ATM limits

thaitot

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Krungsri ATMs have had a 30K per withdrawal limit for a long time,

AFAIK, the daily limit, whatever you have it set to, recycles at midnight.

Maybe for some cards or local cards, but I could never get 30k with my international cards.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Maybe for some cards or local cards, but I could never get 30k with my international cards.

That's because VISA sets a 20k limit for Thailand for international withdrawals. At least that was the popup message I got from a Kasikorn ATM when I tried to withdraw 21k yesterday.

I don't believe there's any VISA restriction of that kind. I've used foreign VISA debit cards to make 30K withdrawals from Thai ATMs in the past.

There are two other restrictions, though:

1. is the limit per withdrawal set on the physical ATM machine you're using, i.e., set by the individual Thai banks and varying from bank co. to bank co. -- sometimes 20K, sometimes 25K, a few at 30K.

2. is the limit per withdrawal set by the home country bank for your particular account and the associated debit card you're using.

Oftentimes, banks in the west set their DAILY ATM withdrawal limits on their debit cards at only $300 or $500, meaning even though the Thai ATM machine would allow it, your home country bank won't allow a 30,000 baht single withdrawal amount, which is $900+ at today's exchange rates.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 1/6/2018 at 9:37 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Check with your BAY branch, or probably any BAY branch, and they should be able to tell you the daily limit on your card. And then, you can adjust the settings as desired. Then you can make back to back 30K withdrawals up to your daily limit for ATM withdrawals.

Just remember, higher settings also lend themselves to greater exposure to fraud/theft should your card become compromised. And unlike some other countries including the U.S., Thailand doesn't have banking laws that protect/limit customers from liability for bank card fraud.

In particular, you might want to consider setting a very low, or even off limit, for POS (Point of Sale) use, apart from the ATM withdrawal limit. Because, if your card is lost or stolen, those POS purchases can be made by anyone in just a swipe and sign mode. And retailers here usually don't bother to check for ID or signatures.  At least with ATM withdrawals, you still have the protection of your PIN.

BTW, the main customer service phone number for BAY usually has pretty decent English speaking staff when you choose their English language option -- even if the staff in their branches often speak little or no English, depending on the location.

good point about the POS limit.  Signature check and ID check is pretty rare.  Heck, even today here in the USA where some places still require a signature on using a credit card, they never check ID or signature. 

6 hours ago, GanDoonToonPet said:

That's because VISA sets a 20k limit for Thailand for international withdrawals. At least that was the popup message I got from a Kasikorn ATM when I tried to withdraw 21k yesterday.

I wasn't using VISA cards. It was Cirrus, and I can get 30k from other machines.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't believe there's any VISA restriction of that kind. I've used foreign VISA debit cards to make 30K withdrawals from Thai ATMs in the past.

There are two other restrictions, though:

1. is the limit per withdrawal set on the physical ATM machine you're using, i.e., set by the individual Thai banks and varying from bank co. to bank co. -- sometimes 20K, sometimes 25K, a few at 30K.

2. is the limit per withdrawal set by the home country bank for your particular account and the associated debit card you're using.

Oftentimes, banks in the west set their DAILY ATM withdrawal limits on their debit cards at only $300 or $500, meaning even though the Thai ATM machine would allow it, your home country bank won't allow a 30,000 baht single withdrawal amount, which is $900+ at today's exchange rates.

That can't be it either, as my bank's daily ATM limit is over 30k. I could always withdraw 30k at TMB ATM's but never at the Krungsri ATM's. Just recently the exchange rate has turned against me and 30k would be getting very close to the limit. 20k pulls at AON works well though, as it's 150 baht per pull, about the same as a 30k pull for 220 baht.