Nissan Frontier Navara Pickup

For the heck of it, I decided to stop by the Nissan dealership in Pattaya on my way back from the accessory shop. They were promoting the new Navara model pickup. They only had one model in stock, a 2D, 2WD, MT king cab. As I am only interested in 4D, 4WD, AT double cab models, I had no real interest, however they told me that they would have have this model in stock in 26 days. They gave me a very nice brochure and as I perused through it, I found some interesting data. It is only offered with a newly designed 2.5L diesel, but produces 174 HP (4WD Models), 403 NM torque, best in class, impressive for a 2.5L and much better than the Toyota Vigo and Mitsubishi Triton. It is also offered with a new 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic transmission. It offers shift on the fly to 4WD (H) through an electronic switch on the dash. 4WD (L) is also engaged electronically via this switch. It also features a passenger side airbag (Toyota doesn't offer this feature) and EBD, a system that optimizes rear brake force depending on the load. The top LE model offers a CD/MP3 6-disc player as standard equipment for the price of 849,000 baht in the Double Cab 2.5L LE A/T 4WD with ABS+ABS. I'm sure that I have omitted some of the features of this truck being that the brochure was written in Thai, however I think I have hit on most of the big stuff. I can't say that I was impressed with the looks of the truck, rather plain looking to me particularly the interior design as compared to the Toyota Vigo, however the rest of the truck seems quite impressive.

I'm supposed to be picking up my Toyota Vigo Double Cab 3.0L Exclusive A/T 4WD next week, but if the deal falls through, I may hold out making a purchase until next month when I can thoroughly check out one of these new Nissan Frontier Navara's.

Pattaya Dave

Having experience with a 2.5 Turbo in a Ford Ranger (old model), I'd want to know exactly when that torque is available. :o If it's anything like the 2.5 TD in the old model Ranger then I'll pass.

> I'd like to find a 4X4 diesel the same size as the Familia.

I think you can safely forget about that. Only thing that comes to mind could be a second hand Mitsubishi Pajero pick-up model, a few (VERY FEW) of those were imported as second hand from Japan I think. Or short wheelbase Land Rover pickup. :D

Or you could start with an Isuzu 4WD (used to be a bit lower than other brand's 4WD's) and have a shop mod it to cut a bit off the tray in the back, like they do for some people who just want it as a hobby off-roader and don't care about carrying too much.

Cheers,

Chanchao

BTW, does anyone have a link to the new Navarra pickup? Not that I'm expecting much, it's Nissan after all, which is ALWAYS a case of yesterday's design tomorrow...... :o But, it can't be as gruelling as what Ford & Mazda tried cannit.... So .. any links / pics?

Having experience with a 2.5 Turbo in a Ford Ranger (old model), I'd want to know exactly when that torque is available. :o If it's anything like the 2.5 TD in the old model Ranger then I'll pass.

> I'd like to find a 4X4 diesel the same size as the Familia.

I think you can safely forget about that. Only thing that comes to mind could be a second hand Mitsubishi Pajero pick-up model, a few (VERY FEW) of those were imported as second hand from Japan I think. Or short wheelbase Land Rover pickup. :D

Or you could start with an Isuzu 4WD (used to be a bit lower than other brand's 4WD's) and have a shop mod it to cut a bit off the tray in the back, like they do for some people who just want it as a hobby off-roader and don't care about carrying too much.

Cheers,

Chanchao

The brochure rates the 403/NM torque at 2000 RPM. As for the size, it looks to be the identical size as that of the Vigo, D-Max, Ford, Mazda and Chevrolet one-ton pickups. The only thing I see that is different is that the bed is rated at 1070 kilos, possibly slightly greater than the other truck models. I have both the Toyota Vigo and Nissan Navara brochures and if I can get my wife to translate the dimensions for me, I'll post them.