Sisaket, Roi ET, Kalasin. Are they small charming towns?

Alex Teo

Are they small charming towns like Nakhon Phanom, Nong Khai, Lampang or Phrae, to give an indication of the type of Thai towns I love?

Thai towns I find rather unattractive include Uttaradit and Kamphaeng Phet, dusty and largely unwalkable with almost no pavement for pedestrians.

Thanks in advance. Will be arriving in Surin on Nov 15 2018 for the elephant round-up.

I’ll agree with Dilligad. Of the cities listed Roi Er probably the nicest. Even though just passing through it looks clean and nice. I don’t think it measures up to NKP. The river walk was so clean, not a vendor in sight, it didn’t seem like Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgm005 said:

Been to all three but spent a lot more time in Roi-et. Like a few others I liked Roi-et over the other two.  A 4th to throw out. Mahasarakham.

Also to be considered is Yangtaladt A very pleasant as yet untouched part of Thailand. I have yet to see another foreign face there.

7 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

Also to be considered is Yangtaladt A very pleasant as yet untouched part of Thailand. I have yet to see another foreign face there.

I've lived 10 kilometers from Yang Talat for 3 years and in Roi Et for 4 years, must say I prefer Roi Et by far - though that might have something to do with the wife's family being located in Yang Talat. Our son died in Roi Et, so we relocated to Khon Kaen (away from the bad memories) which I think is even nicer than Roi Et. A lot more foreigners here in Khon Kaen, though.

As for walkable, I find most places in Isaan unwalkable due to the soi dogs, already been attacked twice (once by 3 dogs at once, fortunately the owner came running with a stick just in time or it would've ended badly).

5 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

The three places are a little bit different, even the spoken languages. Sisaket grew from a town to a city with Big-C, Tesco, and Makro. It's Sisaket's school city and you'll see that at there's a hell lot of traffic in the morning and evening. People from Sisaket seem to be the worst drivers of Thailand.

You can find a few restaurants with farang food, Frank's Living in the Past ( a German guy who runs the longest existing farang restaurant), an American restaurant in the center, or Cuckoo's Nest, an Australian guy's restaurant called "Leo", different food, beers, wine, etc.", and a friendly Brit with a nice restaurant called Hong Kong Garden and a newish and stylish pub run by a Thai called Barco with farang food and lice music in the evening.

Unfortunately, is it really difficult to find decent Thai food. It's good to have somebody who knows the place.....

You will not see the best drivers, exceptions might be the foreigners and there're currently a lot of them. Sisaket is only 100 km away from Cambodia and Laos and it has its flair. There's a nice park with a zoo, pretty good to relax, but you'll need a vehicle to get around. 

Most people in Sisaket province are farmers, depending on where you are you can find the usually Lao speaking people, but on the way to Surin also some Cambodians, they even have their schools and own dialect. Sisaket people are usually nice, of course will you find others who tell you the opposite......

Please see: https://wikitravel.org/en/Sisaket

https://www.tourismthailand.org/About-Thailand/Destination/Si-Sa-Ket 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g1405573-Sisaket_Sisaket_Province.html

Lamduan and Cambodfa 042.jpg

DSC01614.JPG

DSC01660.JPG

DSC04426.JPG

Anuban Tamboon 026.jpg

English Bitch camp 008.jpg

Leo's i english owned by Luke and his wife.

• Thanks 1

The park in kalasin next to the bus station is pleasant enough if it's just a short trip and walkable amenities you require.

There is also a pub named tawang daeng very close which is a great live music venue.

Also a great Vietnamese restaurant 30 metres from the pub on same side. Shabby decor but really lovely food and inexpensive.

You could even book a hotel within the park. Low ball cost aproximately 400 baht (AP Garden) or higher cost and very close to park (rimpao hotel) 1000 baht. 

There's a restaurant called frozen which serves western and thai but if you like thai I'd suggest the restaurant on the opposite side from frozen which is usually busy as the food is very very good.

For a day trip you can go to lam pao dam which is very idyllic. 30 minute drive from centre. 

For a venture out to a restaurant in town with live music I'd recommend Tum Home.

I prefer roi et on the whole but those places mentioned in kalsin would likely render positive vibes. Beyond them, not so sure. Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1