Motorbike Rental Scam

2 hours ago, Justfine said:

Smart people don't leave anything more than a copy.

Applying for a new passport is a hassle and insurance excess is usually around $100-200.

Just daft giving up a passport.

Smart people don't have an insurance excess and there will likely be no need anyway, as they are not allowed to hold on to your passport.

I guess it all too complicated for some.

Pattaya/Phuket famous for jetski scams

Tao motorbikes

On Ko Pha Ngan one dodgy shop wanted passport. They even looked like crooks. I walked 200m and got a bike with copy no problems with decent people at a different shop.

No problem giving a copy. That's my point, putting that much money in their hands gives rise to temptation.

Decent places will ask for much less, perhaps 3000 baht.

It's stupid. If they don't accept a copy they are dodgy.

Security guard accepting a copy of a Thai ID? :smile:

Is this thread going for some sort of record?

Never had a problem with passport. Any asking for 8k or 10k should have rung alarm bells.

8 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Smart people don't have an insurance excess and there will likely be no need anyway, as they are not allowed to hold on to your passport.

I guess it all too complicated for some.

So you pay $100 extra anyway. Oh so smart not.

Not allowed? Who is going to stop them? They will hold it until they get paid off you fool.

Edited by Justfine

Security guard accepting a copy of a Thai ID? :smile:

Is this thread going for some sort of record?

Never had a problem with passport. Any asking for 8k or 10k should have rung alarm bells.

They scam tourists giving up passports.

"Check with your travel insurer – depending on the circumstances, most policies should cover at least some of the cost of your altered travel plans"

So loss of passport full expensives covered unlikely just some.

Out of pocket $100 to $200. Extra hassle. The temporary passport only lasts 12 months as well.

That's why you hire thru a legit shop. You can hire thru hotels as well for a mere extra 50 baht. Most hotels happy to organise a bike hire for you.

No problem giving a copy. That's my point, putting that much money in their hands gives rise to temptation.

Decent places will ask for much less, perhaps 3000 baht.

Decent places don't even ask.

Not sure why you give out bad advice.

37 minutes ago, huberthammer said:

Why oh Why does every Koh Tao post spin out of contril. Must be something in the water on that island that bring all the ranting people out...

Fun? Lots of scams in Phuket/Pattaya too.

I've seen people complain about scams for 15 years online. If only these people read the forums and were pre warned.

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, KneeDeep said:

Nonsense.

You show me where leaving your passport with a vendor is illegal.

passport.thumb.jpg.c288c4f0e9252337e94d5f2b14853da1.jpg

1. 'remains the property of Her Majesty's Government' Ergo you cannot use it as a bond.

2. 'should not be [...] passed to an unauthorised person'

3. Have a good day

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, notmyself said:

passport.thumb.jpg.c288c4f0e9252337e94d5f2b14853da1.jpg

1. 'remains the property of Her Majesty's Government' Ergo you cannot use it as a bond.

2. 'should not be [...] passed to an unauthorised person'

3. Have a good day

Game, set and match.

6-0

6-0

6-0

• Like 1

In theory you have to have it all times but generally a copy will do depending on the officer. If not then they will ask where it is and accompany you to your home or hotel if it is there. If it is in an embassy they you will have some kind of documentation showing it to be the case. You could potentially and correctly be in a really rocky place if it's with some nong at the local motorbike place.

Edited by notmyself

We stayed in the same room as you just before New Years... we left early as the rain was unbearable. Nice place, they even refunded the 3 nights we wanted to cancel (minus 10%)

Next time, rent a bike from Oli's near the pier... it's 250thb per day but the 50thb is worth it.... there's no scam.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 12:35 AM, highfive said:

When I went to Koh Samui I rented a scooter, even though I never rode a motorbike in my life. This was one of the most stupid decisions I made in my life, or seriously the most stupid one, because it could have gotten me killed. Around one hour after I rented it... I crashed it into a truck parked at the side of the road.

Now, everything I read on this forum would make me think that the person I crashed into would want a lot of money from me, that the shop I rented from would want a lot of money from me. But what really happened was that the truck I crashed into was carrying some local workers, and they all just really wanted to help me, they wanted to make sure I was okay. They gave me water, they gave me plasters etc. They were all really worried.

Of course, after what I read I thought I will need to pay them for the damage I caused. I told them I was okay, I'm not very hurt and I will pay for damages, just tell me how much. But they all said "no no, nothing, no pay, you okay? you okay? bleeding? you okay?". I was really shocked how caring and friendly they were. After I crashed I wanted to return my motorbike, and again, I was expecting to pay some heavy fees or the loss of my entire deposit (10000 baht because I didnt leave my passport with them). But what actually happened was that the owner of the shop picked me up, and gave me 80% of my deposit back along with the rental fee. I don't know if I was just lucky, but what happened to me seems to contradict what most of you say.

1. You were in Samui not Ko Tao

2. Yes you were stupid, but unfortunately it happens every day on these islands - tourists think it is a great place to ride a motorbike for the first time. Isn't the rental people's responsibility to stop them and the hospitals make a living from bike accidents.

3. I think the rental people attach a bit more sympathy to a clueless tourist who has wobbled off on a bike they rented from them. In the back of their mind they know it isn't safe, but they aren't forcing anyone to rent a bike. So when you crashed there was probably a little guilt attached, hence the low price for repairs. 

On 2/3/2018 at 12:35 AM, highfive said:

When I went to Koh Samui I rented a scooter, even though I never rode a motorbike in my life. This was one of the most stupid decisions I made in my life, or seriously the most stupid one, because it could have gotten me killed. Around one hour after I rented it... I crashed it into a truck parked at the side of the road.

Now, everything I read on this forum would make me think that the person I crashed into would want a lot of money from me, that the shop I rented from would want a lot of money from me. But what really happened was that the truck I crashed into was carrying some local workers, and they all just really wanted to help me, they wanted to make sure I was okay. They gave me water, they gave me plasters etc. They were all really worried.

Of course, after what I read I thought I will need to pay them for the damage I caused. I told them I was okay, I'm not very hurt and I will pay for damages, just tell me how much. But they all said "no no, nothing, no pay, you okay? you okay? bleeding? you okay?". I was really shocked how caring and friendly they were. After I crashed I wanted to return my motorbike, and again, I was expecting to pay some heavy fees or the loss of my entire deposit (10000 baht because I didnt leave my passport with them). But what actually happened was that the owner of the shop picked me up, and gave me 80% of my deposit back along with the rental fee. I don't know if I was just lucky, but what happened to me seems to contradict what most of you say.

Some may actually fall for this ?

Edited by evadgib
  • Confused 1

On 06/02/2018 at 8:26 AM, PoorSucker said:

If you don't have a MC driving license, don't rent a bike, period. 

You need a driving license, technically your travel insurance is void because you are breaking the law.

I used worldnomads insurance, they covered everything and didn't even ask a single question about my license and I clearly told them that I crashed on a scooter that I rented. I only have EU drivers license for cars. But, yes, from what I understand after reading the terms&conditions, they could refuse to pay.

My post is actually not trolling, but I understand why you guys might think it is. Usually people have quite the opposite experience when they crash on a rented scooter. But seriously, is it always so bad that you cant believe what I said? I too was really expecting to pay more, and to have a lot more problems with the rental company after everything that I have read. What actually happened shocked me. I would give you the name of the company I rented from, but then obviously everyone would think it's just an ad. I did do some research about a good scooter rental business around Lamai that wouldn't take my passport, I found this one, I used them and I was positively shocked after my crash. I really read a lot about this before renting the scooter and after what happened I was expecting everyone - the rental company, the people I crashed into - to milk out as much money as possible from me, the clueless tourist, but quite the opposite happened. But I know that in most cases, in most companies, with most people, this would look totally different. I was just lucky, or everyone else on the internet is lying :tongue:

On 06/02/2018 at 12:01 AM, RickG16 said:

1. You were in Samui not Ko Tao

2. Yes you were stupid, but unfortunately it happens every day on these islands - tourists think it is a great place to ride a motorbike for the first time. Isn't the rental people's responsibility to stop them and the hospitals make a living from bike accidents.

3. I think the rental people attach a bit more sympathy to a clueless tourist who has wobbled off on a bike they rented from them. In the back of their mind they know it isn't safe, but they aren't forcing anyone to rent a bike. So when you crashed there was probably a little guilt attached, hence the low price for repairs. 

Yeah, I was stupid.. I later rode a scooter in Koh Chang too, but this time I practiced for a few hours on some side roads supervised by my gf and learned from her tips, then after practicing I rode on some busy roads with her and I was okay. In Samui I lacked basic understading on how to ride a motorcycle, had literally zero experience before riding on a busy road and nobody to teach me. Very stupid.

The guilt and sympathy probably played some role in what happened too since I didn't lie to the rental guy at all. I told him that I never rode a motorbike/scooter in my life etc. He explained some things to me, but not much, and in the end said it's just like riding a bicycle and if I can ride a bicycle, then I can ride a scooter too for sure.

9 hours ago, highfive said:

I used worldnomads insurance, they covered everything and didn't even ask a single question about my license and I clearly told them that I crashed on a scooter that I rented. I only have EU drivers license for cars. But, yes, from what I understand after reading the terms&conditions, they could refuse to pay.

My post is actually not trolling, but I understand why you guys might think it is. Usually people have quite the opposite experience when they crash on a rented scooter. But seriously, is it always so bad that you cant believe what I said? I too was really expecting to pay more, and to have a lot more problems with the rental company after everything that I have read. What actually happened shocked me. I would give you the name of the company I rented from, but then obviously everyone would think it's just an ad. I did do some research about a good scooter rental business around Lamai that wouldn't take my passport, I found this one, I used them and I was positively shocked after my crash. I really read a lot about this before renting the scooter and after what happened I was expecting everyone - the rental company, the people I crashed into - to milk out as much money as possible from me, the clueless tourist, but quite the opposite happened. But I know that in most cases, in most companies, with most people, this would look totally different. I was just lucky, or everyone else on the internet is lying :tongue:

Yeah, I was stupid.. I later rode a scooter in Koh Chang too, but this time I practiced for a few hours on some side roads supervised by my gf and learned from her tips, then after practicing I rode on some busy roads with her and I was okay. In Samui I lacked basic understading on how to ride a motorcycle, had literally zero experience before riding on a busy road and nobody to teach me. Very stupid.

The guilt and sympathy probably played some role in what happened too since I didn't lie to the rental guy at all. I told him that I never rode a motorbike/scooter in my life etc. He explained some things to me, but not much, and in the end said it's just like riding a bicycle and if I can ride a bicycle, then I can ride a scooter too for sure.

See what you're saying, but to be honest a riding a motorbike is probably closer to a car - not in the operation of it, but when to indicate, when to check your mirrors, spacing etc... it is lack of doing these things which probably means people have accidents, rather than falling off. 

On 10/02/2018 at 10:25 AM, RickG16 said:

See what you're saying, but to be honest a riding a motorbike is probably closer to a car - not in the operation of it, but when to indicate, when to check your mirrors, spacing etc... it is lack of doing these things which probably means people have accidents, rather than falling off. 

I have plenty of experience driving a car in Eastern Europe without issues, and after spending almost a year in Thailand I kind of already "feel" the way traffic flows here and what kind of drivers Thais (and tourists) are I know what to expect from them (which means I always have to expect the unexpected, that anything can happen and there are no rules). This was not an issue for me. My issue was actually never riding any motorcycle in my life, nobody ever even explained to me how to ride it, and then hopping onto one in Thailand... on Koh Samui... alone... and riding straight onto the ring road.