American/Russian drug dealing couple arrested on Koh Phangan

Jonathan Fairfield

American/Russian drug dealing couple arrested on Koh Phangan

t1.jpg

Image: Thairath

An American man and Russian woman have been arrested for selling large quantities of MDMA and other drugs to tourists on Koh Phangan.

On Thursday (Jan 11) officers from Surat Thani police arrested American Enrico Santos Russon, 44, and Russian national Miss Rimma Kubanova, 22.

Police said they had been monitoring the couple for some time and were eventually arrested after selling drugs to an undercover officer.

Following a search of a bungalow on the island rented by the couple, officers seized haul of illegal drugs including 145.74g of MDMA and smaller quantities of cannabis, ketamine and crystal meth, with a combined street value of 500,000 baht. 

250 plastic bags, digital weighing scales and approximately 200,000 baht in cash was also confiscated, Thairath reported.

Police described the couple as major drug traffickers and had been dealing MDMA and other drugs to tourists on Koh Phangan. 

The pair were charged under the narcotics act of Thailand with possession and distribution of a category 1 drug.

The arrest of the drug dealing couple is the latest part of a crackdown by the authorities to tackle the sale of illegal drugs on the island.

Also last week, soldiers from an army division in Surat Thani used Article 44 to shut down two pubs after they were found selling drug to foreign tourists.

Colonel Kriangkrai Srirak, deputy commander of the Fifth Infantry Division, said he invoked Article 44 to order the indefinite closure of Reggae Bar and Bello Bar on Haad Rin Beach, The Nation reported.

Troops raided the two pubs late last month and found that they were selling marijuana, magic mushroom drinks and laughing gas to foreign tourists

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-15

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These two idiots wont be going to any more parties for a very long time then. That little lot should net them about 50 years each, and unlike charges like stabbings and murder, there wont be any bail. Sorry Folks, but you are screwed.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Following a search of a bungalow on the island rented by the couple, officers seized haul of illegal drugs including 145.74g of MDMA and smaller quantities of cannabis, ketamine and crystal meth, with a combined street value of 500,000 baht. 

250 plastic bags, digital weighing scales and approximately 200,000 baht in cash was also confiscated, Thairath reported.

Police described the couple as major drug traffickers and had been dealing MDMA and other drugs to tourists on Koh Phangan. 

$16,000 worth of drugs and $6000 in cash sounds more like a hobbyist than a major drug trafficker, especially when $$$ millions cross through Thailand every week (every day?) unfettered by law enforcement efforts.

10 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

200,000 baht in cash was also confiscated,...............Wonder Who got That ???

When they do a good job, it´s not nessessary to bash, without proper facts.

10 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Clearly a line of work reserved for the locals only - plus no work permit either ... 

The locals have nothing to do with this story, this time. No need to bash here or bring them into the discussion either. If you don´t like the locals, you will have a big problem in every country you choose to reside in or visit.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

$16,000 worth of drugs and $6000 in cash sounds more like a hobbyist than a major drug trafficker, especially when $$$ millions cross through Thailand every week (every day?) unfettered by law enforcement efforts.

I guess they do what they can. Look at other countries. The big fish always stays on top there too. As for me, I see this as a progress in the right direction. I also see it as a quite big bust and are happy to have these person out of their business.

Regarding the american, it looks like he have been using quite a lot too. Or maybe he just need to visit a toilet. 

145.74g of MDMA and smaller quantities of cannabis, ketamine and crystal meth, with a combined street value of 500,000 baht + 250 plastic bags, digital weighing scales and approximately 200,000 baht in cash.

Possession and distribution of a category 1 drug.

- Violations involving Category I substances carry a fine of up to 5 million baht or a sentence of life in prison. 
- Violators guilty of distributing Category I substances may be subjected to the death penalty. 

It will be a painful long time in prison for the two pusher idiots.

45 minutes ago, Get Real said:
9 hours ago, impulse said:

I guess they do what they can. Look at other countries. The big fish always stays on top there too. As for me, I see this as a progress in the right direction. I also see it as a quite big bust and are happy to have these person out of their business.

Getting drugs off the streets, or just getting their competition out of the way?

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Getting drugs off the streets, or just getting their competition out of the way?

Very strange comment, when you already know exactly what I meant. However, I am used to your long discussions about nothing, so I will not engage in another one that leads nowhere. Cheers!

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

These two idiots wont be going to any more parties for a very long time then. That little lot should net them about 50 years each, and unlike charges like stabbings and murder, there wont be any bail. Sorry Folks, but you are screwed.

yes your dead right. no time for these idiots, their just lazy bxms who just dont want to work, they want to have the good retired life that so many of us enjoy here but we all worked for out retirement.

I still don't get it. It's clear that any illegal drug sellers in Thailand (especially farangs) face certain long jail sentences. It's also quite clear that the police are reasonably good at catching them judging by all the cases. So why why why do these people still do this and ruin their lives? Are they completely mad?  

16 minutes ago, cms22 said:

I still don't get it. It's clear that any illegal drug sellers in Thailand (especially farangs) face certain long jail sentences. It's also quite clear that the police are reasonably good at catching them judging by all the cases. So why why why do these people still do this and ruin their lives? Are they completely mad?  

brain dead idiots. thais always watch whats going on around them. bit like meerkats. how they thought they could get away with it on an island without anyone noticing, well i suspect they were using the drugs themselves. they are going jail for a very, very long time

Archived