Boat crew arrested after slashing Ukrainian tourist

webfact

Boat crew arrested after slashing tourist

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_4177.jpg

Phuket Tourist Police and Thalang Police arrested a boat crew, 24 year old Thanakorn Sechana from Sakon Nakhon province, after he slashed a Ukrainian passenger with a knife yesterday (February 3).

The passenger, 24 year old Vitalii Kuzmichov, was traveling back from Phi Phi Island with a Best Travel Club tour boat and got slashed near his left elbow by the boat staff after having an argument over the departure time from the island, according to Thanakorn. However, the tourist explained to the police that he has never known Thanakorn before and he has no idea why he was attacked.

The Ukrainian man was sent to Thalang Hospital and transferred to Vachira Hospital while the boat staff has been charged for assaulting him.

Full story: https://www.phuketgazette.net/news/boat-crew-arrested-slashing-tourist

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-02-05

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

4 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

On the surface you'd side with the Ukranian, a poor innocent tourist who complained about late departure and chastised the boatman, the boatman should learn to manage criticism and to practise effective customer complaint management you'll perhaps say! My money, however, is on the boatman not being at fault, cultural gap, behaviours and attitudes, when in Rome and all that. I just don't think a tourist should come to Thailand and bark at the people as though he was in downtown Moscow or New York Time Square, this aint Kansas or Kiev.

You may be right, but it still doesn't justify the use of a knife, if the report is true.

11 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

The number one spot on road kill is unchallenged but how are we doing on general violence and murder against tourists must be near the top and where are the challengers?   

Rubbish, violence against tourists in Thailand is quite unusual.

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

When a tourist is left with a hospital bill for more than the 'fine' you know Thailand has a big problem with taking responsibility for ANYTHING.

Are you sure this is not a case of a tourist not taking responsibility for their own (mis)behaviour?

6 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Sure and just accept everything and anything that’s thrown at you. It’s widely known how diligent, hard working and honest everyone is here. In Japan I would definitely go with your advice and be confident in accepting they were doing their best for my tourist buck. I would be willing to bet my life savings in not getting my arm slashed open by an unhappy service provider there (Japan) if he lost face!

One shouldn’t simply accept the fact that getting your armed slashed open for any verbal argument or disagreement is acceptable. If it is deemed to be acceptable then Thailand should be promoting itself as such, which it isn’t. So just more BS one needs to swallow right?

How about a disclaimer somewhere on your Arrival/Departure TM that acknowledges your understanding that you forfeit any responsibility to Thailand and its people for your life, injury or safety!

It really would not surprise if some Government bright spark reads this and implements it thinking it would be a brilliant move to further protect Thailand and its people from the dreaded Farang. What’s of even more concern, is that tourists would still roll in here lock stock and Barrel which says more about us then it does about them. And that is the crux of the problem right there, not matter what they do we still keep on coming...so there is zero incentive to do anything about anything.

There's virtually no justification for that kind of conduct on the part of the boat crew member. Perhaps the guy needs to get a stern talking to from the new Tourism Minister.

Meanwhile, another episode brought to you by the same motley group of characters (Phi Phi route boat crews) who seem to regularly be killing or injuring the tourists in their "care".

5 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

Sure and just accept everything and anything that’s thrown at you. It’s widely known how diligent, hard working and honest everyone is here. In Japan I would definitely go with your advice and be confident in accepting they were doing their best for my tourist buck. I would be willing to bet my life savings in not getting my arm slashed open by an unhappy service provider there (Japan) if he lost face!

One shouldn’t simply accept the fact that getting your armed slashed open for any verbal argument or disagreement is acceptable. If it is deemed to be acceptable then Thailand should be promoting itself as such, which it isn’t. So just more BS one needs to swallow right?

How about a disclaimer somewhere on your Arrival/Departure TM that acknowledges your understanding that you forfeit any responsibility to Thailand and its people for your life, injury or safety!

It really would not surprise if some Government bright spark reads this and implements it thinking it would be a brilliant move to further protect Thailand and its people from the dreaded Farang. What’s of even more concern, is that tourists would still roll in here lock stock and Barrel which says more about us then it does about them. And that is the crux of the problem right there, not matter what they do we still keep on coming...so there is zero incentive to do anything about anything.

"How about a disclaimer somewhere on your Arrival/Departure TM that acknowledges your understanding that you forfeit any responsibility to Thailand and its people for your life, injury or safety!".

When you get a passport from your government it is presumed that you signed that disclaimer, people who don't understand that shouldn't be allowed to travel. A significant part of the bigger problem is that people come here (and elsewhere) expecting that the same set of rules should apply as back at home.

13 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

When a tourist is left with a hospital bill for more than the 'fine' you know Thailand has a big problem with taking responsibility for ANYTHING.

My experience where I live is that the police will ensure that the costs are covered by the person responsible.

2 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The Thai man could walk away - makes no difference if the man made an imbecile of himself or not. Unlikely as these idiots now all carry knives, swords and guns.

Yes he could but he didn't, instead, he followed a path that he understands within his culture, if you are verbally abusive, potentially threatening (assumption) and cause him to lose face in public, he will retaliate the way he knows how. And sure he carries a knife (assumption), he works on a boat, in other countries people carry guns, many quite openly and legally, what's the difference?

40 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Sometimes all you can do is voice your displeasure. I have done the same when the ferry i reserved turned out to be a speed boat even after i confirmed a few times that it was a ferry. I can handle a speed boat trip easy but with bad weather my mom who was traveling too hurts a lot because of the impacts of the waves. 

So after having booked a trip by ferry and we got put into a speedboat I did make some comments about cheating and bad customer service. I am not one to complain easy but I really went out of my way to book a ferry ticket and got a speedboat. Yea i voiced displeasure.. after reading this i realize it might not have been the best thing.. but still.. I don't always accept everything here.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Sometimes all you can do is voice your displeasure. I have done the same when the ferry i reserved turned out to be a speed boat even after i confirmed a few times that it was a ferry. I can handle a speed boat trip easy but with bad weather my mom who was traveling too hurts a lot because of the impacts of the waves. 

So after having booked a trip by ferry and we got put into a speedboat I did make some comments about cheating and bad customer service. I am not one to complain easy but I really went out of my way to book a ferry ticket and got a speedboat. Yea i voiced displeasure.. after reading this i realize it might not have been the best thing.. but still.. I don't always accept everything here.

Agreed and we've all been there, we booked/paid for this, we got that. It's not important to accept everything but it is important to show your displeasure appropriate to the culture.

Just now, simoh1490 said:

Agreed and we've all been there, we booked/paid for this, we got that. It's not important to accept everything but it is important to show your displeasure appropriate to the culture.

That is true, of course I did not go overboard in my complaints. But truly those boat services often give one reason to complain. They are quite often overbooked and space is then at a premium. Some better checks would be in order.

Archived