100% Proof ownership of vehicle purchased. Blue Book

Thaifish

I have just bought a new Fortuner from Toyota in the Burriram area. I think!! Payed cash electronically from my Thai Bank acc to their Toyota acc. My Thai partner signed all the documents including insurance. I want to make sure 100% that I have ownership of the vehicle. Thai missus saying once the red plates are returned in 45 days the rego papers will be in my name to prove ownership. The next 45 days or so I feel in limbo with ownership but can live with that being with my partner for 5 years now. We just traded the Isuzu in to meet with purchase of new car. Short cuts mentioned with putting ownership of new car in my name as cash paid up front.

My question is does the Blue Book prove ownership of the vehicle outright 100% with the name in it (Rego papers as I know them) or, is there another document which can also show another owner and the Fellang is just a good guy paying for the rego/insurance costs?

A receipt of payment wouldn't go amiss - with your name on it of course. 

To register the vehicle in your name you would need to prove your address (i.e. Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy or Immigration, House book (with your name in it) or Work Permit).

Ultimately if the Blue Book (Registration Document) is in your name you are the owner.  

I'm not sure why your Thai partner signed any documents... the purchase of your car has little to do with her other than she may have been there to help you translate. 

Cheers Richard for your quick reply, As you say the Blue Book ultimately proves ownership. That is the answer I am chasing.

The Thai Partner translating or doing things the Thai way is another story. I have ownership of a 110cc Honda Wave in my name (still waiting on the leather's from Hells Angels or the Bandito's with the emblem Burriram Chapter #1 across the back).  

As usual I will sit back and watch what unfolds as is the norm. Something I am still coming to grips with over here. 

45 days is a long wait for a car paid in cash, there is no reason not to do it within 14 days or less, just the garage hanging onto the cash as long as possible, i would go back in and make sure everything is in your name and pester them to get the reg done asap. they will also need proof of residence from you.

OP, have you provided the dealership with proof of your residence?

Most likely, it would be in the form of a letter from Thai immigration or a yellow book. Or a work permit.

If they have not asked for, and you have not provided them with your proof of residence, then that's a good clue that your name will not be in the blue book, and that you should start doing some serious checking on what they are hoping to accomplish without YOUR proof of address. 

On 16.1.2018 at 11:55 PM, richard_smith237 said:

A receipt of payment wouldn't go amiss - with your name on it of course. 

To register the vehicle in your name you would need to prove your address (i.e. Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy or Immigration, House book (with your name in it) or Work Permit).

Ultimately if the Blue Book (Registration Document) is in your name you are the owner.  

I'm not sure why your Thai partner signed any documents... the purchase of your car has little to do with her other than she may have been there to help you translate. 

I agree with most of your post, but there is no need to be registered in the house book as it is not possible. I've never cared about a yellow one and never had a problem to register a car in my name.

12 minutes ago, swissbie said:

I agree with most of your post, but there is no need to be registered in the house book as it is not possible. I've never cared about a yellow one and never had a problem to register a car in my name.

How did you register the car in your name?

... you will have needed some form of proof of address.

Accepted Proof of Address usually comes in the form of one of the following::

- Affirmation of Residence letter (from your Embassy). 

- Proof of Residence letter (from Immigration - if you have carried out a 90 day report)

- Work Permit

- House Book

Many expats and contributors to this forum are indeed registered on their house book (yellow for house) or Condo Book (Dark Blue).

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How did you register the car in your name?

... you will have needed some form of proof of address.

Accepted Proof of Address usually comes in the form of one of the following::

- Affirmation of Residence letter (from your Embassy). 

- Proof of Residence letter (from Immigration - if you have carried out a 90 day report)

- Work Permit

- House Book

Many expats and contributors to this forum are indeed registered on their house book (yellow for house) or Condo Book (Dark Blue).

Affirmation of residence letter from my embassy, as they didn't accept one from the immigration, and yes, it's only one of them.

11 minutes ago, swissbie said:

Affirmation of residence letter from my embassy, as they didn't accept one from the immigration, and yes, it's only one of them.

In my case, -and yes, the Blue Book is in my name- it worked with:

1) Copy of passport with visa

2) Certificate of Residence from Immigration

3) Copy of my Thai driving license ( I don't understand why, because the ownership has nothing to do with who is driving, but TiT :wink:)

8 minutes ago, BernieOnTour said:

In my case, -and yes, the Blue Book is in my name- it worked with:

1) Copy of passport with visa

2) Certificate of Residence from Immigration

3) Copy of my Thai driving license ( I don't understand why, because the ownership has nothing to do with who is driving, but TiT :wink:)

I've never lived in a condo, so no blue house book, they made a copy of my Thai driving license too, but that was not mandatory.

It doesn't matter in who's name it is .........your money is gone .

Enjoy the car as long as you can and dont think too negative .

Your name in the blue book can be changed in an eyewink , ....or do you think you are smarter than a thai-lady ?

C'mon guys, read the post's I have put up trying to keep it simple. So a bit more explaining. All I want to know is does the Blue Book (rego Papers) prove ownership of a vehicle or is there another form/letter that can prove ownership. I believe that was answered by Richard's post as nobody has come up with another form/letter that shows otherwise.

I can wait out the 45 days for the new plates and the Blue Book not a problem. Posts Like >> Money is gone, Your name in the Blue Book can be changed in an eyewink. Is that a serious answer to my OP. Please explain?

To the doomsayers I hope they drop the bomb on my front door step when it happens.

All I want to know is an answer to my original question and If it is different to Richard's posts we can discuss this on the forum.

7 minutes ago, Thaifish said:

C'mon guys, read the post's I have put up trying to keep it simple. So a bit more explaining. All I want to know is does the Blue Book (rego Papers) prove ownership of a vehicle or is there another form/letter that can prove ownership. I believe that was answered by Richard's post as nobody has come up with another form/letter that shows otherwise.

I can wait out the 45 days for the new plates and the Blue Book not a problem. Posts Like >> Money is gone, Your name in the Blue Book can be changed in an eyewink. Is that a serious answer to my OP. Please explain?

To the doomsayers I hope they drop the bomb on my front door step when it happens.

All I want to know is an answer to my original question and If it is different to Richard's posts we can discuss this on the forum.

Yes, if your name is in the blue book, it's your's. No other possibilities when you buy it first hand from a car dealer.

YES, once your name printed on the blue book, the car is your own, this is the answer, 

to make this as confirmed to you, I owned and sold 3 cars in bangkok, always my name on the blue book, and YES again!

hope this helped and makes it clear to your concerned point. 

Other point is that once you've received the blue book, sign where your name is in the book, otherwise department of land transport will accept any matching signature and can transfer the ownership to anyone with power of attorney's letter. Signing the blue book makes it an extra step harder for anyone to forge your details. Sometime 2nd hand dealer will prefer 'unsigned' blue book as it makes it easier for them to transfer the car around.

On 1/19/2018 at 5:33 PM, digbeth said:

Other point is that once you've received the blue book, sign where your name is in the book, otherwise department of land transport will accept any matching signature and can transfer the ownership to anyone with power of attorney's letter. Signing the blue book makes it an extra step harder for anyone to forge your details. Sometime 2nd hand dealer will prefer 'unsigned' blue book as it makes it easier for them to transfer the car around.

As mentioned in above, I owned and sold several times: cars and motobikes, but never signed near my name,

In the case you case you said 2nd deal can transfer it easily without signature,

how about the passport / identity of the owner?

I agree there are some flexible corners everywhere in everything to use it in the wrong way, but not really sure about how they can do this by just doing fake signature,

if anyone experienced this before, plz share your comments, so that we can be better protected

2 hours ago, waxpro said:

As mentioned in above, I owned and sold several times: cars and motobikes, but never signed near my name,

In the case you case you said 2nd deal can transfer it easily without signature,

I agree there are some flexible corners everywhere in everything to use it in the wrong way, but not really sure about how they can do this by just doing fake signature,

if anyone experienced this before, plz share your comments, so that we can be better protected

If you don't sign in the blue/green book, when transferring, if they managed to get a hold of the actual book then they'd only need a photocopy of your ID where you're supposed to sign and signed power of attorney letter from you, and a contract of the sale obviously if done fraudulently all the signature would match since they can sign whatever in the blank blue book and it'd still match.

Signing in the book means at least they'd have to make at attempt to forge a similar looking signature to yours

I've had case where it's been a while since I first sign in the book and my signature has changed a bit so when it comes to transfer the lady at DLT had to ring me up to ask for additional details to confirm if it's really me

If the OP's name and signature isn't on any of the purchase documentation, regardless if his name is in the blue book, it looks like a fraud has already been committed.

With regard to lawyers, signed power of attorney and staff at transportation offices, due diligence doesn't exist. Do your own,

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, waxpro said:

A copy of my relevant Passport was taken by the Car Dealer at the purchase and signed. I was told at the time these details would be used to put my name in the Blue Book. (I have motorbike already in my name so know the process to obtain the Blue Book with my name in it. Even though I had all correct paperwork I paid tea-money out the back to fast track the application rather than sit around at the Registration office all day). I was told as the sale of the Fortuner was cash only  no other document's would be required by me as the Thai Partner gave copies of House Book, ID card. I'm presuming rather than having a certified copy of my address from the Police Station with photo attached the Car Dealer uses the Partners details as necessary proof of residence. I'm sure the car dealer would have "friends" in the Rego office. Only surmising!!.

On 19.1.2018 at 3:24 AM, waxpro said:

YES, once your name printed on the blue book, the car is your own, this is the answer, 

to make this as confirmed to you, I owned and sold 3 cars in bangkok, always my name on the blue book, and YES again!

hope this helped and makes it clear to your concerned point. 

Are the names normally printed in English? 

Namplik. 100% sure your name will be in the book along with your Passport Numbers and (your current address in Thai script but English Street and House Numbers so you can decipher etc). I just checked my Green Book for the motorbike. 

Archived