Mmorg's And Thaivisa

Wolfie

What do you play?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Theres been a few topics that indicate some of our member base play online role play games (MMORG's - Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplay Games)

I just wanted to get an idea of how many people play and what games. Then we can determine if theres enough interest to start our own clan/guild.

One of my main difficulties with MMORG's is finding a regular group of people who play around my timezone, and i'm sure those of you who play MMORG's out of thailand/asia have similar difficulties.

So let us know what you play, how often you play and what times you play!

Just tried out the 14 day trial with Eve Online, quite enjoying it (also play Bf2142 and Bf2 online but they dont count as an mmorpg).

I usually log on for an hour or two most week nights whilst the Mrs watches Thai soaps.

I played a demo of guild wars (didnt grab me) but I'm interested in trying out a few more so I'll watch this with interest to see what the most popular games are and give them a go.

Edited by quiksilva

World of Warcraft - The Burning Crusade

I am spending too much time in levelling my character in TBC, after it was released this Tuesday :o

I am playing on a EU server (Bloodscalp) from Bangkok.

Using True as my ISP, and my latency is usually around 800ms, which is ok for playing these types of games.

Currently I am not in a guild, because of the time difference, and since I would not like to be responsible for a instance wipe, caused by lag or if I get disconnected... So I might also be interested in joining a TV guild, since then I would not be the only one to blame for instance wipe's, assuming there would be more people playing from Thailand :D

Edited by vett

Do you find the internet is slower here in thailand (512 MB) tends to cause problems when playing multiplayer here?

Slower than the UK, yes marginally.

Its still playable, although you are at a small disadvantage vs someone with a good internet connection in the US but i like a challenge!

I've got EQ2, WoW Star Wars: Galaxies - so they my preferred options for a guild would be WoW or EQ2 (Star wars is poo!) - If we can get enough people interested then it would be worth setting one up and see what happens... i reckon we would need around 8-10 players.

I know some other members play offline games, maybe they can be convinced to join us?

(you know who you are!)

I use True's small biz internet package its 2500 per month for 512 up and 2000 down its supposedly guaranteed bandwidth (they claim). I get pings of 200-350ms in the states and 30-150ms to TH, SG and HK servers.

I like a challenge too Wolfie, I find that you can learn to acccomodate lag (not that I get that much to be honest) in your gaming style even in FPS's

A sidequestion, does it exist any good mmog-servers in .th? Besides Line Age 2 or whatever True ran some ads for...would solve ping-issue and help finding others that live in the same timezone but doesn't visit thaivisa.

I dont know if WoW have opened any servers over here in Asia, there was talk of a S.Korea one, which is fine as long as the text is in english! I think some of the FPS have servers over this side of the world

I know they set up a lot of WoW-servers in China, but since they are behind the Great Firewall of China it doesn't do much good for us IIRC.

And private servers aren't fully legal so we cannot talk about them either...

And private servers aren't fully legal so we cannot talk about them either...

Indeed, but at the end of the day why would you want to play on a server with only a handful of players?

It surprises me sometimes, these companies don't see a market in Asia for this type of stuff, I know Oz has a big gamer community as does China, Korea, Singapore and Thailand even... I guess it comes down to the hassle/expense of setting up/maintaining a server over here with multilingual support.

I played EVE for a while - all that warping around jaded things a bit - but the game certainly had depth.

suprised Planeshift has not been mentioned - free to download and play MMORPG - a good start if you want to get into the genre for a try.

Edit: clicky

Edited by phazey

Planeshift is interesting for the whole fact regarding the open source-engine it uses, but apart from that it's not a very good mmog, at all. Part of the problem is that the engine in itself isn't that good to begin with... [hence why a project I was on decided to go with a completely different engine and instead license one].

For casual MMORPG players like myself I think WOW is the best. I simply don't have time to put in more than a few hours per week.

WOW is the easiest one to play and I like the fact that the WOW 2 month pre-purchase cards are easily available here.

Using these cards I can leave the game for nearly a year and not have to worry about them debiting my card or anything

WOW keeps all the characters so when I want to play again I just buy another card and voila! Blizzard always keep every character for just this reason

WOW keeps all the characters so when I want to play again I just buy another card and voila! Blizzard always keep every character for just this reason

Actually thats fairly standard. The operators of these MMORGS only purge the character database very infrequently. Its been that way since god was a boy

• 4 weeks later...
WoW Europe for me (Alonsus Realm). Just got into it in the last few weeks since an injury has stopped me golfing for now.

Lag is usually between 300 and 600 ms, so no great problem.

I too play WOW europe on the Terenas Realm and noticed the connection has been getting better. Is Thailand's internet improving or is it the Euro servers?

I too play WOW europe on the Terenas Realm and noticed the connection has been getting better. Is Thailand's internet improving or is it the Euro servers?

I've noticed some improvements to the game server connections. But there are dodgy times when my whole internet connection seems flaky as h*ll

of course the glaring problem with creating, for example, a TV WoW Guild - is that we would all need to character transfer to the same realm...

Or start a new character on a designated server...

.. i thought about this and was going to suggest coinciding the guild idea with the launch of a new game, theres a couple due soonish.

How does everyone feel about the two possibilities?

a ) Reroll on a new server (possibly WoW as thats where the majority seem to be)

b ) Waiting for a new game to be launched and get onto that?