Teen motorcyclist impaled on back of pick-up; friend breaks leg in serious condition

rooster59

21 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

So you are suggesting just rip up the rules and do what you like  Is that what you are saying?    Laws are made to protect people not harm them To me a life is more important than money You are only talking about villages What about the big cities where kids ride to school also You think that is ok to? Unbelievable how you think?

So why bother even having a law that says you can have a license to ride a motor bike when ur 16

Sending those kids out on the road riding a bike with no training No idea how to deal with a situation if it arises No idea how to ride to the conditions of the road No idea about safety is like throwing a fox into a hen house

Ever heard of push bikes? Or are you saying that school is so far away that they have to ride motor bikes.

I try to live in the real world, in relation to my desires.

Apparently I live in a different Thailand to yours. Where is this Thailand where people are going to stop their kids riding m'bikes on the road, just because it's written down somewhere?

Anyway, who is going to enforce all these rules? No cops in the villages.

Cities are probably the safest places to ride a m'bike as the cars drive so slowly due to traffic jams, except on the expressways, and no m'bikes allowed on them. So, if kids are riding to school, rather than public transport, it's probably quite safe.

Sending those kids out on the road riding a bike with no training

Sorry, but you apparently have no idea as to Thailand. Those kids you are on about have been riding on m'bikes since they were babies, and can ride better than anyone you or I know. That they sometimes ride dangerously is a whole different subject.

Ever heard of push bikes? Or are you saying that school is so far away that they have to ride motor bikes.

In the real world, yes, the schools are too far away to use push bikes, and, BTW, it's probably more dangerous for them riding a push bike on the highway with all the big trucks and speeding cars driven by sometimes drunk drivers. I've followed quite a few of those, as they wander all over the road.

However, can I look forward to the TVF fund for school buses in Thai villages anytime soon, so all the concerned TVF posters can contribute to make Thailand safer for schoolchildren?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Ahab said:

Hopefully you are more knowledgeable on other topics than you are about where I reside, and how long I have resided here. The traffic laws of Thailand are convinced that young kids should not be driving on the roads by specifying age requirements for obtaining a motorcycle license which is a requirement to legally drive a motorcycle on a road in Thailand. There are school buses, and parents can also take them into school. 

OK, if you think you know so much about it, why don't YOU do something about it instead of coming up with pointless posts like that. I am aware that the traffic laws exist in LOS and I'm also aware as to how much attention Thai people give them.

So, why don't you go down to your local police station, and volunteer to go and educate the children in school about why they shouldn't be riding m'bikes?

Just do something more than complaining about how poor Thais should be fined over a day's wages to retrieve their m'bike from the police lock up.

Just do something!

6 hours ago, Ahab said:

Or you could have the police officers throughout Thailand that are currently on the job to start enforcing the traffic laws that are already current law. Have the police officers sitting around shooting the shit (and watching 8 year olds without helmets speeding on by) to start pulling the kids over. Impound the bike if the driver in underage/illegally operating it, and require the parents to come down and pay a 500 baht fine to get the bike out of the impound lot. Use any funds to hire any new officers that are required. Not an end all be all solution, but it might be a tiny step in the right direction. Or you can sit back, do nothing and watch the carnage continue in video posts in Thai Visa.

Or you can sit back, do nothing and watch the carnage continue in video posts in Thai Visa.

I'm not Thai,

I have no influence in Thailand,

I would be arrested and deported if I tried to do something physically to stop a Thai riding on the road,

I don't speak Thai well enough to volunteer to speak to kids in school about it.

Just what do you suggest I DO about it other than posting on TVF about how I know better than the THAIS in THAILAND?

I'm waiting to see what practical suggestions you come up with.

Most of Thailand is a third world country so this is to be expected.  Poor families everywhere and if their kids is alive tomorrow is not up to them but Buddha ,  if the amulet will protect them . Give them a bike and they will use it. Only transportation they can afford. A bicycle would have been better but then you need to be really poor. 50 years ago most of them were on bicycles.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I try to live in the real world, in relation to my desires.

Apparently I live in a different Thailand to yours. Where is this Thailand where people are going to stop their kids riding m'bikes on the road, just because it's written down somewhere?

Anyway, who is going to enforce all these rules? No cops in the villages.

Cities are probably the safest places to ride a m'bike as the cars drive so slowly due to traffic jams, except on the expressways, and no m'bikes allowed on them. So, if kids are riding to school, rather than public transport, it's probably quite safe.

Sending those kids out on the road riding a bike with no training

Sorry, but you apparently have no idea as to Thailand. Those kids you are on about have been riding on m'bikes since they were babies, and can ride better than anyone you or I know. That they sometimes ride dangerously is a whole different subject.

In the real world, yes, the schools are too far away to use push bikes, and, BTW, it's probably more dangerous for them riding a push bike on the highway with all the big trucks and speeding cars driven by sometimes drunk drivers. I've followed quite a few of those, as they wander all over the road.

However, can I look forward to the TVF fund for school buses in Thai villages anytime soon, so all the concerned TVF posters can contribute to make Thailand safer for schoolchildren?

I see you are suggesting we can contribute to TVF fund for school buses I was going ask u if you could contribute to the funeral expenses of the 14 year old kid who was killed the other day since you think its ok for kids to be riding bikes on the highway with no license  Ok I see where you wrote I live in a different Thailand than you Well you go that right? I live in a Thailand where i hope it moves forward and encourages kids to obey the law and try and having a bright future Then you said  why should people obey the law  just because it is written down somewhere? Yeah why should they? Stupid law it is anyway?  Absolute waste of time in getting a license i reckon These kids are so good on there bikes  They know all the traffic rules , and how to operate there bikes in a safe way  I have no doubts about that because mum and dad would of sat them down and showed them  I just cant understand why they make rules i really cant They should just let everybody do what they like While they are it scrap the murder and robbery laws They are written down somewhere but who needs them  

Then you said who is going to stop them riding bikes I going to have a wild stab at this one and say The parents if they care about there kids and want to go live along and prosperous life Last but not least you were mentioning  the big trucks and drunken speeding drivers Of coarse these wiz kids on bikes would absolutely know the traffic rules regarding right a ways and when to indicate use the mirror when turning etc  They would know the safety part and the risks involved when riding a bike because they were taught that right? If they dont they can just make up there own rules That should be ok   You know mate there is nothing worse than burying one of your own kids before you die because of some motor vehicle accident  It is just not right is it? Even worse you being the parent could of stopped it from happening but you made the choice that the law was just written down somewhere and you totally had no respect for it I dont care if you live in  Thailand Russia  India Vietnam Anywhere If you have No respect for laws which are made to protect people then we are fast running out of hope

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Or you can sit back, do nothing and watch the carnage continue in video posts in Thai Visa.

I'm not Thai,

I have no influence in Thailand,

I would be arrested and deported if I tried to do something physically to stop a Thai riding on the road,

I don't speak Thai well enough to volunteer to speak to kids in school about it.

Just what do you suggest I DO about it other than posting on TVF about how I know better than the THAIS in THAILAND?

I'm waiting to see what practical suggestions you come up with.

I personally do not care what you do or do not do. The discussion was about what should be done to make the roads safer, your reply was that enforcing existing laws would grow the police force and make everything larger and worse (I am of course paraphrasing). I replied that enforcing existing Thai laws, using existing Thai police would be a good place to start (paraphrasing again). My 
"practical solution" (as stated before) is to enforce existing Thai traffic laws and ensure that people driving motorcycles (or cars/trucks) are licensed and legally driving. In Buriram this simple and common sense step could potentially work wonders, if attempted (which I sorely doubt it ever would be).

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

OK, if you think you know so much about it, why don't YOU do something about it instead of coming up with pointless posts like that. I am aware that the traffic laws exist in LOS and I'm also aware as to how much attention Thai people give them.

So, why don't you go down to your local police station, and volunteer to go and educate the children in school about why they shouldn't be riding m'bikes?

Just do something more than complaining about how poor Thais should be fined over a day's wages to retrieve their m'bike from the police lock up.

Just do something!

I am a guest in this country. A non-voting, non-citizen. It is not my place to "do something" about it. My comment was to point out a simple, and seemingly common sense solution to reducing the road carnage. However, it is up to the citizens of Thailand to decide when enough is enough, and what a proper solution should be.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, Happyman58 said:

Ahab you absolutely right  The  question here is Who is the Adult and role model in a household? Who do most kids follow and look up to? Question for the beach lover?  If you knew that your kid was a great shot with a gun but was only12 years old Would you buy him/her a gun Sure Thai kids maybe whizzes on bikes but do they know the safety, the laws,how to operate the bike in a way that they are not a danger to themselves or anybody else on the road?

Laws are put into place to  protect people not something that should be taken as joke Dont we all want kids to live a long and prosperous life and not be some statistic on the road

If I lived in my home country (USA) and I knew my son was a great shot, I absolutely would buy him a gun (but it would be in a locked safe, and he would not have the combo, until we were going to the range). He would also (has already attended) a firearms safety course, and would never be allowed access without direct adult supervision.

The last funeral in the village motorcycle accident, adult, drunk.

The last accident I remember, know of, 18 year old, bright girl, used to ask me to practice English with her, got a job in the nearest town, hit the back of a truck on her everyday ride too and from work, it was parked on the hard shoulder at night.

Adult friend of my wife recent broken leg, motorcycle accident.

Accidents happen if you are 14 or 40, lots of people ride motorcycles in Thailand, lots of accidents, not governed by the age of the rider.

"A Russian tourist and a Thai woman passenger were killed when the Kawasaki Z900 motorcycle they were riding hit and killed a South Korean man who was crossing the road in front of Soi Pattaya 7 in Tambon Nongplue of Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district at 12.10am.

The Russian was identified as Aleksandr Zakharov, 22, and the Korean tourist as Yongseok Choi, 20. The woman, who is believed to be about 20 to 25 years old, has yet to be identified, Pol Capt Sombat Kaewmoolsuk, deputy inspector of Pattaya police station, said."

Edited by 473geo

On 1/6/2018 at 11:57 AM, Sakeopete said:

I see many farang do the exact same thing as Thais. There must be a connection between a scooter's ignition switch and human brain. Scooter starts-brain stops.

I have never seen farang kids driving motocy in Thailand.

And in the West i also did it but ONLY on private property where there's no other vehicles.

10 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

I see you are suggesting we can contribute to TVF fund for school buses I was going ask u if you could contribute to the funeral expenses of the 14 year old kid who was killed the other day since you think its ok for kids to be riding bikes on the highway with no license  Ok I see where you wrote I live in a different Thailand than you Well you go that right? I live in a Thailand where i hope it moves forward and encourages kids to obey the law and try and having a bright future Then you said  why should people obey the law  just because it is written down somewhere? Yeah why should they? Stupid law it is anyway?  Absolute waste of time in getting a license i reckon These kids are so good on there bikes  They know all the traffic rules , and how to operate there bikes in a safe way  I have no doubts about that because mum and dad would of sat them down and showed them  I just cant understand why they make rules i really cant They should just let everybody do what they like While they are it scrap the murder and robbery laws They are written down somewhere but who needs them  

Then you said who is going to stop them riding bikes I going to have a wild stab at this one and say The parents if they care about there kids and want to go live along and prosperous life Last but not least you were mentioning  the big trucks and drunken speeding drivers Of coarse these wiz kids on bikes would absolutely know the traffic rules regarding right a ways and when to indicate use the mirror when turning etc  They would know the safety part and the risks involved when riding a bike because they were taught that right? If they dont they can just make up there own rules That should be ok   You know mate there is nothing worse than burying one of your own kids before you die because of some motor vehicle accident  It is just not right is it? Even worse you being the parent could of stopped it from happening but you made the choice that the law was just written down somewhere and you totally had no respect for it I dont care if you live in  Thailand Russia  India Vietnam Anywhere If you have No respect for laws which are made to protect people then we are fast running out of hope

A very good response.

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

The last funeral in the village motorcycle accident, adult, drunk.

The last accident I remember, know of, 18 year old, bright girl, used to ask me to practice English with her, got a job in the nearest town, hit the back of a truck on her everyday ride too and from work, it was parked on the hard shoulder at night.

Adult friend of my wife recent broken leg, motorcycle accident.

Accidents happen if you are 14 or 40, lots of people ride motorcycles in Thailand, lots of accidents, not governed by the age of the rider.

"A Russian tourist and a Thai woman passenger were killed when the Kawasaki Z900 motorcycle they were riding hit and killed a South Korean man who was crossing the road in front of Soi Pattaya 7 in Tambon Nongplue of Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district at 12.10am.

The Russian was identified as Aleksandr Zakharov, 22, and the Korean tourist as Yongseok Choi, 20. The woman, who is believed to be about 20 to 25 years old, has yet to be identified, Pol Capt Sombat Kaewmoolsuk, deputy inspector of Pattaya police station, said."

Then you not count the 14 year old who died because he was in another town  You are all missing the point here Nobody wants to see anybody die Regardless what age they are? Thai Beach and you are more or less saying it is ok for kids and parents to disobey the law because it is something that is just written down somewhere and  no need to pay attention to it The law does not state that a 22 year old or a 20 year cannot ride a motor bike But it does state that a child has to be 16 to get a license to ride a motor bike We can all sit here and write and write until we are blue in the face  If a law came out and said Ok lets just say a law came out that your car must have mirrors in it so you can see what is coming behind you before you pull out from somewhere Would you obey or disobey that law? I would say you would obey that law because in your mind you would think they brought this law in to protect me from being hit by another car from behind  They did not bring that law  in because they just wanted to write it down somewhere They brought it in to stop you from having an accident and maybe stay alive The whole point to this argument is with you and Beach is Are we going to obey the law or are we all just not going to obey them

Ok i must admit some laws i hate obeying but i do  One of them is you cant buy alcohol from a super market Like Tops  Tesco etc Not sure but i think the ban is from 11-5 in the  afternoon  Anyway i go shopping sometimes and  i forget about that law because in my home country we dont have that I buy some groceries  and some beer and when i get to the counter they take away the beer and say Law says you cannot buy beer between 11-2 I dont jump and down and ignore that law even though i think it is stupid rule considering that you can go down the street and buy beer from any bottle shop anytime The law should be for every shop not just super markets So i just do with out beer because that is there law Anyway i guess talking about laws and enforcing them is the biggest problem here and we can talk and talk about kids riding bikes They will still do it  when we are long gone and i hope nothing happens to them so they can live a long life. I think it is completely wrong what they are doing and i dont blame them i blame the parents for letting them do it  and the gov for not providing alternative ways for those kids to go to school in a safe way Ok thanks all I dont think i can say anymore Nothing will change carry on

19 hours ago, transam said:

This is 2018 LOS, if underage kids lived a 100 yards from their school they would still be given the bike keys...

You couldn't expect a Thai person to walk THAT far!!!   :)

Mind you, I have enormous respect for a lot of the young kids and their riding ability. Western kids would let their emotions do the riding and be dead in a day. My experiences here and in Laos are that the majority of young kids are polite on the road and even wait for pedestrians.

The post pubescent hill people though..... 

2 hours ago, AlphaSoiDog said:

You couldn't expect a Thai person to walk THAT far!!!   :)

Mind you, I have enormous respect for a lot of the young kids and their riding ability. Western kids would let their emotions do the riding and be dead in a day. My experiences here and in Laos are that the majority of young kids are polite on the road and even wait for pedestrians.

The post pubescent hill people though..... 

Sure you can be polite That is nice Only one problem The polite kid on the bike is breaking the law If he or she has no license therefore they will have no insurance You know what the scariest thing is and all people young or old think the same Accidents only happen to other people not me Sure they can handle a bike It is the biggest single vehicle on Thai roads and they were encouraged to ride at a young age  This is the way i look at it You hire 2 electricians both are good at what they do  1 electrician has been taught  how to work in safe manner And knows how to observe and identify a problem before it can harm you or him Then he can deal with the problem before some one gets hurt The other  electrician was never taught about how to work safely   Which one of these would have a 90% chance of surviving and which one one would have a 40 % chance  All these young kids on bikes They have never been taught about safety or the road rules  How would they know the rules? Who would of shown them? How would they deal with some thing when it comes up  I saw a kid in Ubon about 10 on a bike It was a big bike Poor little guy was so small  But this 10 year kid he went straight through a red light and did a U turn when the sign said NO U Turns  H e was not even aware he had just broken 2 road rules  He prob did not even know he broke the rules  So his chances of getting hit by another car 90% thank god he did not get hit but one day his luck might run out

15 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Then you not count the 14 year old who died because he was in another town  You are all missing the point here Nobody wants to see anybody die Regardless what age they are? Thai Beach and you are more or less saying it is ok for kids and parents to disobey the law because it is something that is just written down somewhere and  no need to pay attention to it 

Please quote where I said it is OK to disobey the law. If you can't, perhaps you could stop saying that I said something I didn't.

I was saying it doesn't matter what the law says if the citizens of Thailand are not going to obey it anyway. Far as I can see, the law is there to punish people after an accident happens, not prevent accidents in the first place.

I have no more desire for any to die than anyone else on here, and I myself was seriously injured in an accident caused by a rider not looking where he was going.

The point I've been trying to get across is no amount of hand wringing on a TVF thread by farang expats is going to make any difference at all, but by all means vent away if it makes one feel better.

However, I wonder how many of those calling for education for school kids on road rules etc are going to actually do anything at all other than complaining about it on here?

It's up to them to do something or not, but if they don't, are they not part of the problem?

Have a nice day.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Please quote where I said it is OK to disobey the law. If you can't, perhaps you could stop saying that I said something I didn't.

I was saying it doesn't matter what the law says if the citizens of Thailand are not going to obey it anyway. Far as I can see, the law is there to punish people after an accident happens, not prevent accidents in the first place.

I have no more desire for any to die than anyone else on here, and I myself was seriously injured in an accident caused by a rider not looking where he was going.

The point I've been trying to get across is no amount of hand wringing on a TVF thread by farang expats is going to make any difference at all, but by all means vent away if it makes one feel better.

However, I wonder how many of those calling for education for school kids on road rules etc are going to actually do anything at all other than complaining about it on here?

It's up to them to do something or not, but if they don't, are they not part of the problem?

Have a nice day.

Ok beach we can talk and talk i am sorry for your accident Until Thailand can move forward from a 3rd world country nothing will change Maybe if they pay more attention to their kids who are the future of Thailand and stop worrying about military hardware then we might see some progress You have nice day also