Visa Exempt, 30 days at Airport

Can a Visa Exempt, 30 days at Airport be extended /changed into a 1 year Retirement Visa?

If so... What steps to take to do it?

How much would it cost to charge a Service in Thailand to handle it for you, if it's more convenient/less stressful ( and just provide them with Income Affidavit/passport)?

You can apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration and then an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 entry from the visa.

You must have 15 days reaming of your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it.

General requirement are here for the visa application. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

• Like 2

Thanks.

I decided  I wasn't going to the nearest (honorary) consulate in Miami (300 miles each way) and spend 2 -3 nights there, because it has to be done in person: no mail-in, and they are open only for 2-3 hrs M W F... which means I have to stay 2-3 nights  in a hotel in Miami (my least favorite city).

The consulate requires having an accommodation reservation in Thailand as well as a non refundable round trip fare ( an open ticket - refundable one, would cost twice  as much or more).

1- Do they require Accommodation Reservation/ cash needed (at BKK airport)  for the 30 days Visa.

2- Would it be a good idea to stay in Bangkok  in the vicinity,  for 2 weeks to get prepared and apply for  the conversion ; between US embassy and  Immigration in Bangkok (they seem to be 30 minutes apart... and it would be ideal if  I can find a hotel halfway between the 2).

3- Would there be a problem, if after applying for the conversion,  i relocate to HH /Cha Am... or should I stay around until I get the answer?

TIA

Edited by bttao
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration and then an extension of stay based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 entry from the visa.

You must have 15 days reaming of your 30 day entry or the 30 day extension of it.

General requirement are here for the visa application. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Thanks  ubonjoe.

I need some clarification please:

A-  I get an entry 30 days Visa..( at the airport). (1,000 B?)

B-  I apply for  a 90 day Category O Visa,  before the 15th day i am in Thailand.(2,000 B) (at the Immigration downtown) 

C- I apply for the  1 year extension for Retirement  within the last 30 days of the Category O visa for Retirement purpose (2,000 B) (Immig Downtown)

Is this how it works?:

2 hours ago, bttao said:

A-  I get an entry 30 days Visa..( at the airport). (1,000 B?)

If your country is on the visa-exempt list (USA, right?), you get in with no visa at no cost with a 30-day stay.   Those who pay for VOAs generally get 15 days only.

B-  I apply for  a 90 day Category O Visa,  before the 15th day i am in Thailand.(2,000 B) (at the Immigration downtown) 

Yes, though I would apply a few days after arrival, so if they want something you don't have, you have a chance/time to get it. 

C- I apply for the  1 year extension for Retirement  within the last 30 days of the Category O visa for Retirement purpose (2,000 B) (Immig Downtown)

1900 Baht - same office (Chang Wattana) as you use for the Conversion - though a different queue in that office.  Or ... see below.

4 hours ago, bttao said:

1- Do they require Accommodation Reservation/ cash needed (at BKK airport)  for the 30 days Visa.

You should have 10K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks on your person (not just plastic) and a flight out within 30-days.  The issue with the flight out is most likely to be an issue when boarding the plane.  The required cash is unlikely to be asked for at the Thai immigration-checkpoint, but could be.

2- Would it be a good idea to stay in Bangkok  in the vicinity,  for 2 weeks to get prepared and apply for  the conversion ; between US embassy and  Immigration in Bangkok (they seem to be 30 minutes apart... and it would be ideal if  I can find a hotel halfway between the 2).

Per above, don't wait to apply - 15 days is the minimum.  You will need proof you live there (lease / contract) so that they will serve you.  I would stay until receiving the Non-O. 

3- Would there be a problem, if after applying for the conversion,  i relocate to HH /Cha Am... or should I stay around until I get the answer?

After getting the Non-O, you could move, and apply for the 1-year extension elsewhere. 

When you move to HH, be sure to file a TM-30 and a TM-28 form with that immigration office upon arrival.  They may only want the TM-30 (varies by office), but I'd offer both.  After you have officially re-located to that area, you could then apply for your extension there.

Edited by JackThompson

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

If your country is on the visa-exempt list (USA, right?), you get in with no visa at no cost with a 30-day stay.   Those who pay for VOAs generally get 15 days only.

Yes, though I would apply a few days after arrival, so if they want something you don't have, you have a chance/time to get it. 

1900 Baht - same office (Chang Wattana) as you use for the Conversion - though a different queue in that office.  Or ... see below.

You should have 10K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks on your person (not just plastic) and a flight out within 30-days.  The issue with the flight out is most likely to be an issue when boarding the plane.  The required cash is unlikely to be asked for at the Thai immigration-checkpoint, but could be.

Per above, don't wait to apply - 15 days is the minimum.  You will need proof you live there (lease / contract) so that they will serve you.  I would stay until receiving the Non-O. 

After getting the Non-O, you could move, and apply for the 1-year extension elsewhere. 

When you move to HH, be sure to file a TM-30 and a TM-28 form with that immigration office upon arrival.  They may only want the TM-30 (varies by office), but I'd offer both.  After you have officially re-located to that area, you could then apply for your extension there.

Thanks Jack... it is getting clearer in my head going thru this maze.

How long does it take to get the Conversion to 90 days Visa? (for planning on how long I should get the accommodation  lease for).

Can you get a lease in a hotel for 2 weeks.. the  time to assemble all the forms needed (including Income Affidavit  from embassy which will be needed for the 1 year extension later on,  rather than returning to Bangkok for it, since it's valid for 6 months), for the 90 Conversion to Type O  (to take/show Immigration)?

Do I need to notarize all the copies of the passport pages the immigration ask for?

"The issue with the flight out is most likely to be an issue when boarding the plane." 

so , may be I need to have a ticket ready to Malaysia/Vn on  Air Asia in case?

Edited by bttao

1 hour ago, bttao said:

How long does it take to get the Conversion to 90 days Visa? (for planning on how long I should get the accommodation  lease for).

I know someone who recently arrived in Bangkok, checked into a hotel there (no fixed lease period) and applied for a conversion informing Chaeng Wattana immigration that he was staying there while looking for a permanent place to live. They were quite happy with that.

It takes about 2 weeks after the application for the conversion before you go back to receive the 90-day stamp, but there seems no problem if you want to leave the hotel after the application.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I know someone who recently arrived in Bangkok, checked into a hotel there (no fixed lease period) and applied for a conversion informing Chaeng Wattana immigration that he was staying there while looking for a permanent place to live. They were quite happy with that.

It takes about 2 weeks after the application for the conversion before you go back to receive the 90-day stamp, but there seems no problem if you want to leave the hotel after the application.

Thanks, Tim .... helpful to know.

Do you need to notarize the photo copies immigration ask for ( like the Passport pages)?

2 minutes ago, bttao said:

Do you need to notarize the photo copies immigration ask for ( like the Passport pages)?

Nothing needs to be notarized. You only need to sign every copy you submit with your application that is what certified means here.