Hundreds of police in Thailand block anti-junta march

rooster59

Protests for democracy are hampered by censorship of the press and internet and bans on public assembly.  Attempts at protests are met with police, then soldiers, then bullets.  It is a proven method to maintain repressive government.
Never stopped the millions protesting in recent history around the globe against oppressive regimes!

They were able to organise effective over throws while being killed by the military.

So either thais are cowards or they are content. Which one, there is no middle ground?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, toughlove said:

How about the take over of Suvarnabhumi Airport?

That affected thousands right?

Your point being?

My point is that when there are protests against unelected governments and protests calling for elections, the military crushes the protests.  When there are protests against elected governments and against elections, the military stages a coup.  Apparently you think this is ok.

So if you are not prepared to die for democracy you are a coward! That's a little harsh isn't it?
It's very simple- all the government have to do is have an election to see who the people want to administer the land.
That's all!  But they know they won't like the results!

Errm you conveniently left out the other option [emoji3]

They are happy with peaceful lives.

Every thai I know are totall content and their lives absolutely unaffected.

2 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Never stopped the millions protesting in recent history around the globe against oppressive regimes!

They were able to organise effective over throws while being killed by the military.

So either thais are cowards or they are content. Which one, there is no middle ground?

Are you referring to protests in Iran, Egypt, Russia, or other countries still under oppressive regimes?

Or do you know of situations where the protests against oppressive governments with a firm lock on the military, the press and the internet succeeded?

Just now, toughlove said:

Errm you conveniently left out the other option emoji3.png

They are happy with peaceful lives.

Every thai I know are totall content and their lives absolutely unaffected.

I'm curious, who are these Thais?  How do you know they are not telling you what you want to hear?

The Thais I know are very careful about what they say and where, though there is one that I had to caution about speaking too loudly.  Welcome to the police state.

Are you referring to protests in Iran, Egypt, Russia, or other countries still under oppressive regimes?

Or do you know of situations where the protests against oppressive governments with a firm lock on the military, the press and the internet succeeded?
Doesn't matter. The military is the military. All of the recent uprisings absolutely knew they would be attacked yet they came by the millions.

But not thais, why? They are not Martians! Lol

Think about it bro

1 minute ago, toughlove said:

Doesn't matter. The military is the military. All of the recent uprisings absolutely knew they would be attacked yet they came by the millions.

Think about it bro

Because the Thais haven't yet stormed the barricades doesn't mean they don't want an election. The citizens in the Arab countries may well have been more desperate, lacking the basics of life.

But if the government here continues to block all public participation in major decisions, continues to block and delay an election, well wait and see. 

Farang just have to accept the pathetic turn out of 200 people reflects the nation as a whole.

You can cry all you want but if you can not live without a democracy then

Bag
Taxi
Suvarnabhumi

You will NOT change a nation. And it won't be changing any time soon [emoji5]

3 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Think about it bro

I'm confused; are you now claiming that the Thais are miserable in their oppression, but too scared of the military and its history of firing on protesters to do anything about it?  In spite of this, you support military government?

Farang just have to accept the pathetic turn out of 200 people reflects the nation as a whole.

Bag
Taxi
Suvarnabhumi

You will NOT change a nation. And it won't be changing any time soon emoji5.png

You really have no idea.

October 1973

May 1992

26 minutes ago, toughlove said:

If you are right about democracy then there would be democracy. Absolutely nothing will stop a tidal wave of 60 million people. The army doesn't have enough bullets.

So either the Thais are cowards, or they are loving their peaceful lives.

Which one?

How many Americans fought for independence ?

Why can Taiwan, Japan and South Korea manage reasonable representative governments with full universal suffrage and Thailand can't ?

Edited by yellowboat

Bag
Taxi
Suvarnabhumi

Considering the censorship of the press and internet, I assume this protest had to be organized very carefully by word of mouth.  200 is a pretty good turnout for a protest that most people didn't know about.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:15 AM, canuckamuck said:

It begins.

Please curb your enthusiasm.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:26 AM, robblok said:

Its stupid.. gives the junta the perfect excuse to cling onto power even longer. 

Absolutely correct.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:52 AM, Evert250 said:

Many populations of countries around the world are simply not ready for democracy. Thailand on that list.

What on earth..? Oh, wait. You're new here. That's OK.

Considering the censorship of the press and internet, I assume this protest had to be organized very carefully by word of mouth.  200 is a pretty good turnout for a protest that most people didn't know about.

Underground movements are very capable again history shows this

IMO They screwed this up and were desperate to march with whatever they had

Seriously I could organise a party for 200 with just my cell phone. No need for press.

I bet that 200 could organise 2000 with just word of mouth but not if there was no interest!

10 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Bag
Taxi
Suvarnabhumi

That's your opinion. I know many Thais fed up of the elite and the soldiers going hand in hand every time that they need.

And as usual the best argument is "Pack and go". Pathetic.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

We will see sorry if I am not waiting for bloodshed in the streets. 

We are merely observers making comments on all we see. We don't and can't influence the proceedings. Suggesting protests may grow is not hoping or wishing for it but unfortunately freedom can often be costly. 

That's your opinion. I know many Thais fed up of the elite and the soldiers going hand in hand every time that they need.
And as usual the best argument is "Pack and go". Pathetic.
No not the best argument. It's about standing up for what you believe in but the beer is still cheap and the girls are here and fan rooms are still cheap

So you are still here [emoji23]

No not the best argument. It's about standing up for what you believe in but the beer is still cheap and the girls are here and fan rooms are still cheap

So you are still here emoji23.png

I have wife, kids and a family here... Surprise, not only sexpats live here... You seem pretty informed on the beer and girls price though. Enjoy.

14 hours ago, toughlove said:

I had more than 200 at my first wedding and the numb nuts here seem to think it's the start of a revolution emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I wonder who is the numb nut here? All revolutions have a beginning.

8 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Underground movements are very capable again history shows this

IMO They screwed this up and were desperate to march with whatever they had

Seriously I could organise a party for 200 with just my cell phone. No need for press.

I bet that 200 could organise 2000 with just word of mouth but not if there was no interest!

You can arrange a public gathering of 200 people for a political protest in Thailand?  Please, prove it!

14 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

You make it sound like it's a new thing, but in reality this is the swan song of a dying movement abandoned long ago by its leaders.

You make it sound like an old thing, but it's not. When did a group this large get together to protest since May 2014?

You can arrange a public gathering of 200 people for a political protest in Thailand?  Please, prove it!

I could organise 200 farang with just free beer. Surely a passionate political protest would do it for the cause alone

Seriously it was a shit move and they just gave the junta a free pass. If they are not arrested the junta will be seen as sympathetic.

Junta 1

Protesters 0

3 minutes ago, toughlove said:

I could organise 200 farang with just free beer.

Seriously it was a shit move and they just gave the junta a free pass. If they are not arrested the junta will be seen as sympathetic.

Junta 1
Protesters 0

Clearly you are impressed by, and supportive of, repression.

I'd still like to see you organize that political protest, just to prove your point.

20 minutes ago, toughlove said:

I could organise 200 farang with just free beer.

Junta 1
Protesters 0

Oh please, like you said  200 peaceful protesters is hardly a concerned for an armed force of thousands.  Junta is genuinely scared tho.  They do not want a repeat of the failure of the last coup.  If the junta chooses to use this as an excuse, they will lose more credibility with average Thais.

Edited by yellowboat

Don't be silly, no country has had this many failed attempts at democracy.

Problem is thailand was never truly colonized so they are technically 50 years behind other democracies.

The junta is the best thing to happen for the thai people right now. A firm hand to control childish mindsets

Should Thailand be as colonized as India, or more like the US?