When Farangs Go Native

webfact

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm tempted to think that you don't know many with kids, but perhaps I just grew up in a different world.

I'm guessing it's a different world.  I'm on a foundation of an international school here and thus I'm surrounded with people with kids.  Same thing at work, same thing with friends I grew up with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Having a "Chip on your shoulder" , means that you are constantly peeved by something .

For example * Its not fair that he gets something and I dont*

Your example describes jealousy brought on by someone being not capable or lazy and wanting what others have worked for.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Your example describes jealousy brought on by someone being not capable or lazy and wanting what others have worked for.

Not necessarily about working or being lazy or jealous, could be the other way around : People who do work have a chip on their shoulder about other people who do not work and get everything for free

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You'll be denying next that you didn't get the Thai Visa Poster of the Year award taken away from you due to voting for yourself many times and getting you friends to do the same.

i don't have to deny anything originating from a poor boy who proves who has no honour by making up derogatory accusations. actually i should have reported you to the mods but...

i pity people with inferiority complexes who are intellectually and socially so far below me that even long ladder does not suffice to reach my level. rabugento1.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sanemax said:
On 2/15/2018 at 1:57 PM, Naam said:

that's what i was taught.

Having a "Chip on your shoulder" , means that you are constantly peeved by something .

i don't care what your interpretation is and stick to what i was taught, which by the way is correct too. look it up, google is your friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:

i don't have to deny anything originating from a poor boy who proves who has no honour by making up derogatory accusations. actually i should have reported you to the mods but...

i pity people with inferiority complexes who are intellectually and socially so far below me that even long ladder does not suffice to reach my level. rabugento1.gif

18 minutes ago, nausea said:

Fail.

Pass with honours.

14 hours ago, Naam said:

i don't care what your interpretation is and stick to what i was taught, which by the way is correct too. look it up, google is your friend.

A German telling an Englishman how the finer nuances of the language. Doesn't even know that the pronoun, "I", is always capitalized.  In the 1940's in Germany, I wouldn't have thought they'd be that interested in teaching English :cheesy:

14 hours ago, Naam said:

Wow, true character being revealed.  What's with the "poor boy" repeated flame? 

This is against forum rules, as is multiple accounts, as you found out already :cheesy:

Can't defend yourself, so go running to a mod :cheesy: A simple, "I did not get the TV POTY award taken away due to irregularities" would be enough for me to believe you.  

As for the last sentence, is this some kind of German humour? 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

What's with the "poor boy" repeated flame? 

not flaming but stating a fact. it means somebody is "poor in character and possesses no honour" who drums up in a malicious way unsubstantiated slander.

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Not necessarily about working or being lazy or jealous, could be the other way around : People who do work have a chip on their shoulder about other people who do not work and get everything for free

The 'Cambridge dictionary' has a pretty good interpretation of the phrase IMO, namely "to seem angry all the time because you think you have been treated unfairly or feel you are not as good as other people.  He's got a chip on his shoulder about not having been to university."

I suspect that a superiority complex combined with an inferiority complex leads to a 'chip on the shoulder'.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd say it's more ''he's got a chip on his shoulder because he wasn't able to go to university, and feels angry because he can't get the job he wants without a degree''

Feel free to argue with the Cambridge dictionary definition, as I'm unsure about the " or feel you are not as good as other people" part of the definition.

It's just the most accurate definition I've found to reflect my definition of the term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

Feel free to argue with the Cambridge dictionary definition, as I'm unsure about the " or feel you are not as good as other people" part of the definition.

It's just the most accurate definition I've found to reflect my definition of the term.

English is not a fixed language, so it's constantly evolving. When it comes to sayings, I think we can use them to mean various things depending on context.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

English is not a fixed language, so it's constantly evolving. When it comes to sayings, I think we can use them to mean various things depending on context.

Very true, but it's become obvious that 'chip on shoulder' means something different between the english, and those speaking english as a foreign language?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd say it's more ''he's got a chip on his shoulder because he wasn't able to go to university, and feels angry because he can't get the job he wants without a degree''

I disagree, it's more about feeling, "less than" due to not having something.

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

If anybody disagrees  with him he cries flaming and then insults the poster.

I put him on my ignore list a while ago.

Naam, just simply ignore him as he needs responses to "prove" his worth.

Thai visa is sadly only left with old men like this, living in the middle of nowhere with a peasant wife. Looking back at his previous posts over many years, it's obvious he's been taken for a total ride, yet thinks it's OK as he has a son. His wife totally disrespects him on many levels, as long as he's abroad sending back the checks, it's bearable.

Him and an old German with a chip on his shoulder, as he can't learn Thai, and thinks the whole nation are only useful for gardeners and the like are the sad voice of a certain demography that are laughed at by the majority of expats. If only the new owners of TV could see that you dinosaurs are the reason why no young person will ever join this forum. You are a dying breed. Start a forum for bitter old has beens.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, roo860 said:

I prefer my chips in a bag with plenty of salt and vinegar, rather than on my shoulder .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Do you mean 

chips.jpg.704f6acd5f6279ecfa11a17f894a3810.jpg

or the sort that we can buy in 7 11, which are more properly described as crisps.

I know some people call crisps chips, but IMO that confuses the issue, as I like to know if it's chips, or crisps.

:sorry:

27 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Thai visa is sadly only left with old men like this, living in the middle of nowhere with a peasant wife. Looking back at his previous posts over many years, it's obvious he's been taken for a total ride, yet thinks it's OK as he has a son. His wife totally disrespects him on many levels, as long as he's abroad sending back the checks, it's bearable.

Him and an old German with a chip on his shoulder, as he can't learn Thai, and thinks the whole nation are only useful for gardeners and the like are the sad voice of a certain demography that are laughed at by the majority of expats. If only the new owners of TV could see that you dinosaurs are the reason why no young person will ever join this forum. You are a dying breed. Start a forum for bitter old has beens.

I actually find your attitude offensive and ignorant. You apparently despise old men with "peasant" wives, which is your right, but you shouldn't be displaying that on TVF.

IMO it contravenes forum rules, but I'll leave it to the poster you insulted to report you or not.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I actually find your attitude offensive and ignorant. You apparently despise old men with "peasant" wives, which is your right, but you shouldn't be displaying that on TVF.

IMO it contravenes forum rules, but I'll leave it to the poster you insulted to report you or not.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming)

Sadly TBL there is no medical cure for stupidity. It is inherent in some posters and they should be pitied more than reported.

It is a bit like a little man jumping up and down, waving his arms in the air and shouting "Look at me, look at me. I am important".

Insulting him makes him feel that somebody has noticed him. Ignoring him hurts his monstrous ego.

TBH I an feeling a little sorry for the bitter and twisted poster who seems to live in his own world where everybody acknowledges that he is the suprme being and no one can anything that he does not approve of.

To quote from his post.

" Looking back at his previous posts over many years, it's obvious he's been taken for a total ride, yet thinks it's OK as he has a son. His wife totally disrespects him on many levels, as long as he's abroad sending back the checks, it's bearable. "

He must be stalking me to say that.

Oddly enough when I was working offshore and was married before I used to send the money back to my UK wife and son. That however is completely different.

I doubt if he is worth the bother of reporting. He has also accused me in an earlier post of flaming him but he probably didn't report it as I am still here and heard nothing from the mods.

Simply by ignoring him makes him madder than ever.

• Like 2