Butts Out: Smoking Ban To Hit 24 Thai Beaches

webfact

8 hours ago, upena said:

Banning plastic bags would have been better. And, banning cigarette butts only on certain beaches is confusing. Should be nation-wide

"banning cigarette butts only on certain beaches is confusing."

Perhaps so the smokers can search out a beach where the ban doesn't apply.

Or maybe the same logic that applies to Immigration - different office(r) - different rules!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

Guess what genius.  Smoking destroyed a lot of lives.

Why not ban drinking as well, then, Mastermind? Alcoholics destroy not only their own lives?

Edited by sambum

6 hours ago, shackleton said:

I must admit I personally detest smoking when in a restaurant or pub especially when food involved

when I was in Vientaine Laos a few weeks back popped into a popular restaurant there

The waitress spotted my frown as  I  Perused the menu she said straight away we have a non smoking area at the rear which my wife and myself went to and enjoyed the meal smoke free

when I was last in Pattaya in a restaurant people smoking everywhere I mentioned to the guy serving behind the bar where is the non smoking area he said we don't have one so we departed they lost the business if people want to poison there lungs its up to them but think of those who don't and where there is children involved who don't have a say

Exactly - you made your choice! 

3 hours ago, Cranky said:

And who cares.  Remember smoking on Airlines? Did banning that make sense?  It's simply wrong to impose deadly gas on people that don't want it, any argument to the contrary is bonkers.  

You want to smoke, knock yourself out.  In your own private gas-chamber.

"And who cares.(?)"

Probably quite a lot of people employed in the pub trade for starters. Also people that enjoy having a drink (and smoke) in company.

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Here's food for thought: Lock the ignorant dirtbags up that inflict fags on kids; it's  already illegal in the UK to smoke in a car with kids in there.  Not only are they more likely to take up the habit (like I did and spent the better part of 10 years kicking it 9 years ago), if they don't they are likely to get sick anyway.  Any Doctor that complains about a smoking ban should be struck off, or taken away to the funny farm at the very least.

Also, just because it's nice and sunny outside in the fresh air, does that entitle you to call the entire outdoors your personal 'Smoking Area' and pollute anyone downwind of your stinking habit?  

You wanna smoke, go sit in your car and light up with the windows closed.  See how long you last - that's what you are inflicting on other people.

"You wanna smoke, go sit in your car and light up with the windows closed.  See how long you last - that's what you are inflicting on other people."

No comparison.

Walk along Sukhumvit at rush hour and take a good deep breath, and then complain to the drivers.

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"You wanna smoke, go sit in your car and light up with the windows closed.  See how long you last - that's what you are inflicting on other people."

No comparison.

Walk along Sukhumvit at rush hour and take a good deep breath, and then complain to the drivers.

Unfortunately that approach would probably deprive us of an answer as to how it all worked out.

On 25/01/2018 at 7:23 AM, halloween said:

Before the gloom and doom predictions, remember what happened when smoking was banned in pubs.

I do remember very well as I have a company that benefits from pubs closing down and in the last 10 years has done very well indeed. Most of the people leaving, cited the smoking ban as the reason for their business decline, certainly in the 3-4 years after the ban when closures were at their height. The UK lost at least 20% of its pubs .

6 minutes ago, mrfill said:

I do remember very well as I have a company that benefits from pubs closing down and in the last 10 years has done very well indeed. Most of the people leaving, cited the smoking ban as the reason for their business decline, certainly in the 3-4 years after the ban when closures were at their height. The UK lost at least 20% of its pubs .

Nice to know that it's not just hearsay and gossip mongering then! 

On 1/25/2018 at 3:23 PM, halloween said:

Before the gloom and doom predictions, remember what happened when smoking was banned in pubs.

The outdoor smoking areas they made became the new social hive, doubt that will happen to the bus shelters here though!

40 minutes ago, coulson said:

The outdoor smoking areas they made became the new social hive, doubt that will happen to the bus shelters here though!

"the new social hive",  Interesting turn of phrase  - Lepers Colony more like!

Edited by sambum

3 hours ago, sambum said:

Yes, and how many traditional pubs have had to close down because of it, or seen their profits drop drastically?

Many traditional pubs in my "home" town have had to close in recent years and many of the managers blame it partly/mostly on the smoking ban. Higher drink prices also play a factor, but a working man's traditional night out included a few pints and a few smokes down at the local with his mates, and maybe fish 'n chips on the way home. 

Sadly, the combination of higher drink prices and rents (implemented by greedy breweries) and forcing smokers out on to the pavement like lepers on a cold wet, miserable night have only served to encourage drinkers/smokers to stay at home, or take it in turn to visit each others houses armed with a carry out from the local supermarket. Would it not have made more sense to allow the landlords to allocate one room in their pub for smokers only and possibly instal an extractor fan to satisfy Health and Safety requirements? But no - a blanket ban chased many of these hardened drinkers/smokers to "fields anew", and the landlords were the first to suffer - the breweries just put their prices up to compensate for the lack of customers (Sounds like the Thai bar owners' logic in a way!) and now the traditional English pubs are a dying breed - except in rural areas where they are now expanding their trade to include "pub grub" (which is a good thing), but the traditional town pub is a rare sight these days.

Getting back on topic, I think the "beach smoking ban" on Thailand will have a similar effect - the smoking tourist will just choose to go to a country where smoking is allowed on beaches, and in hotels because that is a main part of their enjoyment of their holiday (whether you like it or not!) but no doubt TAT will be able to adjust their figures accordingly! 

P.S. I'm a non smoker!

As only 10% of people smoke the myth of pubs closing because of the smoking ban is a sad lie. Yes pubs are closing in the Uk but the ones that survive are helped by the ban on smoking. 

10 minutes ago, djayz said:

then everything will be just perfect. 

LOL   you forgot the bad air quality ( caused by heavy industries, vehicles,dust and crop burning)   that each and everyone smokers, non smokers and Amish have to endure.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

LOL   you forgot the bad air quality ( caused by heavy industries, vehicles,dust and crop burning)   that each and everyone smokers, non smokers and Amish have to endure.

Not on the beach I go to... ?

You need to change beaches. 

19 minutes ago, djayz said:

Good! No more digusting cigarette butts on the beaches! 

Now, lets prohibit people from dumping their rubbish on the beach and then everything will be just perfect. 

What's the difference between rubbish and cigarette butts?

4 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

The non smokers think that enjoying yourself should be illegal.

The non-smokers are a) the majority and 2) don't feel the need to spoil everybody else's day/evening by puffing smoke into everybodys' faces leaving them and their clothes stinking like ashtrays. 

If you consider thay enjoying yourself, then you need to get out more often. 

19 minutes ago, djayz said:

Good! No more digusting cigarette butts on the beaches! 

Now, lets prohibit people from dumping their rubbish on the beach and then everything will be just perfect. 

What's the difference between rubbish and cigarette butts?

21 minutes ago, djayz said:

It's all the same - just one was prohibited the other wasn't. 

Smoking cigarettes is not prohibited.

24 beaches in Thailand?

Don't you get it, it's a tourism scam

Edited by coulson

1 hour ago, coulson said:

Smoking cigarettes is not prohibited.

24 beaches in Thailand?

Don't you get it, it's a tourism scam

No it's not. Don't you get it? It's a "let's try and clean up the beaches" attempt. 

It might work, then again maybe the authorities mightn't even bother writing fines. 

12 hours ago, Cranky said:

Can't see why you have to be abusive and name calling after the chap merely stated an accurate opinion.  

Anyway, you're either joking (plausible) or you appear to have overlooked the fact that so many UK pubs closed for several reasons other than banning toxic gas that endangers peoples lives. 

(a) They were mainly run-down crap businesses managed by idiots living in the stone age serving crap food that deserved to go tits-up. Outsiders definitely not welcome 'You not from round 'ere are ya', followed by a slap commonplace. 

(b) Plod started applying the law that you are actually not allowed to drive home pissed out of your mind, (endangering more lives) and as most decent pubs are out of town it made sense not to go. Seeing as the average Brit would never entertain walking more than about 200 yards to the pub and can't afford a taxi led to....

(c) Supermarkets started selling beer for tuppence a can so it did make sense to stay home and get shitfaced for a fraction of the price, eat in, no need to drive, smoke all you want, bring the neighbours round and take turns annoying each others wives.

(d) Local magistrates closing 'In-town' pubs mainly because they were a place to meet on a Saturday night to get juiced up for the weekly scrap in the vomit-covered market square. Also, a bit off-putting when surrounded by cops in riot-gear and bouncers on the door.  If you didn't get a kicking for not being from 'round 'ere', the bouncers or plod would oblige.

Net result, fantastic establishments that serve great food in a smoke-free family-friendly environment without curmudgeons like you.  Pray tell by the way what you mean by 'science and research'?  Assume you disbelieve smoking causes death in various forms?

Best regards

Mr Zealot. 

The rate of closures quadrupled almost immediately after the smoking ban was introduced. All those other things you mention didn't start in 2007, so had no bearing on the massively increased rate of closures.

20 hours ago, flyingdoc said:

Smoking was banned years ago inside restaurants, but look at the result.  Flagrant disregard, and owners too afraid of losing custom, to even consider upholding it !

Now that is indeed a telling comment. "Owners too afraid of losing custom".

And why would they be afraid of losing custom? Reading through this thread, one would be forgiven for thinking that absolutely everyone loves the smoking ban. Could it perhaps be that the majority of people who frequent these establishments don't like smoking bans? And if the majority don't want them, why should the owner be forced to make his best customers unwelcome? That's a terrible business plan to impose on someone against their will, in their own private property, and against their customers' wishes.

3 hours ago, The manic said:

As only 10% of people smoke the myth of pubs closing because of the smoking ban is a sad lie. Yes pubs are closing in the Uk but the ones that survive are helped by the ban on smoking. 

You obviously didn't read the post on the previous page by mrfill