fino. How the <deleted> can you ever stop that without education and advice from mum and dad and proper training? 

More traffic on the roads, less training, it will get worse and worse here. Mark my words. But, hey, I'm just a nobody.:smile:

8 minutes ago, jing jing said:

More mindless bashing?  I was legally licensed to ride a motorcycle at 14 in the USA.  Many kids 10 or 12 years old are already extremely proficient on off-road motorbikes, as was I.  I submit that youth was not the culprit here; rather, the lack of proper instruction.

Proficient in off road situations is one thing. Learning road craft is a totally different ball game. USA 14? I'm glad that in the UK you have to be 16 to get on a restricted (30mph) moped.

4 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

So I'm riding along, watching my speed, checking my distance from the car in front, checking my mirrors, and there he goes past me another dip s%^& riding flat out on his Fino. How the F can you ever stop that without education and advice from mum and dad and proper training? 

More traffic on the roads, less training, it will get worse and worse here. Mark my words. But, hey, I'm just a nobody.:smile:

Education and advice, absolutely.  It needs to start as young as possible. Up the country is a totally different road environment from Bkk or Ptown, as well. 

12 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

Proficient in off road situations is one thing. Learning road craft is a totally different ball game. USA 14? I'm glad that in the UK you have to be 16 to get on a restricted (30mph) moped.

Yet Marc Marquez was able to compete successfully in 125cc World Championship motorcycle racing at age 15.  I wonder at what age he began racing motorcycles - arguably just as challenging, if not more so, as puttering across town on a Honda Wave?

No matter what the factors are which contributed to this terrible accident, I believe there ought to be far better training available to young riders and drivers in Thailand, but realistically, how would such programs be funded?  There should be at least some mandatory classroom instruction pertaining to vehicle dynamics, safe operation under varying weather conditions, and rules of the road.  11 or 12 years of age would be a good age to start learning the basics.

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

That is the point i been saying all the time If Thais were not so lazy there would not be 1 million foreign workers in this country doing jobs they can do Its not Thai bashing I would say the same thing from my home country if i saw men sitting around and foreign workers doing there jobs Question why do underage Thai kids have to ride a motor bike to school when they are pushbikes? When i use to go to school we use to have racks where you put your pushbike in Come to think of it. Has anybody seen racks of pushbikes at school here? Motor bikes and mobile phones way of life now Saw the craziest thing to day and still laughing about it. My step daughter went to the toilet and took her mobile phone with her My god what have we become when you cant even go to the toilet with out the phone  I laughed at her when she came out Geez is it that bad now?

S h i t  talk I guess?

19 minutes ago, jing jing said:

Yet Marc Marquez was able to compete successfully in 125cc World Championship motorcycle racing at age 15.  I wonder at what age he began racing motorcycles - arguably just as challenging, if not more so, as puttering across town on a Honda Wave?

Unfortunately i doubt he  was your average Thai youth mentality, its  like having babies, some folk can have them fine when young and others  can't, many can't even take care of themselves these  days.

18 hours ago, Ahab said:

I don't want Thailand to be "just like wherever they came from", but some modest enforcement of existing Thai traffic laws would be a good place to start in reducing the amount of carnage on the roads.

I drive a pickup defensively and would likely survive anything but a very serious accident. I somehow don't think that taking underage kids (without driving licenses) off the road would be the slippery slope to the nanny state that is where I came from, and it might just possibly reduce the amount of deaths that occur daily in my adopted country.

Think about it.

Any enforcement would require a larger police force. That police force would require larger premises. More uniforms, more weapons, more vehicles as well. Then they would require training if they were to be effective- how much training do you think they get at present in traffic law enforcement? Then, to prevent it not becoming a "tea money" force they'd have to be paid more than now, a lot more, a whole lot more, really, a whole heap more. Then they'd have to institute systems to check up on the enlarged force to ensure it isn't just collecting "tea money"- lots more officials, computers etc etc etc.

Also, have to increase the size of the court system to handle the increased work load. More judges, more lawyers, more court houses even.

Add the systems to follow up on those that don't pay fines.

Lastly, more and larger jails. More jailers, more vehicles, more of everything.

Soooo, unintended consequences and all that, your mere "taking underage kids without licences" off the road turns in a multi billion baht exercise.

If you can see where the money would come from for all that, you are more clever than I by far.

19 hours ago, Ahab said:

Honestly, I have to wonder if posters like yourself have ever been in a village longer than the minute it takes to drive through one on the way to a city.

In an ideal world you'd be correct, but you, I and they don't live in a perfect world. They live in the one that allows children to ride m'bikes because they have to get to school.

Just in case you never noticed as you flew through at 90kph ( you wouldn't ever exceed the speed limit, would you ) villages are built on highways, so bit difficult for them not to drive on such, going to school.

If anyone is convinced that children should not be allowed to ride on the roads, you are welcome to fund school buses for all the villages in Thailand, so they don't need to ride m'bikes to school.

Money where mouth is and all that.

To any that live in the villages and don't want school kids riding m'bikes, I'm sure they'll welcome you volunteering to take the kids to and from school yourself.

Have a nice day.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Think about it.

Any enforcement would require a larger police force. That police force would require larger premises. More uniforms, more weapons, more vehicles as well. Then they would require training if they were to be effective- how much training do you think they get at present in traffic law enforcement? Then, to prevent it not becoming a "tea money" force they'd have to be paid more than now, a lot more, a whole lot more, really, a whole heap more. Then they'd have to institute systems to check up on the enlarged force to ensure it isn't just collecting "tea money"- lots more officials, computers etc etc etc.

Also, have to increase the size of the court system to handle the increased work load. More judges, more lawyers, more court houses even.

Soooo, unintended consequences and all that, your mere "taking underage kids without licences" off the road turns in a multi billion baht exercise.

If you can see where the money would come from for all that, you are more clever than I by far.

Yeah so i reckon its cheaper sending them off the  Morgue 

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Honestly, I have to wonder if posters like yourself have ever been in a village longer than the minute it takes to drive through one on the way to a city.

In an ideal world you'd be correct, but you, I and they don't live in a perfect world. They live in the one that allows children to ride m'bikes because they have to get to school.

Just in case you never noticed as you flew through at 90kph ( you wouldn't ever exceed the speed limit, would you ) villages are built on highways, so bit difficult for them not to drive on such, going to school.

If anyone is convinced that children should not be allowed to ride on the roads, you are welcome to fund school buses for all the villages in Thailand, so they don't need to ride m'bikes to school.

To any that live in the villages and don't want school kids riding m'bikes, I'm sure they'll welcome you volunteering to take the kids to and from school yourself.

Have a nice day.

So you are suggesting just rip up the rules and do what you like  Is that what you are saying?    Laws are made to protect people not harm them To me a life is more important than money You are only talking about villages What about the big cities where kids ride to school also You think that is ok to? Unbelievable how you think?

So why bother even having a law that says you can have a license to ride a motor bike when ur 16

Sending those kids out on the road riding a bike with no training No idea how to deal with a situation if it arises No idea how to ride to the conditions of the road No idea about safety is like throwing a fox into a hen house

Ever heard of push bikes? Or are you saying that school is so far away that they have to ride motor bikes.

Have a nice day.

Hopefully you are more knowledgeable on other topics than you are about where I reside, and how long I have resided here. The traffic laws of Thailand are convinced that young kids should not be driving on the roads by specifying age requirements for obtaining a motorcycle license which is a requirement to legally drive a motorcycle on a road in Thailand. There are school buses, and parents can also take them into school. 

Think about it.

Or you could have the police officers throughout Thailand that are currently on the job to start enforcing the traffic laws that are already current law. Have the police officers sitting around shooting the shit (and watching 8 year olds without helmets speeding on by) to start pulling the kids over. Impound the bike if the driver in underage/illegally operating it, and require the parents to come down and pay a 500 baht fine to get the bike out of the impound lot. Use any funds to hire any new officers that are required. Not an end all be all solution, but it might be a tiny step in the right direction. Or you can sit back, do nothing and watch the carnage continue in video posts in Thai Visa.

Have a nice day.

Why are all of your posts always so long?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app