Marriage Certificate query

mick01827

Hoping someone can clear this up for me.

I'm English, gf now wife Thai, got married 7th December 2017 in Bangkok using an agency, after we received all the paperwork back, marriage certificates etc, including translations the agent said I had to take it to 'my government' in England to register my new wife within 60 days but she wouldn't / couldn't elaborate anymore. 

I know I don't have to register the marriage but wondering if I have to take the marriage certificates to a government office like the agent indicated.

Advice would be very much appreciated. 

In the past,

You could trade a foreign marriage certificate, for an English marriage certificate at the GRO in the UK.

But they stopped doing that a couple of years back, saying the foreign marriage certificate is good enough.

It was never something you had to do.

Probably best not letting the British government know what you're doing, or where you're living as it doesn't get you anything but trouble.

I'm still single and living in the Uk as far as they know, no need for them to know I'm living in a foreign country and married to a foreign woman.

16 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

In the past,

You could trade a foreign marriage certificate, for an English marriage certificate at the GRO in the UK.

But they stopped doing that a couple of years back, saying the foreign marriage certificate is good enough.

It was never something you had to do.

Probably best not letting the British government know what you're doing, or where you're living as it doesn't get you anything but trouble.

I'm still single and living in the Uk as far as they know, no need for them to know I'm living in a foreign country and married to a foreign woman.

But I live in England and she lives in Thailand at the moment so I want her to come to England for a few years until I'm in a position to move to Thailand 

You dont have to register your marriage mick, the govt dont want to know mate.

Just leave it until you apply for her settlement visa and then they will see.

Just a small tip.....you can always get a copy of the certificate but not another original so I got the two originals laminated so it lasts and isnt so easy to lose...lol

HL

So long as the marriage was correctly performed within Thai law, then there is no need or requirement to register a marriage in the UK, the Thai Marriage certificate and a translation will suffice.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

Regarding the going to live in UK part, your wife will have to apply for a settlement visa in order to do this, I hope that you have looked in to this carefully, as it isn't as straightforward as it used to be, you will have to satisfy all of the requirements prior to the visa being granted, which includes the yearly financial requirements, English language tests, medical tests and NHS supplements etc. etc. there is a lot of info and knowledge in this regard within the visa and migration to other countries forum.

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/25-visas-and-migration-to-other-countries/

1 hour ago, happylarry said:

You dont have to register your marriage mick, the govt dont want to know mate.

Just leave it until you apply for her settlement visa and then they will see.

Just a small tip.....you can always get a copy of the certificate but not another original so I got the two originals laminated so it lasts and isnt so easy to lose...lol

HL

Thanks mate, I know I don't have to register 'the marriage' BUT the woman at the agency we used said I have to let the UK government about my wife although I can't find any info regarding this anywhere  

21 minutes ago, mick01827 said:

Thanks mate, I know I don't have to register 'the marriage' BUT the woman at the agency we used said I have to let the UK government about my wife although I can't find any info regarding this anywhere  

Well you will just have to make a choice who you want to believe then mate, wont you.....lol

HL

2 hours ago, happylarry said:

Well you will just have to make a choice who you want to believe then mate, wont you.....lol

HL

Agree

I never dealt with anyone I auss - only for a  tourist visa X 3 & never plan to tell or deal with them

There is no need to register anything,  you used to be able store the certificate in uk so if you need a certified copy you could but that service has been discontinued

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/marriage-certificate-registry-service-discontinued-for-overseas-brits

The only thing you need to do is remember to tick married on any applications you make

The only thing i did was get certified copies from thailand as it was cheaper, but have never needed them.

The embassy arnt interested in your status 

Edited by howerde
add text

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, mick01827 said:

Sounds like BS to me, but if you are going to rely on marriage for some future benefit in the UK, it might be a good idea to let them know.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like BS to me, but if you are going to rely on marriage for some future benefit in the UK, it might be a good idea to let them know.

Thanks for the reply but surely they already know about everything as it all had to go through the UK embassy at Bangkok.