US IRS wants more tax paid for 2016.

I don't know anything about taxes I have always used a preparation service/bookkeeper.

I work for a large US firm, there is an issue about how my company reports for overseas employees certain medicare or medical insurance taxes or something.

Filed taxes on time for 2016, soon some bills saying I was about $800 short.

Called accountant, he said he would deal with it back in May, they have  higher level contacts to call.

(Me calling does nothing, you just get a customer service agent with no ability to do anything).

No letters for more than 6 months thought it was dealt with.

I now suddenly I get a letter that says I still owe this for 2016, and with interest and penalties it is now over $900.

Would re-filing help? My accountant is on vacation.

Any suggestions, getting a real tax attorney will cost me more than $900.  

Same thing happened a few years ago but I just paid after a while, they only said I was $300 short.

17 hours ago, ballbreaker said:

I hope agreement with accountant says he pays any interest and penalties for errors.

The fact this has happened before means you should start being more proactive with your taxes.  Get yourself one of the major software packages and start doing tax returns yourself.

Only time I have ever had problems with the IRS was when one of the supposed professionals forgot that I was on Medicare , DUH, how many 65 year old's aren't on Medicare 

So I agree, do it yourself, at least that way you have someone close who you can blame