Ecuador says exploring mediation to solve Assange standoff

webfact

Ecuador says exploring mediation to solve Assange standoff

By Alexandra Valencia

2018-01-09T202912Z_1_LYNXMPEE081GF_RTROPTP_3_ECUADOR-SWEDEN-ASSANGE.JPG

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is seen on the balcony of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, Britain, May 19, 2017. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

QUITO (Reuters) - Ecuador said on Tuesday it was exploring mediation to solve the standoff over WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has been holed up in Ecuador's Embassy in London for five years, and called for cooperation from the United Kingdom and the international community.

Former leftist President Rafael Correa, who had said Assange was a "journalist," granted him asylum in 2012 to avoid extradition to Sweden over rape allegations.

The Andean country's new government, however, has said it is concerned over Assange's "complicated" situation. President Lenin Moreno has described Assange as a "hacker," while stressing he would not be kicked out of the embassy.

"We're considering, exploring the possibility of a mediation," Foreign Minister Maria Fernanda Espinosa told foreign reporters on Tuesday, adding that a third country or person could lead a potential mediation.

"No solution can be reached without international cooperation and without cooperation from the United Kingdom, which in addition has shown interest in finding a solution."

Further details were not immediately available.

In May, Sweden dropped the investigation into rape allegations that led Assange to seek asylum in the embassy in 2012, but British police said he would still be arrested if he left the building.

Assange, who denies the rape allegations, fears being handed over to the United States to face prosecution over WikiLeaks' publication of thousands of classified military and diplomatic documents in one of the largest information leaks in U.S. history.

(Writing by Alexandra Ulmer; Editing by Richard Chang)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-10

Well, I don't really see what Ecuador has to lose by turning him loose, or to gain by letting him continue to stay. I mean, what is the end game strategy?  He stays there until he dies?  Is he making payments to some people there for his room and board plus other things? 

Just now, gk10002000 said:

Well, I don't really see what Ecuador has to lose by turning him loose, or to gain by letting him continue to stay. I mean, what is the end game strategy?  He stays there until he dies?  Is he making payments to some people there for his room and board plus other things? 

Assange provided very useful information to Ecuador in advance of the legal manoeuvres against him knowing he would probably need a safe haven. It was a deal brokered in advance.

Hopefully some sort of deal is done via the back channels that would allow Assange to 'move' to another designated country that does not have an extradition treaty with USA.  Obviously we will never know the exact outcomes from Wikileaks publication of  classified military and diplomatic documents - but perhaps 5 years locked in a small Embassy is enough of a 'punishment' and the lesson has been learned by both Assange and other would-be leakers of classified documents.  

Maybe some sort of plea bargaining in-absentia can be negotiated if Assange pleads guilty?  If Obama can pardon Chelsea Manning after serving 7 years of a 35-year sentence for leaking military intelligence records, then maybe Trump can do the same for Assange as part of the plea bargaining?

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Or vice versa! Regardless of what one thinks of JA, we can all admit that he's had a lousy life for five years, a prison with better food and Internet but not much meaning. The Swedish women recanted and asked he not be charged but the prosecutor, Marianne Nye, wanted to make a big name for herself, likely for a political run. In any case, JA was never charged, just sought for questioning. With good reason to fear he would be extradited to the US to a life sentence for treason or CIA hit. JA should be allowed safe passage to a country where he will be safe from extradition. Time served.

Presumably, the UK authorities want him for jumping bail. If the Swedes no longer want to extradite him, then why can't he walk out and face the UK courts?

Mind you the assorted "luvvies" and media types who put up and presumably forfeited the bail money (I still chuckle from time to time about that) might quite like a chat with him.

8 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

I thought the Trump administration were dropping charges against him and that would leave him free to go. Just saw this a couple of days ago so is this old news?

I don't think there are any US charges against him.  But he is no longer a hero to anyone. Nigel Farang paid him a visit not long ago.  I would think the Ecuadorians are sick of having him.  Supposedly he has dreadful hygiene habits, or at least did prior to taking refuge there.

9 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I don't think there are any US charges against him.  But he is no longer a hero to anyone. Nigel Farang paid him a visit not long ago.  I would think the Ecuadorians are sick of having him.  Supposedly he has dreadful hygiene habits, or at least did prior to taking refuge there.

He is Persona Non Grata by a very large part of the US population, if he comes to the US he will need a disguise. Perhaps Trump can give him some of his hair coloring.   

12 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Or vice versa! Regardless of what one thinks of JA, we can all admit that he's had a lousy life for five years, a prison with better food and Internet but not much meaning. The Swedish women recanted and asked he not be charged but the prosecutor, Marianne Nye, wanted to make a big name for herself, likely for a political run. In any case, JA was never charged, just sought for questioning. With good reason to fear he would be extradited to the US to a life sentence for treason or CIA hit. JA should be allowed safe passage to a country where he will be safe from extradition. Time served.

Have the Swedish authorities stated that 'they will not seek to have him extradited for questioning on possible future charges', or just that 'at the moment they have dropped the investigation'?  Genuine question as it's been going on for so long that I've lost track.

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

You are very wrong - I consider him as something close to a 'hero', as do many others.

Admittedly, I know nothing about his "dreadful hygiene habits",  and can only wonder why anyone would consider this an important point :shock1::laugh:!

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Admittedly, I know nothing about his "dreadful hygiene habits",  and can only wonder why anyone would consider this an important point :shock1::laugh:!

If you had to live with him in a building he couldn't leave for this-many years....

You are very wrong - I consider him as something close to a 'hero', as do many others.

Admittedly, I know nothing about his "dreadful hygiene habits",  and can only wonder why anyone would consider this an important point :shock1:[emoji23]!

Well, given that he has been "doing a Harry Potter" and living in a cupboard under the stairs in his embassy for the last five years, maybe the Ecuadorian Ambassador has a view on that last point?

I do wonder what Assange (and Ecuador for that matter) thought they were getting into five years ago! I'll bet they thought he would walk free in a couple of weeks, acknowledging the cheers of his supporters, and having tweeked the tail of the British judicial system, however...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well, given that he has been "doing a Harry Potter" and living in a cupboard under the stairs in his embassy for the last five years, maybe the Ecuadorian Ambassador has a view on that last point?

I do wonder what Assange (and Ecuador for that matter) thought they were getting into five years ago! I'll bet they thought he would walk free in a couple of weeks, acknowledging the cheers of his supporters, and having tweeked the tail of the British judicial system, however...

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, that's the important issue at stake - much the same way as another poster was concerned about his personal hygeine....

A skilled hacker Assange may be, but an even greater idiot.

Who, in their right mind, would publish sensitive information without first running it by any affected parties, in this case, the US government.

He's regarded by a hero by US haters, and a curiosity by most others.

It would seem that the Ecuadorean Embassy people have had enough of him and want to see him gone.

His board and lodging has been funded by donations to the organization.   I know because my dope smoking daughter, who is in the JA is a hero group, donated a couple of grand to the fighting fund.  She's bloody near as silly as he is, and one of those who thinks the US can do no good, ever, or anywhere.

The US may withdraw any threat of charges, and he may be free to go, but I don't think he will ever be truly free, always looking over his shoulder.  You made your bed Mr Assange, now lie (not sleep, or certainly not sleep soundly) in it.

Edited by F4UCorsair

On 1/10/2018 at 10:43 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, that's the important issue at stake - much the same way as another poster was concerned about his personal hygeine....

even Fox News!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/01/12/wikileaks-founder-julian-assanges-poor-hygiene-sparks-complaints-at-ecuador-embassy-report-says.html

:cheesy:

8 hours ago, bendejo said:

Thank you for making clear the important issue - backed up by fox news :shock1:.

I, for one - am deeply grateful for this important contribution to the discussion....