Airport VAT refund "new rule".

13 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

If you apply for VAT refund at BKK Suwannabhumi airport you have to get a stamp on paperwork from some customs office outside airport security before going to the office on the departure concourse or no refund. This used to not be the case.

This is not a new rule.

The reason is that they may want to inspect the goods for which you want a VAT refund, therefore you must go there before you check in your luggage (which is before security).

Ye. a new guy on the job in Government, needs to show he is screwing the people and getting more funds in. The next one in will also come up with a new rule.

I just arrived back from Thailand. I walked past the refund office in BKK Airport. And it was a very very long line of people, bet they never knew the new rule.

The last time I claimed a refund was around 10 years ago at Swampy for some jewelry and that's how they did it....they needed to see/inspect the item at one office before continuing on with the refund at another office.

It's a better system as it now allows you to pack the items into your checked luggage. 

Years ago at LHR and SYD you needed to take your VAT claimed items into the plane as the only refund office was after check-in desks. 

Always has been the rule. Nothing new, just new to you.

High value goods will be almost certainly be checked, low value goods will probably not be checked. All the paperwork has to be stamped to collect a refund airside 

Need to be able to produce is Standard practice in most/all countries AFIK.