Myanmar migrant worker wins 6 million baht from First Prize lottery

rooster59

Myanmar migrant worker wins 6 million baht from First Prize lottery

myanmar1.jpg

A female migrant worker from Myanmar who bought lottery tickets for the third time since she worked in Thailand nine months ago won the First Prize lottery and became an instant millionaire.

The 21-year old factory worker in Hat Yai, Ms Thiri Shwe, accompanied by a co-worker from Myanmar, went to Hat Yai district police station to officially record that she was the rightful owner of the First Prize lottery ticket, No. 026853, for February 1 draw.

She told the media at the police station that, after having cashed the lottery, she would send all the 6 million baht prize money back to her family in Myanmar and then return to her hometown to live with her family.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/myanmar-migrant-worker-wins-6-million-baht-first-prize-lottery/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-03

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Will she be allowed to send six million Baht out of the country?

Not because she's a migrant worker, but Bank Of Thailand regulations.

Good one, we here on TV that expats have trouble

By looking at the picture, the man on the right looks like he maybe able to help

1 minute ago, BEVUP said:

Good one, we here on TV that expats have trouble

By looking at the picture, the man on the right looks like he maybe able to help

Oh yes, I see him. The mean-looking guy.

I'm guessing he'd look after your winnings for you, in his name, to avoid having to transfer it back to Burma?

Although that wasn't quite the answer I was expecting.

I was in Taipei when a Thai factory-working couple won the Taiwan national lottery years back.  They paid tax etc., same as locals do, and paid the opt-out penalty as their contract had stated. They returned home here to Thailand with all their winnings.  Not sure the end of the story but I am sure they had many relatives awaiting them at the airport...................

On 03/02/2018 at 9:07 AM, bluesofa said:

Myanmar workers usually send money home using a shadow banking system often run by international Indian networks. (They give the baht to a network rep in Thailand and the kyat or dollars are paid out in Myanmar by another member of the network less commission.)

On 2/3/2018 at 7:23 AM, isaanbanhou said:

the police staion is the last place I want to go with a winning lottery ticket

We picked up over 100k very easily 2 days after a recent draw without publicity, assistance from plod or trek to bkk.

On 2/3/2018 at 9:07 AM, bluesofa said:

Will she actually receive six million Baht, or will there be withholdings galore applied, with income tax withholding possibly the biggest (unless lottery winnings are exempt from withholding - something that an old Siam hand like me should know).