UK foreign secretary coming on two-day visit

rooster59

UK foreign secretary coming on two-day visit

By The Nation

1346b5379665e632584784d8c09b3b0d.jpeg

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson

British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson will meet Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o- cha and Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai in Bangkok on Monday to discuss UK-Thai relations.

The talks between the two countries will include further cooperation to end illegal wildlife trade, strengthen trade and investment relations, the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar and Thailand’s return to democracy as well as a range of other regional affairs.

“Our relationship with Thailand spans a broad range of issues from bilateral trade and investment to regional security and the illegal wildlife trade. I look forward to further strengthening the UK’s relationship with Thailand in the future,” Johnson said in a statement released by the British Embassy in Bangkok on Friday.

The visit to Bangkok on February 11 -12 is Johnson’s last day of an Asia tour, after visiting Myanmar and Bangladesh.

Meanwhile, Angelino Alfano, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Italy, on Friday met with Don during his visit to Thailand.

Both sides discussed issues such as economic and political cooperation as well as the promotion of people-to-people contact through culture and tourism.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30338497

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-02-10

38 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

What for?:shock1:

It is all about Brexit. British diplomats the world over are talking up Brexit as the next best thing and looking for all sorts of ways to generate trade after the UK leaves the EU. Boris will be hear to discuss the possibility of trade links.

18 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Wonder what gaff he will make here,so many opportunities

to put his foot in it.

regards worgeordie

Actually one needs to be a bit careful here.Certainly Boris Johnson is an unusual politician but I'm sceptical about the media war against him in the Guardian/Independent - countless hostile articles.THe lefties howl with rage when they see someone on the right getting traction.Look at the fusillades against the Moggster.

If you look at the gaffes BJ is supposed to have committed they usually don't add up to much and foreigners are generally not "offended" in the way his UK critics suggest.To take one recent example in which I have first hand knowledge his alleged gaffe in Burma when he quoted Kipling caused little upset on the spot but a tidal wave of indignation in the UK press.

Is he a character? Yes.Is he someone you would trust your wife with? No.Is he a buffoon? No.Is he more intelligent than anyone reading this post?Probably.Is he a career centred opportunist? Yes - as are most ambitious politicians.Is there a whiff of thuggery about him? Yes.Is he a patriot? Yes.Is he funny/ Yes - sometimes hilariously, the most entertaining political figure in decades.

Perhaps most important.You are a Thai (could be any country) leading politician.You have an  appointment with the British Foreign Secretary.Would you rather it was with some automaton or Boris Johnson.There's excitement in the air when BJ waddles into sight even if there's also a whiff of sulphur as well.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Both sides discussed issues such as economic and political cooperation as well as the promotion of people-to-people contact through culture and tourism.

Smirk mode engaged...

fnar, fnar, fnar

...smirk mode disengaged.   

I'll wager there's no Thai translation  available for some of Boris's more colorful quotes and euphemisms such as " Well pop me in the eye with a champagne cork " .. not to mention " My chances of becoming P M are about as good as finding Elvis on Mars or me being reincarnated as an olive "  ( confusion still reigns in UK over that one ) But should they be able to unravel some of what he comes out with the one that may resonate with his hosts is :- " friends as I have discovered there are no disasters  .. only opportunities and indeed opportunities for disaster " which is quite apt here sometimes .. 

49 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Maybe they should send a reporter to ask him which condo or hotel room they will be running consular affairs from soon.

Just a desk set up in the corner of a 'British' pub will probably suffice, for all the good they do. Does British Airways still just have a desk in a travel agent's somewhere around Silom? This downgrading stuff can be seen in two ways - either that Thailand is of very little importance to the UK, or that the UK is now a very minor player. Both are probably true.

He will be sharing his ideas having led the flat cap and whippet brexit north to lala land with a £350 million double decker bus slogan and a better deal out maybe he could work  some of the same magic here for a less than popular  junta on say a Tuk-Tuk.

7 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Probably just wants a bit of sunshine before going  back to cold and cloudy London.   He does not appear to have a specific agenda. 

Re read what was said all on the negative side for Thailand

strengthen trade and investment relations  Hope he is not there for corruption lessons but may be there for gaff lessons

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

illegal wildlife trade, strengthen trade and investment relations, the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar and Thailand’s return to democracy

Archived