Thai Red Cross HIV/AIDS Research Centre Clinic 2018 New Thread

dfdgfdfdgs

There's been other threads about where to get tested for HIV in Bangkok and this place is always the one that's mentioned first, in fact it seems to be the only place that's mentioned.  It's next to Lumpini Park and reports are generally good, few people have anything but good things to say.  I've been 3 times since 2015 and each time I've been less than impressed for various reasons, but I'm not aware of any alternatives apart from a hospital for 5-10 times the price.

Let's start with the good things.

• It's fast; you can be in and out within 2 hours.  If busy, 3 hours is more likely.  You can go to the park whilst you wait.
  • It's in a convenient location, not far from BTS and MRT and bus links.
  • It's cheap; 200 baht for HIV test, 200 baht for Syphilis test.  20 baht for a card.  They have a range of other tests with varying prices that all seem reasonable.
  • The process is streamlined and barcoded so at each stage everybody knows who you are and what you are there for, without having to ask you everytime.  You only have to register once and then each subsequent time you go back you can use your card.

Now the bad.

• If you want any other tests which require the presence of a doctor, or just want to discuss symptoms with a doctor, you will be lucky if there is a doctor present.  By the time somebody tells you there is no doctor there that day you will already have been queuing for 15-30 minutes, not to mention the travel time.  Other internet posts say the same thing.  They should really have a doctor there full time or at least on fixed days (and advertise the days) so everybody knows what days to go.  If you need to see a doctor I'd advise calling in advance to confirm.
  • You aren't given any paperwork to confirm your test results.  It's just verbal, which is okay I guess unless the whole point of going was because your partner asked you to go/for your partner's peace of mind.  I mean sure you can just tell them the results, but some people are liars aren't they.  I'd advise going with your partner and having her/him come into the room with you when they give you your results.  Why can't they just give you a piece of paper?
  • I went today and it differed from previous times I have been 1-2 years ago.  This time they said the test results were 'fine' (I assume this means negative) but they would call me in 2-3 days after a second test had been done?  They made it sound like it was routine (I hope it is) but previously the results were instant, and there was no second test.  They said if I did not receive a call that meant the tests were negative.  This new approach requires you having some degree of trust in their organisational abilities.  What if they get your phone number wrong?  What if they forget to call?  What if you lose/break your phone?
  • Data protection is questionable.  I saw the previous guy's paperwork lying on the table which clearly indicated he was having sex with other men.  They don't use your full name at this place, only your initials, so it's not as if I could track him down on Facebook or anything, even if I wanted to, but still, the point is if they can't handle paperwork confidentially it makes you wonder what other things they might be being lazy with.
  • Once you have been given your test results they ask you to fill in a card in front of them which rates their service.  Good, average or bad.  I hate being forced to do these things, especially when the person you are rating is staring right at you, because you can't give them a bad rating.  It's tacky and defeats the whole purpose of feedback.
  • The opening times are a little inconvenient.  Closes at 4pm everyday but you have to begin the process before 3pm - arrive any later than that and you will be turned away.  But they open at 7.30am.  Why open so early and close so early?  They do have after hours clinics on a Saturday and one evening in the week, I forget which day.  Closed Sundays.

Some other questions I have...  I read an Adam's Love post on their website about this place which seemed to suggest gay men (including farang) get free tests.  Can anybody confirm?  If so what's to stop straight guys saying they're gay?  Adam's Love has it's own booth/display set up in the clinic so I assume they know what they're talking about.

Where else in Bangkok to get STI tests?  Kluaynamthai clinic maybe?  Other similar clinics like that?  What are they like in terms of price and turnaround times?

6 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

You aren't given any paperwork to confirm your test results.  It's just verbal, which is okay I guess unless the whole point of going was because your partner asked you to go/for your partner's peace of mind.  I mean sure you can just tell them the results, but some people are liars aren't they.  I'd advise going with your partner and having her/him come into the room with you when they give you your results.  Why can't they just give you a piece of paper?

This is not correct. They asked me if I wanted anonymous results or my name printed on the paperwork, which I received when I met with the counselor to discuss results. This was just a few months ago.

It is correct, it happened to me today.  Maybe you mean it is not what happens everytime, and I can't argue with that because I'm not everybody.  Nobody asked me about anonymous results or gave me any paperwork whatsoever, except a receipt for the bill.

7 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It is correct, it happened to me today.  Maybe you mean it is not what happens everytime, and I can't argue with that because I'm not everybody.  Nobody asked me about anonymous results or gave me any paperwork whatsoever, except a receipt for the bill.

Go back and ask for your results on paper. 

From another thread:

"For example, a positive result does NOT mean one has HIV, just that one needs to get a more accurate and complicated type of blood test done by a laboratory; most positives will prove in fact to be negative. (This is done automatically when you are tested in a health facility and you need never even know about the initial false positive)."

Maybe the counselor fibbed so as not to worry me, and my sample is going to the lab.  Hence no official paperwork and a follow-up phone call in 2-3 days.

At the "reception" they ask you if you want the results on paper, if you want the results with your real name on the paper they ask to see your passport.

Maybe they just forgot it, or the person was afraid to speak with the foreigner ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/29/2018 at 6:03 PM, tonray said:

This is not correct. They asked me if I wanted anonymous results or my name printed on the paperwork, which I received when I met with the counselor to discuss results. This was just a few months ago.

If you want a printed result you must register with your full name. I believe that you can tell the person at the intake desk (step 2/recieve your paperwork) and they will help you. 

• 2 months later...

What kind of 'treatment' do you need? Where are you coming from? The only thing that is different recently is that the wait to get an appointment to see a doctor is much longer, several weeks. Blood tests and medicines are the same as ever. Certain testing and dispensing hours and prices vary so check in advance for what you need.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:11 PM, pitt777 said:

I have heard that Thai Red Cross HIV/AIDS Research Centre Clinic no longer provides treatment from july 2018....can anyone give me any information about that.....cause i am planning to travel to thailand for treatment.

Hello SoNowWhat......Thanks for ur knock. I am form a third world poor country. Actually i started PEP a month ago in bangkok.....had ARS symptoms...scared  of PEP failure.....now wanna go back to bangkok to know my status. I cant stay there for long,may be 15-20 days....... dont know how to start. there......should i go to THAI RED CROSS directly and ask for tests ?.....is that possible without facing a doctor there?.....i cant wait for a week to see a doc there.....or should i talk with a doctor elsewhere and then go to red cross for tests?.....where to meet a doc then?.....please advice.

Please private  message me directly in here. You can have your HIV test at TRC with same day results. That should be your first step, you do not need to see a doctor first. If you test negative thirty days after exposure and 28 days of PrEP then you should be fine. You will need to see a doctor outside of TRC if you need it that quickly. If you do test positive I can be of assistance.

• 2 months later...

I would like to know if I can have a viral load test done at the clinic without a doctor's referral.

I have no problem with the fee, I can pay it easily.  What I need is to go to the clinic on Monday, walk in, ask for a viral load test, and have it done on my own say-so.  Is this possible?  I am from the United States, if it makes any difference.

I had a needle stick a week ago.  It's too early for antibody tests, thus my need for a viral load test.

Archived