Uk to Thailand experience in last 7 days.

Just a bit of info on my latest experience with London thai consulate and Heathrow airport.

1. I had all documents to get non o visa for parent. Used same info in laos previously with no issue.

Walked up to booth in London for sane visa. Refused this visa without an explanation for why. Wad told "we do not give them" I pushed them a bit at that point and they began asking questions. I never handed them one document before was met with refusal. I accepted there refusal on the basis of the one thing I do not have.  (Court order identifying me as a parent in thailand) would have been fine if they had indicated before refusal that they needed that. They had nothing from me document wise and said they are only providing TRV (tourist visa) 60 days.

I opted for TRV 60 days based on there recommendation and collected the next day.

Question:

Should I have done a different process. Different ticket at consulate entry etc? Seemed as if I was in wrong place the way it was refused. Different queue or process than TRV process maybe?

2. Got a one way ticket, checked in at Heathrow and helpful attendant was cautious about my 1 way flight amd asked if I had an onward journey after thailand. She then called someone and sensing this could be an issue I asked her what she recommended. She said get a flight outbound there's been a lot if issues recently.

Booked flight to laos for April. 

Got to Thailand with 6 TRV in my passport and 1 non o with a 2 month extension on that. Passport issued Nov 2016.

Handed in my tm6 and passport. Stamped and waved on without 1 question.

Am I correct in assuming vientiane are perhaps a lot more lax than London as I got that non O without a hitch in vientiane?

I enquired at one point in the UK about a Non O to visit my Thai child. I received the distinct impression that family members other than spouses, while not explicitly excluded, were only accepted as a reason for a Non O under special circumstances. It was not important enough for me to pursue strongly.

10 hours ago, BritTim said:

I enquired at one point in the UK about a Non O to visit my Thai child. I received the distinct impression that family members other than spouses, while not explicitly excluded, were only accepted as a reason for a Non O under special circumstances. It was not important enough for me to pursue strongly.

Was worrying and not something I had anticipated happening and did not appear common knowledge on forums like this. Next stop vientiane.

What would be involved in getting that document to show that you are the child's father. Just to cover yourself if Vientiane ask for the same thing now.

How long do you intend to stay in Thailand?

You can get you TV extended for another 30 days which will give you 90 days

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

What would be involved in getting that document to show that you are the child's father. Just to cover yourself if Vientiane ask for the same thing now.

No nearby embassy or consulate asks for the legitimization of the father's parenthood to be done to get a non-o visa based upon being the parent of Thai. It can take months to get it done by way of a court unless the child is 7 year old or over which allows for it to be done at an Amphoe.

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

He can get a 60 day extension to visit his child at immigration.

Just now, Russell17au said:

How long do you intend to stay in Thailand?

The question regarding legitimization was just my way of accepting their refusal, they eventually provided a valid reason.. No application was presented or Any documents at the point of refusal and zero questions or requests were asked by them. 

"I'm here for a non O as a parent is this the correct ticket system?"

"We do not grant this type of visa. Only tourist visa here"

Seemed to me they just do not want to grant this type of entry basis and as BritTim states; he too was met with a similar scenario. I thought maybe UK want a different process for this than the consulate visit. 

I need to get the legitimization done we just moved from the provence of child's birth 5 months ago and my understanding is we need to apply through the court there to get this approved and can only be done in provence of child's birth.