Retiree- non O-A application in UK?

Hello. I am currently applying for a Non O-A visa in the UK , and the form requires a reference name and tel. number for a person in Thailand? Does this have to be a Thai citizen, or could it be a foreigner with a work permit? Thank you very much.

You don't need to go through the b*s*t required for a OA visa in the UK, police reports, medical checks, 125 pounds, references and so on. Just get a tourist visa, convert it in Bangkok into a non-O for the purpose of retirement. It's much cheaper (2000 baht), no hassle and you can get multiple entries in and out of the country with a multiple re-entry permits.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/975064-tourist-visa-into-retirement-visa/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-11842333

8 hours ago, canerandagio said:

You don't need to go through the b*s*t required for a OA visa in the UK, police reports, medical checks, 125 pounds, references and so on. Just get a tourist visa, convert it in Bangkok into a non-O for the purpose of retirement. It's much cheaper (2000 baht), no hassle and you can get multiple entries in and out of the country with a multiple re-entry permits.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/975064-tourist-visa-into-retirement-visa/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-11842333

All very well if he is planning to settle in Bangkok. But if he were planning to settle in Pattaya he would, in practice, find it next to impossible to do a non-O conversion at the local immigration office there according to various reports on here.

If, however, he is in receipt of the State Pension and wishes to avoid the OA hoops to which you refer, he will be eligible for a non-O instead from the London Embassy.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

All very well if he is planning to settle in Bangkok. But if he is planning to settle in Pattaya he will, in practice, find it next to impossible to do a non-O conversion at the local immigration office there according to various reports on here.

If, however, he is in receipt of the State Pension and wishes to avoid the OA hoops to which you refer, he will be eligible for a non-O instead from the London Embassy.

Yes, all you said, including the bottom bit (I think that would require age 65+ perhaps) reflects my understanding too and I was not aware that in Pattaya they make it difficult to go the route I suggested.

18 minutes ago, canerandagio said:

... I was not aware that in Pattaya they make it difficult to go the route I suggested.

See report by Jack Thompson at post #18 on this recent thread:

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

See report by Jack Thompson at post #18 on this recent thread:

I am considering a move to Jomtien from BKK.

When - in 5 months time I will have to extend my stay will I have problems of this kind if I live in Pattaya? I am now on a one year extension of non-O.

5 hours ago, canerandagio said:

When - in 5 months time I will have to extend my stay will I have problems of this kind if I live in Pattaya? I am now on a one year extension of non-O.

At the current time, extensions based on retirement are not an issue. The troublesome officials in Jomtien work at the desk that processes conversions to non immigrant entry for those who entered as tourists and want to change to staying for retirement. That provides no guarantee about the future, of course. Conversions could become easier and extensions could become harder.

5 hours ago, canerandagio said:

Your not on an extension of a Non O.

Your Non O is clearly stamped USED in red.

You extended your permission to stay from the 90 days given from the Non O.