Video: Absolutely crazy as air hostess taxi passenger severely injured by loony driver

webfact

29 minutes ago, puffy said:

Not saying this was the case, but last year my one year old started having serious breathing issues, and was going in and out of consciousness. 

I drove very fast and in and out of traffic to get to the hospital quickly. So sometimes it can be necessary to drive like this.

This is a tricky one, but No.. It's not necessary to drive like that [this]... i.e. so insanely recklessly that an accident became unavoidable....

.... It is never necessary to place the lives of others at risk and I'd imagine that while you made great haste you didn't drive quite so recklessly as to place your child such 'additional danger' by having an accident and preventing you from reaching your destination [the hospital].

I too have had to travel to the hospital in an Emergency Situation - With the Hazard lights on (emergency blinkers) I committed numerous traffic infractions. Which IMO was Justified given the circumstances, but doing so without placing others in danger (I just pushed to the front of a lot of queues and turned right across slow moving traffic on a red light a couple of times - but the speed was never recklessly high as I was pushing through traffic).

While an emergency situation would 'morally' justify driving more assertively than normal it doesn't justify the reckless level of driving exampled in this video. This is not the driving of someone who 'has to' reach his destination, it is the driving of someone with reckless abandonment. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago,  MrPatrickThai said: 

Are you saying ALL Thai drivers are bad? 

Pretty pathetic generalisation if you are.

He is. And they are. Give or take a few hundred. 

Thats somewhat of an over generalization....   

The death toll is attributed to 70% motorcycles.... a lot of them without helmets. 

The driving standards in Thailand, while not of a high are not so terrible that it makes it too dangerous for us to travel on Thailands roads - If it did, many of us would not be here.

Some people just like to make a sweeping negative generalization to make a point - which is understandable given the topic, however, a Generalization involving 'ALL' anything is fundamentally flawed from the offset. 

Fortunately, while there is an abundance of selfish and dangerous driving in Thailand for the most part the level of reckless abandonment exampled in this video is less common - Not ALL Thai drivers are this bad, in fact the majority of are not. 

That's what you get when tests to achieve a driving license run under the motto: 'Now every idiot can drive'.
Unfortunately true in any country. The testing in other countries may be a little more rigorous, but 95% of any population are morons, and they drive cars. A driving test can't raise their IQ's or level of common sense.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, akirasan said:

You see this kind of driving all the time on the motorway unfortunately.

Selfishness + No Spatial Awareness + Thinking their Honda is a race car.  

I was thinking if someone caused this to happen and I could get my hands on him I would deliver some justice, but in this crazy place I would probably get attacked!

7 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Why can't I not see the movie?? 

I think that it has probably gone to make money, monetised I think they call it. 

. This manner of driving is learnt on motorbikes. We need a saying for this along the lines of “you can take the girl out of the bar but....” 

Maybe Thai visa could start a competition to find the best way of describing motorcyclists driving cars.  

6 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I think that it has probably gone to make money, monetised I think they call it. 

. This manner of driving is learnt on motorbikes. We need a saying for this along the lines of “you can take the girl out of the bar but....” 

Maybe Thai visa could start a competition to find the best way of describing motorcyclists driving cars.  

I think you are spot on... The scariest thing is that they also drive bleddy great trucks and buses too !!!

48 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Better drivers is my contribution and I believe studies over the years may have proven this.  Motorcyclist tend to be more aware of their surroundings and 'read' the road far better than a clown whose only experience driving is inside a cage with 4 wheels 

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

How many thais have you met driving on European roads? 50..100..1000

Yeah,  didn't think so. 

The wife does well here, she impressed me in Thailand also, so not every Thia is a nutter on the road that is for sure. not saying this because she is the wife as if you knew me i say it and sod even the wife if she was wrong, but she is not, so praise her. So Thailand does not have 100% nutters on the road, there are many I would trust.

4 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

The wife does well here, she impressed me in Thailand also, so not every Thia is a nutter on the road that is for sure. not saying this because she is the wife as if you knew me i say it and sod even the wife if she was wrong, but she is not, so praise her. So Thailand does not have 100% nutters on the road, there are many I would trust.

My wife is the same... Not in Europe though but in Thai and oz. 

Better drivers is my contribution and I believe studies over the years may have proven this.  Motorcyclist tend to be more aware of their surroundings and 'read' the road far better than a clown whose only experience driving is inside a cage with 4 wheels 

The “clown whose only experience driving is inside a cage with 4 wheels “ is most likely an ex motorcyclist. The clown who caused this accident was driving in the same manner as a motorcyclist in Thailand, ignoring the the traffic and doing what is possible on a bike. 

15 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

The “clown whose only experience driving is inside a cage with 4 wheels “ is most likely an ex motorcyclist. The clown who caused this accident was driving in the same manner as a motorcyclist in Thailand, ignoring the the traffic and doing what is possible on a bike. 

Pure speculation. When I say motorcyclist I am not referring to the small scooters most people ride but a proper motorcycle ridden considerable distances over a long period of time. There is a world of difference between the two. 

How many thais have you met driving on European roads? 50..100..1000

Yeah,  didn't think so. 

my mrs has driven in UK, France and Spain and drove fine. Have to ask how do you 'meet' someone whilst driving by the way. just roll down your window at the lights and say hey, how you doing,

1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

Pure speculation. When I say motorcyclist I am not referring to the small scooters most people ride but a proper motorcycle ridden considerable distances over a long period of time. There is a world of difference between the two. 

When I referred to Thai drivers driving like motorcyclists did you think I meant people driving other than  “small scooters most people ride” ? 

The intimidating ‘big bikes’ weaving in and out of traffic as a gang on holiday weekends is a different subject altogether. 

If the concrete barrier had been an absorber - e.g. Armco the taxi wouldn't have rolled.

It is difficult to judge the gap the 'offending" vehicle tried to get into from behind, but it is clear the the car directly in front took no evasive action at first. If he's yielded none of this would have happened, but there is a prevailing attitude in the face of aberrant behaviour for drivers to "dig in" - "I'm not breaking the law, I'm within the speed limit, so I'm not going to take any action"

35 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

If the concrete barrier had been an absorber - e.g. Armco the taxi wouldn't have rolled.

It is difficult to judge the gap the 'offending" vehicle tried to get into from behind, but it is clear the the car directly in front took no evasive action at first. If he's yielded none of this would have happened, but there is a prevailing attitude in the face of aberrant behaviour for drivers to "dig in" - "I'm not breaking the law, I'm within the speed limit, so I'm not going to take any action"

We are generations apart here. The fact is that this accident occurred is inexcusable and only one driver is responsible for it. As to yielding, I wouldn’t advise any driver to deviate from his line without first indicating and checking that he is clear to deviate. This is especially important where undertaking is common behaviour, and where bikes and some drivers behave like bikes as in this case. 

Edited by tgeezer

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

What gap? Don't defend the idiot!

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

There is no excuse for this accident, the idiot in the black car is entirely to blame. Ironically you could say that what he did was only possible because traffic was light and cars seemed to be using correct braking distances.  The rolled taxi suffered a ‘pit  maneouvre ‘ by the taxi on his right which was pushed into him by the idiot.