Bug Spray Mixture

simoh1490

I've read a number of posts in the past which describe a homemade mixture of chillies and garlic ++, effective in keeping bugs away from trees and plants, does anyone have any details of this mix? Apparently, the mix is first boiled and strained and then sprayed on, questions are, amounts and ingredients etc.

We have a large garden, parts of which get attacked at different times of the year by various bugs, all-purpose general insecticides are a no-no hence we're looking for something such as I've described, many people suggest it works very well.

thanks in advance. 

I chopped up Neem leaves in a kitchen mixer and added chili and garlic, delicious. 

I didn't bother about quantities or dilution, and it worked. The main function of the mixture seems to be in emitting an odour that confuses any attacking insect, so depending on how strong your mixture is on the day of making, it will work better or less well.

Trial and error. 

These days I use wood vinegar + detergent for  most things, maybe that would suit your purposes better? 

So I bought a large bag of red chillies and a bunch of garlic, put them into a large pot and boiled it then left it to simmer for a couple of hours, occasionally I'd take a potato masher and mash the mixture. After it had cooled I strained it and poured the liquid into four plastic screw-topped milk jugs and stashed the four jugs in the outside cupboard - I also poured some into a plastic squirt bottle for use around the garden. 

Today I went to check and make sure everything was OK, the liquid had eaten through the bottom of the plastic squirt bottle and the plastic milk jugs had expanded by 50%, they were like small footballs. I released the top of one bottle to let the gas escape and promptly sprayed everything nearby, I've subsequently remixed the liquid and cut it with water by 50%, stay tuned!

Bugs in my garden better watch out, they'll wish I'd use Roundup instead before I get done.

17 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

So I bought a large bag of red chillies and a bunch of garlic, put them into a large pot and boiled it then left it to simmer for a couple of hours, occasionally I'd take a potato masher and mash the mixture. After it had cooled I strained it and poured the liquid into four plastic screw-topped milk jugs and stashed the four jugs in the outside cupboard - I also poured some into a plastic squirt bottle for use around the garden. 

Today I went to check and make sure everything was OK, the liquid had eaten through the bottom of the plastic squirt bottle and the plastic milk jugs had expanded by 50%, they were like small footballs. I released the top of one bottle to let the gas escape and promptly sprayed everything nearby, I've subsequently remixed the liquid and cut it with water by 50%, stay tuned!

Bugs in my garden better watch out, they'll wish I'd use Roundup instead before I get done.

Add orange/lemon peel to the mix and it's a dog deterrent (allegedly) 

1 minute ago, adammike said:

Add orange/lemon peel to the mix and it's a dog deterrent (allegedly) 

Even without your recommended addition, the military is now interested in using it as a replacement for napalm.