Lifan GY200

lowprofile

Looking for views and reviews for the GY200.     From those who have ridden one or are owners. I'm not interested in "cheap Chinese knockoff crap" trollers.

Thinking of getting either one of these, a klx150, or the 250.

I have heard some good things about the Lifan and know the build quality may be a little lacking compared to the klx, but for the money it seems a good choice.

I am wondering if there will be more 2nd hand klx bikes coming on the market soon considering the new version is out.

Cheers

Yes, I am an owner and a fan, as mentioned the gearshift pattern is different. I recently bought a new CRF for the extra power for our 2 up touring, still wondering what to do with the Lifan which is still mint-ish. When I first bought the GY200 it was very badly commissioned, clutch and mixture out, a few loose nuts, but easily fixed, the seat was crap and had that re-covered, plus a bit of extra padding. Didn't trust Chinese bearings or chain, so changed them and now the bike is good and lots of fun for the money. I don't see any build quality issues, other than the PDI shortfalls I just mentioned. Very easy to ride off-road, even two up, it made me look good and a lot of fun with a simple but torquey engine.

The KLX150 is a very small bike, hired one a few years back, not that impressed, the 250 is good as you would expect and much taller, even than my CRF250.

It depends on your budget I guess and what you want.

The local dealer only has the GY200 in so I can't compare to X-Cross or X-plore. There is not much to find, in English, online about the bikes - Allan's thread has been the most informative for the GY.

I'll go back to the shop and ask about the other two options.

The klx150 is a small bike, but so am I so I am attracted to it, I haven't found any 2nd hand ones around, though. The 250 is very nice, but slightly too expensive for me right now and there are very few 2nd hand around.

I'm not planning on lots of highway km's or heavy duty offroad trails, country roads and forest trails are more what I have in mind. Also, I have no plans for 2-up riding so a smaller engine would be fine, with the added benefit of less weight for the off-road riding meaning easier handling.

What would the best additions to a Lifan be, do you think? Sump guard, bark-busters, seat, lights, etc, etc?

Thanks for the input.

1 hour ago, lowprofile said:

and there are very few 2nd hand around.

???

Baht & Sold.

Loads all the time. Plenty now, prices starting at 65k.

CRF's - loads all the time, plenty now, prices starting at 80 odd k.

The problem with the Lifan et al is very poor quality suspension components (skinny front forks, archaic damping) and poor wheels and brakes. Steel chromed rims went out with the arc (pre 70's) on off road orientated bikes.

Motors, appear fine and reliable, albeit under powered.

The KLX 150 has even less power than the 200 Lifan (12-13 bhp compared to 16?) and may have s/s spokes, alloy rims, better forks and shock, but that is low hp for something a grown adult will ride from A to B.

My 2 Baht's worth - buy a S/H 250.

55 minutes ago, lowprofile said:

X-Plore (is this the motard version of the X-Cross?)

X-Pect

Yes.

Has 17" rims, better brakes, quieter muffler, standard shift pattern, different meters, no rear rack.

[recommend]

For X-Cross, papa acquired 2nd set of wheels/rotors/sprocket/chain, 4-rim-locks, and tires

for easy swap between trail and road.

Cost maybe $350.

Can't remember X-actly, but elucidated in a post couple years back.

Aboot 10Kkm hard running, no mechanical failures.

[oh! Rear-rack broke from using top-box on rough roads in Laos]

X-elent for Laos roads, dual-sporting.

X-Pect.

????????

Been to the dealer again today and now have a sore head, information is hard to get.... They don't have the X-plore here, only the X-cross.I was tempted to just get it yesterday, today, not at all! It does look a bit tacky and I am not the least bit mechanical-minded.

Also visited the Kawasaki shop again. There was a 250 outside and I was just comparing it with the 150 through the window. They really are quite different animals. I'm now leaning toward the 250 in second hand form. Being about twice as expensive as a brand new Lifan gives me the shivers, though :smile:. I suppose I can comfort myself with the believe that I am "future proofing" if I do get a 250.

Maybe I should just flip a coin? Anyone got one with three sides?

You could buy mine, all the enhancement work has been done, so better and cheaper than new. Parts are cheap and available, I have a spare clutch cable and CDI,  I don't know where you are, but I am in Khon Kaen.

After a bit of fun, if you then want to upgrade you won't lose much, if anything, the green book is in my wife's name.

Anyway an option for you.

PS It has new tyres, as the originals were old stock.

Thanks for the offer Allan.

I have spent the last days going from one preferred choice to another and finally bit the bullet this morning - I bought a 2nd hand klx250 from a dealer here in Phuket.

I shall spend the rest of the week flagellating myself,no doubt. :smile:

I kept returning to the Lifan dealer for a look at the x-cross 200 but it just looked so poorly put together against the klx.

Cheers for all the input.

16 hours ago, lowprofile said:

Thanks for the offer Allan.

I have spent the last days going from one preferred choice to another and finally bit the bullet this morning - I bought a 2nd hand klx250 from a dealer here in Phuket.

I shall spend the rest of the week flagellating myself,no doubt. :smile:

I kept returning to the Lifan dealer for a look at the x-cross 200 but it just looked so poorly put together against the klx.

Cheers for all the input.

Don't do that, enjoy the bike. I was disappointed with the CRF after the Lifan because my expectations were so high and it took a while to run in. But these dirt bikes are all about fun and adventure, you have made your choice, now go out and ride.

The Honda/Kawas are better finished bikes than the Chinese ones, have more power and street cred, but at a price, if you are happy with the price it will work.