Papers needed for future wife.

rocrite

I am wanting to marry my Thai girlfriend. I am an American and understand what I need from the embassy. For her do I need to get anything from her local amphur in Issan or can it all be done in Bangkok? Thanks in advance for all the help. Trying to avoid the trip to issan if possible.

Edited by rocrite
Spelling

You may both need an affirmation to say you are free to marry. In my wifes case she also needed the village headman to affirm that she had not married again after her original divorce many years ago.

You may also need the divorce paperwork if either of you have been married before.

My wife originally told me she had not been married. She had done the amphur paperwork but never had a village wedding  - so as far as she was concerned she wasn't married. Thankfully the visa agent knew about these quirks and sorted things out. Same with her name, she doesn't use her birth name - it is common for Thai people to change their name. Maybe do a little more research?

You will need a notarized paper from US embassy saying you are free to marry. She will need her ID and copy of her baan book. She will also need a blood test (proving she is not pregnant -- with another's baby presumable). I just went through this in BK

The paper from the embassy will also have to be translated to Thai.  Once translated, you will go to a government provincial office and submit your papers to be checked and validated for marriage.  Once approved, you take it, and the wife's papers if she has some, to the local Amphur.  This was how it worked in Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago.

Just to add to the above post.....the affirmation to marry has to be translated into Thai and then taken to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok where they will check it and hopefully stamp it. They are very fussy and refuse many letters the first time, so make sure you use a good translation service.

The best way is to use one of the many translation offices around the Embassys and pay a bit extra and they will get it stamped for you and post to your home address. Job finished.