Aircon sickness?

Sandman77

A friend and I was in a hotel 4 days ago in satahip , something in the aircon was wrong both we are sick now with high fever and running nose,slim formation and hoarseness, i thinking that there are some dangerous bacteria in aircon is paracetamol the right treatment ? Does it make any sense to report this hotel to tourism authority? Or public health ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, Sandman77 said:

slim formation

no idea what that means

5 minutes ago, Sandman77 said:

i thinking that there are some dangerous bacteria in aircon is paracetamol the right treatment ?

No paracetamol is not the right treatment for bacteria !!!!...if you think there is a bacteria infection then go to the hospital.

its a slim chance it could be legionnaires disease which is dangerous.

If the aircon unit isn't cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis, black mould can form in areas where condensation collects. When this dries out, and the unit is turned on, it can blow the dust from the mould into the room, which can cause health problems.

My wife and I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok last year, and when we turned on the aircon, there was a musty smell filled the room. I turned it off and told reception it needed cleaning asap. To their credit, they had a guy come in the same day to strip it down and clean it. I believe that outbreaks of Legionnaires Disease have been linked to dirty aircon systems.

Possibly from 'aspergillus' mold / fungi.    Can be extremely toxic.

The same mold is common in public transport especially minibus, the black sooty coloured staining you see on the ceiling, even the walls sometimes.

You can also find the spores in your own car AC, if you have a car.

It can smell like mold if contamination is high, especially when AC is first turned on.

Contamination can be less in the dry season, the spores dry but will still be circulated / inhaled. 

Of course Legionnaires should also be considered.

I have asked to change rooms at hotels before or even checked out.

5 star hotels may be better but don't take it for granted.

I usually take High C if on a long journey by local transport, before and after the journey, as it can help boost the immune system.     You can of course wear a mask in local transport.

Don't forget the AC in your own residence.