Thai funerals and the money trail

bewildered66

17 minutes ago, Hupaponics said:

And the payout is not bad at all. 

My MIL passed away 2016 and insurance payout was 250.000B. 

That covers the funeral. 

Exactly!

In the OP's case, with a well to do family, each member can easily fork out 2,000 or 2,500 baht per year to pay for an insurance, which is preferable than having to suddenly face a 200,000 baht, or more, funeral bill...

Brother makes 25.000 a month.

Thats a lot for a Thai.

Why should farang pay all for this nonsense?

Its ok to help with some money. But not all!!!

Let brother grow up. Man up. Whatever.

Thai men are mostly useless creatures.

Even the wedding he did. It wasnt out of kindness of his heart.

He saw profit in it

5 hours ago, Hupaponics said:

And the payout is not bad at all. 

My MIL passed away 2016 and insurance payout was 250.000B. 

That covers the funeral. 

At 5,000 to 7,000 a year, it would take 35-50 years for the insurance company to break even on a 250K payout.

Edited by mogandave

23 hours ago, mogandave said:

Minimum wage is 9,000. No one working for the government or Lotus, or 7-11 or any big company is earning less than that.

Yh you need to stop quoting this rubbish. Agreed on min wage but farmers are not earning 9000 a month in the villages. Most people where my Mrs parents are based work for 100-200 baht per day. "In the village" - keyword.

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Yh you need to stop quoting this rubbish. Agreed on min wage but farmers are not earning 9000 a month in the villages. Most people where my Mrs parents are based work for 100-200 baht per day. "In the village" - keyword.

Right...on top of that, I forgot to mention in my previous answer that those who actually make 9,000 or 10,000 baht a month are very often spending half of this amount to pay for a car over many years, which leaves them with 4,000 to 5,000 baht to live with...

And when the car is paid, they buy a new one, or a tractor or something else...

13 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

How many farmers are working at 7-11, Tesco-Lotus, Government etc.

As long as you're reading, try a little comprehension. I never said everyone was  was earning 9,000, so please don't make up things and pretend I said them.

The OP's brother-in-law (apparently) makes 25K a month, but I guess he must be the only one.

How many people are on your payroll? 

15 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Right...on top of that, I forgot to mention in my previous answer that those who actually make 9,000 or 10,000 baht a month are very often spending half of this amount to pay for a car over many years, which leaves them with 4,000 to 5,000 baht to live with...

And when the car is paid, they buy a new one, or a tractor or something else...

So you go from almost no one earning minimum wage are often blowing it on new cars and whatnot. 

Whatever

Edited by mogandave

Just now, mogandave said:

How many farmers are working at 7-11, Tesco-Lotus, Government etc.

As long as you're reading, try a little comprehension. I never said everyone was  was earning 9,000, so please don't make up things and pretend I said them.

The OP's brother-in-law (apparently) makes 25K a month, but I guess he must be the only one.

How many people are on your payroll? 

Don't try and squirm out of it. No rocket scientist required to comprehend what you foolishly said. People on my payroll? It's the 21st century mate you still using a rollerdex too. 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Don't try and squirm out of it. No rocket scientist required to comprehend what you foolishly said. People on my payroll? It's the 21st century mate you still using a rollerdex too. 

I'll take that as a zero.

You guys crack me up

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

So you go from almost no one earning minimum wage are often blowing it on new cars and whatnot. 

Whatever

Not what I said!

I said that "those" who make 9,000 or 10,000 baht...

There are a few of them, such as the poo yai baan (village chief) or obotos (district representatives), for example.

In other words, as soon as some guy manages to escape the poverty status (living on 3,000 to 4,000 a month), the first thing he does is to take a credit for a car.

The result is that he immediately goes back to his poverty status, yet with a car...and a credit!

I don't know anyone in my village, and around, who lives on more than 5,000 baht a month (outside credit payments)...and my wife runs the village shop, so I know firsthand how much they spend and on what.

Most of them never go to the city, because they can't afford it...they can't shop at a 7/11 because it's too expensive, which is why there are none outside the city...

58 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Not what I said!

I said that "those" who make 9,000 or 10,000 baht...

There are a few of them, such as the poo yai baan (village chief) or obotos (district representatives), for example.

In other words, as soon as some guy manages to escape the poverty status (living on 3,000 to 4,000 a month), the first thing he does is to take a credit for a car.

The result is that he immediately goes back to his poverty status, yet with a car...and a credit!

I don't know anyone in my village, and around, who lives on more than 5,000 baht a month (outside credit payments)...and my wife runs the village shop, so I know firsthand how much they spend and on what.

Most of them never go to the city, because they can't afford it...they can't shop at a 7/11 because it's too expensive, which is why there are none outside the city...

Isnt thst what low earning  people all over the world do? Take out loans and go deeper into debt. So the so called rich get richer whilst they keep the lower class down. Viva the revolution 

Isnt thst what low earning  people all over the world do? Take out loans and go deeper into debt. So the so called rich get richer whilst they keep the lower class down. Viva the revolution 

No, that’s what stupid people do all over the world.

On 01/02/2018 at 9:45 AM, mogandave said:

Any idea what the cheapest days to die are?

I can tell you what the best time to die is.  According to my wife and MIL the best time to die is during the night.  Apparently it's lucky!  Well, lucky for the family that's left behind.  

My understand from my Mrs's families village is that when someone in their village passes they all contribute 200 baht to cover the funeral. The 200 is per death and per household.

As for the brother. Maybe start overloading him with whisky now and save yourself a pretty penny in the long run. I'm sure he will be missed!

On 2/4/2018 at 7:45 PM, Brunolem said:

A racket from whom against whom?

I haven't witnessed anything like that, even though I have (unfortunately) been part in quite a number of funerals...

seems to be taking advantage of persons with inflated prices and services

9 hours ago, surangw said:

seems to be taking advantage of persons with inflated prices and services

It doesn't work that way.

Funerals are a very official event, involving many people starting with the local authorities.

Expenses cannot be kept secret since they are shared between and checked by many of those involved...and they all know very well the prices of everything.

Cheating could only happen if the family of the deceased was collecting a large sum from an insurance, and only if all the members were part of the scam, which would be very unlikely, since the vast majority of Thai people take funerals very seriously.