Renewal of UK Passport

I had a look to see if this had been answered already but I couldn't find anything appropriate so....has anyone recently renewed a UK passport in Bangkok and if so, what ID was accepted/acceptable? Was a Thai driving license sufficient? If not, what was? Thanks.

(Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum but it seemed the most appropriate.)

Yes, a translated version should be OK in meeting this completely nonsensical and pointless HMPO bureaucratic requirement (bearing in mind that a replacement passport is no longer sent to its prospective holder direct) if post #14 (by Gashead) on this thread is to be believed:-

In answer to my own question....last night, I wrote an email to the company which now does this on behalf of the Embassy, asking if a Thai driving license and a letter from my local Rajabhat asking me to do some work there would be sufficient. I fully expected never to hear back from them but to my amazement, this morning they replied saying that that was fine.

1 hour ago, Zooheekock said:

I don't seem to have any 'like' buttons (perhaps they've been murdered by my ad-blocker)

More likely you've disabled 'JavaScipt' ? My 'like' button works okay with ABP but with 'JavaScript' blocked, it doesn't. 

Edited by Rally123

18 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Indeed. And a graphic illustration as to just how excessively bureaucratic the whole process is these days to boot, I think!

Fill in the application forms, get a address translated into English, fill in the credit/debit card form, get 2 photos, 

How is this excessively bureaucratic? You are applying for a Passport, not a membership to your local gym

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

How about the 2 trips to Bangkok for starters?

If you don't like it move to BKK so when you have to renew again it's not so much of a hassle,  I had 2 9 hour round trips to BKK last month when I renewed my PP but I don't spend all my time constantly moaning about it on a forum like you do

Yes it's a PITA but how often do you have to do it? Get over it

• Like 1

If you take your old passport you won't need your D/Licence. You won't need your photo signed as they check all is correct during your interview. Other than that follow Rally 123 post. Got my new passport in less than 3 weeks. Other than that the next issue is getting your old visa in New passport. That just takes time could be a matter of hours depending on office you use. That's free by the way.

Edited by fredob43

7 minutes ago, Zooheekock said:

You need proof of your address. The driving license is for that. As I said in a post above, this has been confirmed by the office in Bangkok which processes the application.

Sorry about that it's just that my D/L doesn't have my address on it??? I used my yellow book for that. But you must take your Passport to pick up same when it's ready. As they cut the corner off old one.

Edited by fredob43

10 minutes ago, Zooheekock said:

Yes, mine has my address in Thai and English on the back.

So does mine but only in Thai so no good for P'Port application as it has to be in English. Snap of D/L this is my M/C one but car is the same.

IMGP0017.JPG

Edited by fredob43

2 hours ago, fredob43 said:

If you take your old passport you won't need your D/Licence. You won't need your photo signed as they check all is correct during your interview. Other than that follow Rally 123 post. Got my new passport in less than 3 weeks. Other than that the next issue is getting your old visa in New passport. That just takes time could be a matter of hours depending on office you use. That's free by the way.

It is not an interview - VFS take your application and relevant documents and send it all to the Passport Office. That's it.

I have seen several reports of photos being unacceptable to Liverpool so VFS  obviously do not check them.

Edited by pontious
extra text

5 hours ago, pontious said:

It is not an interview - VFS take your application and relevant documents and send it all to the Passport Office. That's it.

I have seen several reports of photos being unacceptable to Liverpool so VFS  obviously do not check them.

I would call it an interview. You go into a room and into a private box. They check all your paperwork is correct and also the snaps. We had a joke about that, with me saying I looked younger than the one on my old P/P. Wont say what the young lady said in reply.

It was pointed out I had made a small mistake on the payment ATM sheet that was put right by me.

Had to fill out another ATM form that they supplied. Thank Buddha I had my UK ATM card with me.

Once all sorted I was given a NO: and old passport back, told I would be contacted by phone once the new Passport was returned. That took just under 3 weeks.

They are strict on size snap wise in the UK that might have been why they were returned.

Was also told to bring my old P/P back in when picking up new one, also the NO: paper. As luck would have it I was in BKK when they phoned had P/P but not No: they said that was fine, they then snipped the corner off old one and it was returned.

Edited by fredob43

I'm sorry but I do not understand. Do they accept a 'Yellow Book' , which is in Thai and is over 12 months old, from issue date, but the translation into English address confirmation, if not using a 'Yellow Book', has to be less than 12 months old? Call me stupid, if you wish, but I'm confused. Even having a translated address notification under 12 months old doesn't guarantee that you still live at that address upon application day. 

I really don't see why they need your present address as they do not post it to you. Plus if they were to check your last 90 day report stamp that should confirm Immigration accepted proof of address within the last 3 months.:sad:

Edited by Rally123

1 hour ago, Rally123 said:

I'm sorry but I do not understand. Do they accept a 'Yellow Book' , which is in Thai and is over 12 months old, from issue date, but the translation into English address confirmation, if not using a 'Yellow Book', has to be less than 12 months old? Call me stupid, if you wish, but I'm confused. Even having a translated address notification under 12 months old doesn't guarantee that you still live at that address upon application day. 

I really don't see why they need your present address as they do not post it to you. Plus if they were to check your last 90 day report stamp that should confirm Immigration accepted proof of address within the last 3 months.:sad:

I agree with you it's stupid. They also except your D/Licence most times that'll be out of date, well mine is.

I took along a letter from my UK bank just in case. They looked and gave it back.