‘Upcycling the Oceans’ Phuket mass cleanup nets 800kg in beach, coastal waste

webfact

‘Upcycling the Oceans’ Phuket mass cleanup nets 800kg in beach, coastal waste

1517201075_1-org.jpg

The mass cleanup netted more than 800kg of waste from Phuket beaches and coastal marine sites. Photo: Upcycling the Oceans Thailand / Facebook

PHUKET: About 1,000 people joined together to collect more than 800 kilograms of waste from three Phuket beaches yesterday (Jan 28) as part of Phuket’s efforts to join the global “Upcycling the Oceans” campaign created by Spanish clothing brand Ecoalf.

Under the “Upcycling the Ocens” campaign, Ecoalf’s goal is “to create the first generation of recycled products with the same quality, design and technical properties as the best non-recycled products.”

The mass cleanup yesterday was organised by the Thai government through local officials, with Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Yuthasak Supasorn and Tourism & Sports Minister Weerasak Khowsurat present for the occasion.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/upcycling-the-oceans-phuket-mass-cleanup-nets-800kg-in-beach-coastal-waste-65759.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-29

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

As we all can see on the picture!

Wecome to Thailands new charter tours. Come to Thailand as a foreigner and clean the beaches.
We will even throw in some adventure including garbage diving for 2 days.

Sad how you're twisting a positive event into a negative.

20 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Sad how you're twisting a positive event into a negative.

Yeah, sure! If it would have been 2 Thais diving in the picture, then it would have been positive.
Try asking a Thai if they will come to your country and pick up the litter on the streets for a couple of days. :clap2:Good Luck!

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Yeah, sure! If it would have been 2 Thais diving in the picture, then it would have been positive.
Try asking a Thai if they will come to your country and pick up the litter on the streets for a couple of days. :clap2:Good Luck!

And again.

Nai Harn beach is mentioned in the article, 300kg of garbage collected in one day... good. But it is in general a rather clean beach, and I often observe both foreigners and Thais collecting plastic bags and other stuff from the sand. The main problem is all the garbage which is out in the ocean (just take a walk on the beach after a stormy day), and that can be solved only through education and law enforcement, not with projects such as this one.

btw, also many divers already pick up plastic bags bottles when they find them. It's just a crumble however compared to the amount of littering that goes on.

In 2006, during my 1st visit to Thailand as a tourist (I am now a retired here), I was walking on the main beach of Koh Tao with a Thai lady friend as we both picked up as much trash (broken glass, beer bottle caps, etc.) as we could carry to a nearby trash bin.  She commented along the way that several young foreigners were watching us (for whatever reason) from nearby restaurants/bars.  I replied to her that though we really weren't doing much to fix the problem, if watching us pick up trash on the beach would make even one other person think about what they might be doing wrong then we had accomplished something positive.

Bottom line: if everyone did even a little it could make a big difference.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

Ecoalf’s goal is “to create the first generation of recycled products with the same quality, design and technical properties as the best non-recycled products.”

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: yer, right... now to mail all that sh** to Ecoalfs Spanish recycling plant... chicken dinner. ????

23 hours ago, Get Real said:

Nationality irrelevant.  The Oceans are no more Thai's than they are Botswana's.  If they ain't cleaned up, or at least pollution trend reversed, we are all in the poo.  Maybe not us, but I dread to think what the state of them will be in 100 years or so.

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Nationality irrelevant.  The Oceans are no more Thai's than they are Botswana's.  If they ain't cleaned up, or at least pollution trend reversed, we are all in the poo.  Maybe not us, but I dread to think what the state of them will be in 100 years or so.

You´re right.