Does British Marriage Certificate Need Translating?

Can anyone please advise if a British marriage certificate has to be translated into Thai for the extension for retirement and dependant visas? I have had conflicting advice. I have read some of the old threads on the forum which says it does but one of the Thailand legal firms that I contacted says it doesn’t. One of the Thai Consulates in the UK have told me that they will arrange the translation and certification for me if I want them to. We are both British :o

Can anyone please advise if a British marriage certificate has to be translated into Thai for the extension for retirement and dependant visas? I have had conflicting advice. I have read some of the old threads on the forum which says it does but one of the Thailand legal firms that I contacted says it doesn’t. One of the Thai Consulates in the UK have told me that they will arrange the translation and certification for me if I want them to. We are both British :o

It depends if your in the UK or Thailand, I got my first non O in the UK and the marraige certificate didn't need translating, but in Thailand you have to get it certified by the British Embassy around 1200 Baht and then get it translated at one of the visa agents nearby , cost me altogether 2900 Baht.

It also depends which immigration office or officer you happen to deal with. Of course if you translate and verify it, then there is no problem. Most Thai officers have difficulty with English version so it is easy and convenient for them if somebody else has translated and verified it. Many foreigners believe that there are fixed rules unfortunately that is not always true in Thailand.

You can argue and convince as we did for our certificate or better still get it translated and verified at the foreign ministry office in Bangkok on Chang watana road. There are people sitting outside who will do it for you in baht 1500 (if the price has not increased). They will translate and get it verified and signed by the foreign ministry officer.

Hi

I'm in the UK at the moment, I'm just planning ahead. The marriage certificate is for when I apply for an extension based on retirement/dependant. I thought if I had it done whilst in UK less to think about once in Chiang Mai. Would the Immigration except it if it has been certified by Thai Consulate in UK? :o

Hi

I'm in the UK at the moment, I'm just planning ahead. The marriage certificate is for when I apply for an extension based on retirement/dependant. I thought if I had it done whilst in UK less to think about once in Chiang Mai. Would the Immigration except it if it has been certified by Thai Consulate in UK? :o

hi,im just going through the process myself but for a thai marriage visa,im planning to live in los within a year...i called the thai consul in the u.k,and they gave me this number....mrs edwards in bristol..0117989686,£52.88 inc vat,apparently this is good enough to show immigration when in thailand....

Hi

hi,im just going through the process myself but for a thai marriage visa,im planning to live in los within a year...i called the thai consul in the u.k,and they gave me this number....mrs edwards in bristol..0117989686,£52.88 inc vat,apparently this is good enough to show immigration when in thailand....

You are an absolute star. Thanks so much :D