Texas 'tourniquet killer' becomes first U.S. inmate executed in 2018

webfact

Texas 'tourniquet killer' becomes first U.S. inmate executed in 2018

By Jon Herskovitz

2018-01-19T010040Z_1_LYNXMPEE0I01Q_RTROPTP_3_TEXAS-EXECUTION.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Anthony Shore, 55, convicted of raping and murdering five children and young women, using a tourniquet to torture and strangle his victims, is seen in this undated Texas Department of Criminal Justice photo in Huntsville, Texas, U.S.. Texas Department of Criminal Justice/Handout via REUTERS

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - In the first U.S. execution of 2018, Texas on Thursday put to death a man convicted of raping and murdering five girls and young women, using a tourniquet to torture and strangle his victims.

Anthony Shore, 55, was executed by lethal injection in the state's death chamber in Huntsville, dying at 6:28 p.m., Robert Hurst, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, said by telephone.

It was the 546th in the state since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976, the most of any state.

Shore, whose murder spree dates back to the 1980s and 1990s, was dubbed the "tourniquet killer" for strangling his victims with handmade tourniquets, the Harris County District Attorney's office said.

(Reporting by Jon Herskovitz in Austin, Additional reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles,; Editing by Tom Brown and Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-19

48 minutes ago, Trouble said:

Where's the critics of the death penalty on this one?

It seems you want an argument, well I'm a critic of the death penalty.   It's a reality in the political landscape of the US, though.   It's not a deal breaker when I vote for someone.   I'd prefer it wasn't used and if it is, I'd prefer it were used less rather than more.   

The fact that this guy got executed isn't really worth taking much of a stand on.   He's not a poster child for eliminating the death penalty, that's for sure.   

I am from Texas and have a best friend that prosecuted several death cases. I 

12 hours ago, Trouble said:

Where's the critics of the death penalty on this one?

used to be 100 percent in favor of the death penalty until we killed an innocent man from Corsicana Texas. He was wrongfully convicted of burning his house down killing his wife and kids. I do not want to defend the man in this story as he was brutal and I did not see the trial. But politics plays a part in executions. It gets prosecutors elected to higher office. It can be used to kill mentally ill people and some innocent poor people and middle class people. I simply don’t think it is worth the risk and is not a cost effective deterrent.