Visa on Arrival - Airport vs Land Entry

I need to catch up on the 1,001 changes that have been made to Thai Immigration in the last 6 months and would appreciate any help.  I know they are limiting Visa on Arrival now.  I was told when I got my last 30-day stamp (at a land crossing) that I couldn't get any more until June of this year (2018).  A South African colleague that I work with said that he's gone to Thailand 4 times in the last year and had no problem with VoA at all.  He thinks the difference is that he was going into 

I'm currently working in Vietnam, and need to do a border hop into Thailand.  I'm a US expat, with a wife and kids in Thailand.  It's been a while since I've navigated the Thai immigration maze, and I'd really appreciate any clarification and, especially, any documentation to help clarify.

You can do 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year at land border crossing . A VOA is only for 15 day and you do not qualify for one.

By air there is no written limit on visa exempt entries.

If you are legally married to your wife you could get a multiple entry non-o visa that would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date it is issued.