Tourist visa to Mongolia and Russia

Anyone done a recent application for a visa to Russia and / or Mongolia?

I'm in Chiang Mai so have to travel down to Bangkok so do not want to waste a journey.

For Mongolia I have the form and can take it in with hotel bookings and train tickets, but wonder how long they take?

Russia

• I have filled in the form on the Russian website, with as much as I know. Don't know the details of all my passports over the last 60 years nor details of jobs etc. I assume you fill in as much as possible.
  • Do I have to have the ticket out of Russia booked? I'll be travelling from Russia to Finland by train and can not book the ticket until a few days before leaving so it is almost impossible to get and then apply for a visa in Bangkok.
  • How long do they take?

Do the embassies hold your passport during the application period? Would be nice to apply to both embassies on the same day then take the passports back for stamping when the visa was ready.

Greatful for any information or advice.

British nation - for once it was not a benefit!

Russian embassy says you have to have your tickets both into and out of Russia when applying for a visa. So I can not apply until the last minutes. Hope they are quick and do not raise any problems.