Changing sand

hackjam

Dont know/understand much about pools, got chemical pool.

So for the past few weeks, pool water has been a bit cloudy, just not crystal clear. So the boss from the guy that always cleans pool rocks up, tries a few different things and then yesterday tells me that the sand needs changing, will need 5 sacks and will cost 2,000 B.

So does this seem reasonable solution and is 2K reasonable price?

Also, what does the sand do, I take it that it is stored inside that big dome in the pump house.

Sand is the filter media that is in the (Dome in the pump house 555) I would suggest you use "Eco Clear" (recycled plate glass) instead of sand. The sand in Thailand is not silicone sand and is very soft. At best sand lasts 18 mths but given that most Thai pool cleaners backwash every time they go in the pump house (1 yr at best)!  Most good pools shops have it. You only need the fine grade. Don't let they sell you 2 sizes! It is not required with domestic size filters!! The colour of the Eco is white. Not brown on the brochure attached! 

Cost is more expensive but last 15 yrs & gives a far better filtration. (Approx 1000 baht per 20kg/bag)

Eco Clear Brochure.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Get some one to check the cynuric acid levels , if the levels are high the chlorine will become ineffective.There has been much written on this forum about the effects of high cynuric acid levels .

History of the Production Process of eco glass media

In the mid 1990s international maritime law was changed to prohibit the dumping of waste at sea by merchant shipping, - a practice that had been routinely taking place for centuries. Soon after a large cruise liner was photographed illegally dumping waste off the coast of Florida. The owners were subsequently fined $1million, but the US judge took the enlightened approach of offering a half million-dollar rebate if the cruise line agreed to implement a total waste management system. Glass presented a unique problem. It cannot be incinerated and occupies the same space whether full or empty. So it required to be safely and efficiently “crushed”, and then stored until it could be offloaded. As no suitable equipment met the specification, consultant engineer was engaged to design a rugged processor that would reduce the overall volume of glass, and make it safe to handle. It was during the testing phase that the unique process was first discovered to densify glass down to 15% of its original volume, and also render it totally sharp free and safe to handle. The Imploder proved a success, Krysteline was formed and the process patented worldwide.

The  quality of glass filter media has improved immensely over the years. I remember  finding all sorts in the bags of media early days paper, ceramic tiles  and all manner of things.

Infact the products and process is so good now it really doesn't matter wether the it comes from scrap virgin glass or broken beer bottles .

Remember once on a project in the UK about 10 tonnes  was required , the very clever official from the council asked if they provided the glass would we give them a discount??

The correct amount of glass was collected from various bottle banks and was duly turned into filter media.

At the time  the recycling aspect was the deal breaker with local councils.

It worked really well for us as our buying power was so great we   could charged the customer the same if we used silica sand , mind you most of our projects were 5-7 tonne per filter.

ps they did get the discount.

41 minutes ago, sappersrest said:

Get some one to check the cynuric acid levels , if the levels are high the chlorine will become ineffective.There has been much written on this forum about the effects of high cynuric acid levels .

History of the Production Process of eco glass media

In the mid 1990s international maritime law was changed to prohibit the dumping of waste at sea by merchant shipping, - a practice that had been routinely taking place for centuries. Soon after a large cruise liner was photographed illegally dumping waste off the coast of Florida. The owners were subsequently fined $1million, but the US judge took the enlightened approach of offering a half million-dollar rebate if the cruise line agreed to implement a total waste management system. Glass presented a unique problem. It cannot be incinerated and occupies the same space whether full or empty. So it required to be safely and efficiently “crushed”, and then stored until it could be offloaded. As no suitable equipment met the specification, consultant engineer was engaged to design a rugged processor that would reduce the overall volume of glass, and make it safe to handle. It was during the testing phase that the unique process was first discovered to densify glass down to 15% of its original volume, and also render it totally sharp free and safe to handle. The Imploder proved a success, Krysteline was formed and the process patented worldwide.

The  quality of glass filter media has improved immensely over the years. I remember  finding all sorts in the bags of media early days paper, ceramic tiles  and all manner of things.

Infact the products and process is so good now it really doesn't matter wether the it comes from scrap virgin glass or broken beer bottles .

Remember once on a project in the UK about 10 tonnes  was required , the very clever official from the council asked if they provided the glass would we give them a discount??

The correct amount of glass was collected from various bottle banks and was duly turned into filter media.

At the time  the recycling aspect was the deal breaker with local councils.

It worked really well for us as our buying power was so great we   could charged the customer the same if we used silica sand , mind you most of our projects were 5-7 tonne per filter.

ps they did get the discount.

Well researched but only half the story!! The Eco Glass that should be used is from "recycled plate glass" & if you really knew what you was talking about you would know the difference!! Which is big!! 

Plate glass under normal glass recycling  process is not possible  because it requires a higher melting point.

However  it can be crushed and used as filter media , The point is that a normally un reycyclable product has found its way into a market place, which is really good for the environment, but as a filter media is sold at a premium price, with the only advantage over normal crushed glass media is that it is slightly harder.

wich in the realms of things is of no great consequence.

Sand in various forms has been used since roman times for water filtration and is still a popular  filtration medium.

If the claims of certain distributers are to be believe the filter media will out last the filter.

Whilst not wanting to enter into a mine is better than yours argument Having  bought many thousands of  tonnes of sand and  glass filtration media I have formed the opinion that glass is a better filtration media than sand for longevity , the end product in water quality is the same but sand changes will be more frequent..

10 hours ago, sappersrest said:

Plate glass under normal glass recycling  process is not possible  because it requires a higher melting point.

However  it can be crushed and used as filter media , The point is that a normally un reycyclable product has found its way into a market place, which is really good for the environment, but as a filter media is sold at a premium price, with the only advantage over normal crushed glass media is that it is slightly harder.

wich in the realms of things is of no great consequence.

Sand in various forms has been used since roman times for water filtration and is still a popular  filtration medium.

If the claims of certain distributers are to be believe the filter media will out last the filter.

Whilst not wanting to enter into a mine is better than yours argument Having  bought many thousands of  tonnes of sand and  glass filtration media I have formed the opinion that glass is a better filtration media than sand for longevity , the end product in water quality is the same but sand changes will be more frequent..

Maybe you are not aware of the studies that have been done by universities in Australia that prove "Recycled Plate Glass" media is far better in filtration than sand or Zeolite! Not just longer in life but far superior in polishing the water for a better clarity!! Biofilm can't adhere to the glass so a quicker backwash is achieved resulting in less water usage & less chemicals down the drain!!  

used sand and ecoclear samples (Small).JPG

Have discussed here before concerning this

Would just like to give a heads up that one should get a wet & dry Vac - It worked beautifully in no time at all

Just a small 30 lt Electrolux

By the way Bagwain my glass is working good but haven't back washed yet (may look like sometime yet )

** But I did notice a pressure drop a mth after the anitial reading only of about 2 Psi & the outlet pressures are ok

PS: maybe glass settling in

43 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Have discussed here before concerning this

Would just like to give a heads up that one should get a wet & dry Vac - It worked beautifully in no time at all

Just a small 30 lt Electrolux

By the way Bagwain my glass is working good but haven't back washed yet (may look like sometime yet )

** But I did notice a pressure drop a mth after the anitial reading only of about 2 Psi & the outlet pressures are ok

PS: maybe glass settling in

Get into a habit of backwashing monthly!!

Eco doesn't use a lot of water & it is a good practice so you don't forget!!

Cheers

Archived