Buying a scooter new or 2nd hand ?

AussieRules

I'm not living here permanently yet, but it's getting to the point where it's worth me buying a scooter of my own instead of borrowing the family's all the time.

My good lady fiance is of the opinion that new is best and I'm more of a mind that a good second hand one makes more sense (integrity of vendor permitting).

I doubt I'll go over a 125.

Anybody chip in with experiences good or bad with the new v's 2nd hand debacle.

Obviously if 2nd hand it's a matter of what's available, anyone know of anywhere with a good stock of 2nd hand close to Paathum Thani ?

PArt 2, I'm not sure which type to go for,

What are people's views of semi auto vs auto. When I've ridden an auto in the past the gearbox started wearing pretty quickly. I don't mind riding a semi but doubt I'd risk a full manual. Was the fast wearing gearbox just bad luck or is it a general factor to be taken into considertion.

I quite like the look of one I've seen about called the ZoomerX, it looks like an auto, anyone ridden/owned one and can comment.

Gratitude in advance

Ridden ZoomerX and didn’t like it. The steering felt too light and I felt that I was sitting above the front wheel. Generally (yes,I know this is dangerous to assume) Thais do not like 2nd hand, for various reasons (face/superstitions) plus many bikes are not well maintained or serviced.

I would buy a new twist & go and ensure its serviced and not used as the village taxi. I’ve had a Honda PCX for over 4 years now without ANY faults at all, during that time. Great bike, especially if your more a Farang size/weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you by 2nd hand, look at fellow expat bikes first.  Generally they are well maintained.

You can find some deals on baht sold but again due diligence is required.

If you want peace of mind then new is the way to go.

Personally I'd go the 2nd hand ex falang route.  Good bikes at good prices.

Buy new.  The small savings on second hand are not worth the risks.

If you live in a city with regular traffic jams, go for auto.  They are all pretty reliable now.  Semi auto suits a rural environment.   They work we'll with a minimal need for down-shifting.  Just stop in top, shift it round to first.  Go again.  Up and down the gears in traffic is not so good.  The bigger wheels of the Wave/Cub family are also ideal for rough rural roads, and the lack of helmet storage is less of an issue out of the city, where you can just hang your helmet on the mirror.

You will probably be the only person in the village wearing a helmet anyway!

Buy new.  The small savings on second hand are not worth the risks.

If you live in a city with regular traffic jams, go for auto.  They are all pretty reliable now.  Semi auto suits a rural environment.   They work we'll with a minimal need for down-shifting.  Just stop in top, shift it round to first.  Go again.  Up and down the gears in traffic is not so good.  The bigger wheels of the Wave/Cub family are also ideal for rough rural roads, and the lack of helmet storage is less of an issue out of the city, where you can just hang your helmet on the mirror.

You will probably be the only person in the village wearing a helmet anyway!

Or the only one not killed in an accident!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just browsing some various Yamaha models that looked interesting for the (supposed list) price.  Spark/Jupiter/Finn all seem like the same platform with different fluff.  (Prices are Baht/US $)  The cheap 115cc scooters would probably be fine for putting around, unless you want to take your whole family on board and ride to the top of Mt. Paathum Thani .

---------------------------------------------

Auto clutch, 4-speed:

Spark LX 115cc
37,000 ($1,121) drum, wire, kick
39,500 ($1,196) disc, wire, kick
41,500 ($1,258) disc, wire, kick & electric
43,500 ($1,318) disc, mag, kick & electric

Jupiter RC  115cc
48,000 ($1,455) floating front disc, reservoir shocks, red line rims

Finn 115cc
39,900 ($1,209) wire kick start
42,500 ($1,288) wire, electric start

44,500 ($1,349) cast wheel (no red line), electric start

-------------------------
Auto CVT:

Aerox 155cc  63,900 - 73,900. ($1,936 - $2,239.)

GT125 45,500 ($1,379)
GT125 w/ Stop & Start System 46,500

There's also
the Grand Filano for about $52,000 if you like the traditional Vespa-like scooters.  Rather elegant.

And the Fino is a right nice looking scooter for 46,000 to 51,500.  Get a FINO and dress up like Pee Wee Herman.

image.png.30a7793b0775aca59c1ca029943b8108.png

Edited by Damrongsak

I have bought 3 S/H Finos over the past few years for family and friends and all are running well. I paid B18k, B15k and B9k+ plus parts for B3k. There are lots around and very cheap to run, although a tad thirsty.

A new Honda Wave with drum brakes and kick start is still only around B34k, what we paid 8 years ago, still good and can do 200mpg.

If you have a B52k budget the Filano 125cc is a biggish scooter and a great ride with lots of shopping space.

Are those the older 115cc Finos, or the newer fuel-injected 125cc Finos with the blue-core engine?  I think the Fino dates back to about 2006, with refinements in 2013 and 2015.  https://global.yamaha-motor.com/news/2015/0831/fino125.html

Are the Fino, Grand Filano and GT125 pretty much the same "under the hood"? Or at least the GT125 and the Fino?

As for getting around in Pathum Thani, you might consider an off-road bike with high ground clearance or a small long-tail boat.  2011 photo:

Pathum Thani flooding nov 2011.JPG

I have bought 3 S/H Finos over the past few years for family and friends and all are still running well. I paid B18k, B15k and B9k+ plus parts for B3k. There are lots around and very cheap to run, although a tad thirstier than some other scooters.

A new Honda Wave with drum brakes and kick start is still only around B34k, what we paid 8 years ago, still good and can do 200mpg. We toured Laos and Vietnam on a couple of ones we hired.

If you have a B52k budget the Filano 125cc is a biggish scooter and a great ride with lots of shopping space. We ran ours in on the Mae Hong Song Loop, 2up plus luggage, easy peasy.

13 minutes ago, AllanB said:

I have bought 3 S/H Finos over the past few years for family and friends and all are still running well. I paid B18k, B15k and B9k+ plus parts for B3k. There are lots around and very cheap to run, although a tad thirstier than some other scooters.

A new Honda Wave with drum brakes and kick start is still only around B34k, what we paid 8 years ago, still good and can do 200mpg. We toured Laos and Vietnam on a couple of ones we hired.

If you have a B52k budget the Filano 125cc is a biggish scooter and a great ride with lots of shopping space. We ran ours in on the Mae Hong Song Loop, 2up plus luggage, easy peasy.

200mpg ?????? Where did you get that figure from :)

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/wave

I think it depends on what kind of second hand bike you want to buy.

If it's 10 years already of course it could have several problems that you maybe can't spot.

But if you buy a bike that isn't so old and wasn't used so much you can't do much wrong. Check if the chassis is straight, so you know it didn't have a serious accident and somebody replaced the plastic, check if the forks and shocks aren't leaking any oil, check the tires, check if the engine oil looks like it has ever been changed.

Test drive it and hear if you don't hear any strange noises and "feel" if the handling is normal.

Like this you checked the main and costly parts of the motorbike. All other parts can be changed for a few hundred baht if you should discover any problem later.

I bought a used PCX150 a few years ago, was 2 years old then, had 3000km, saved about 25% compared to new

In my opinion the zoomer feels like shit when driving, is too small for a farang and the storage sucks because it's open on the sides.

Edited by jackdd