Vietnam

begsaresponse

I'm off to Vietnam for a four day trip. Any do's/dont's? Suggestions? :o

if you want the beaches:

Land at Ho Chi Minh and take a correspondance to Phu Quoc Island, then book Bo resort or mango bay resort (for couples very romantic).

But if you are going in february better book now as there is the "TET" (lunar new year): everything will be booked and shops will be closed and people will be ###### drunk...

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for your comments. :D Its Hanoi were going to, and by the way what would be the best currency to take there? Thanks again. :o

US Dollars 100% sure sure. They are accepted in place of VN Dong, even preferred but you do get ripped off on the exchange rate but it ends up peanuts. Take USD and change 100 at the airport, you'll get around 1.5 million. Taxi to Ha Noi roughly 150,000 from official rank.

Your 1.5 mill should last four days unless you really let rip.

Do you have a map of Ha Noi? I'll PM you a map of the old quarter, corrected by myself as it had several errors I discovered (how many others? Who knows). The old quarter is the place to go for shopping.

Recommend the Spotted Cow for an Aussie, almost Brit, style pub. Beers 20,000VND ($1.20) except happy hour then 10,000.

Also recommend Seventeen, good bar with top notch Filippino band. Bit more expensive than the S.C. but still cheap as chips.

Enjoy the traffic, not for the faint hearted but you'll be safe provided you apply common sense.

I'm thinking of doing the same - maybe for a week - for visa run purposes.

Can/should I go directly from Chiang Mai, or go to BKK for deals?

Is it fair assumption that cost of living for a foreign visitor is going to be cheaper than in Thailand?

Would someone offer useful suggestion of a decent hotels - equivalent to 1500 baht standard in BKK?

Should I be considering a 'package deal' if there are such available - or do it on my own?

Someone suggested starting in Hanoi and later taking the train down to Saigon, maybe stopping en route. Any comments?

Would appreciate any advice.

Is it fair assumption that cost of living for a foreign visitor is going to be cheaper than in Thailand?

Would someone offer useful suggestion of a decent hotels - equivalent to 1500 baht standard in BKK?

Should I be considering a 'package deal' if there are such available - or do it on my own?

Someone suggested starting in Hanoi and later taking the train down to Saigon, maybe stopping en route. Any comments?

Air France is the best (cheapet) bet from BKK to Hanoi.

AF174 13:55 Bangkok (BKK) - Thailand 15:40 Hanoi (HAN) - Vietnam 01h45mn

non stop, B 747 Economy

AF171 19:55 Hanoi (HAN) - Vietnam 21:50 Bangkok (BKK) - Thailand 01h55mn

non stop, B 747 Economy

Total THB 8,275 return inc. taxes.

From C.M. to BKK any of the budget airlines e.g. Thai Air Asia THB 3,400 inc. tax C.M. - BKK return.

Hotels in Hanoi are probably similar price to Bangkok, see below.

Hanoi Hotels

Naka.

Edited by naka

You realise you are talking 900 - 1000 miles ( 1400 - 1600 km) by train in a week (minus say 2 days visa formalities) with stopovers, three and a half days it takes. Unless you are a serious railways buff I'd suggest 2 - 3 days in Ha Noi (Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, war museum, revolution museum, Hoan Kiem lake plus if you can spare the time Chu Chi tunnels) then fly to HCM City. If you are an anti Pattaya type stay in HCMC and avoid Vung Tau if not, get in there.

Last time I was there coincided with an APEC conference so hotels were rarer than rocking horse sh1t and I ended up in the Ha Noi Hilton at $90 per night so a Baht 1500 place should be easy.

Air France is the best (cheapet) bet from BKK to Hanoi.

AF174 13:55 Bangkok (BKK) - Thailand 15:40 Hanoi (HAN) - Vietnam 01h45mn

non stop, B 747 Economy

AF171 19:55 Hanoi (HAN) - Vietnam 21:50 Bangkok (BKK) - Thailand 01h55mn

non stop, B 747 Economy

Total THB 8,275 return inc. taxes.

From C.M. to BKK any of the budget airlines e.g. Thai Air Asia THB 3,400 inc. tax C.M. - BKK return.

Hotels in Hanoi are probably similar price to Bangkok, see below.

Hanoi Hotels

Naka.

You realise you are talking 900 - 1000 miles ( 1400 - 1600 km) by train in a week (minus say 2 days visa formalities) with stopovers, three and a half days it takes. Unless you are a serious railways buff I'd suggest 2 - 3 days in Ha Noi (Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, war museum, revolution museum, Hoan Kiem lake plus if you can spare the time Chu Chi tunnels) then fly to HCM City. If you are an anti Pattaya type stay in HCMC and avoid Vung Tau if not, get in there.

Last time I was there coincided with an APEC conference so hotels were rarer than rocking horse sh1t and I ended up in the Ha Noi Hilton at $90 per night so a Baht 1500 place should be easy.

Thanks naka, philharries - great info, useful comments.

Will take some us dollars. but for the rest, are there atm s around to draw on my uk bank?

Not an anti-Pattaya type. Note HCMC will provide diversion; not Hanoi?

The train appealed as a way to see the countryside and also a reputedly beautiful beach/bay (forget the name right now). Maybe I'll plan on 14 days+

Didn't grasp the visa 2+ days problem - don't I just get the visa at their embassy in BKK or at Hanoi airport?

Thanks

Lotus Eater,

We (me,wife,son) were in Hanoi last July for a week and we stayed at the Viet Anh Hotel which is located in the "old quarter". We had a triple room for $30 per night. Singles were around $12 which included a pretty good buffet breakfast. Here is there website and you can make a reservation via the internet:

www.vietanhhotel.com For something a little cheaper but still ok with a buffet breakfast there is another place about a 1/2 block away on the same street, Anh Dao Hotel, www.camellia-hotels.com

Didn't grasp the visa 2+ days problem - don't I just get the visa at their embassy in BKK or at Hanoi airport?

Thanks

Sorry, thought you meant it's a visa run for Thailand.

Anyway, ATM's are available but not as widespread as Thailand. Cirrus certainly can be used no problems.

I am not 100% sure, but I belive that you have to get your Vietnamese visa from the embassy in BKK. You cannot buy the visa on the border. At least it was like this three years ago. Citizens from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland no longer require a visa if their stay do not exceed 15 days.

Stay away from Vung Tou in the weekends and public holidays. It is only a short boat trip away from HCMC so the place is crowded every time the locals have a day off.

If you stay in Hanoi, I would recommend a trip out to Halong Bay. Hire a boat for a day, and be sure to bring your camera.

Taking the train from Hanoi to HCMC is a slow but very scenic journey. IMO you need at least a week to do this journey, as stopovers in Nah Trangh and Hue should be mandatory. BTW the wooden benches in 2.class are not very comfortable if I remember correctly.

Don't mention the war. :o

Shsss!! It never happened

Actually they're pretty cool about it. It's past history, live for now, look to the future.

Forgot to add, avoid Tet, Vietnamese new year. Same time as Chinese new year but it's more chaotic, noisy, goes on longer, more drunken but a hel_l of a good time provided you don't have a schedule to keep.

Thanks

Sorry, thought you meant it's a visa run for Thailand.

Anyway, ATM's are available but not as widespread as Thailand. Cirrus certainly can be used no problems.

I am not 100% sure, but I belive that you have to get your Vietnamese visa from the embassy in BKK. You cannot buy the visa on the border. At least it was like this three years ago. Citizens from Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland no longer require a visa if their stay do not exceed 15 days.

Stay away from Vung Tou in the weekends and public holidays. It is only a short boat trip away from HCMC so the place is crowded every time the locals have a day off.

If you stay in Hanoi, I would recommend a trip out to Halong Bay. Hire a boat for a day, and be sure to bring your camera.

Taking the train from Hanoi to HCMC is a slow but very scenic journey. IMO you need at least a week to do this journey, as stopovers in Nah Trangh and Hue should be mandatory. BTW the wooden benches in 2.class are not very comfortable if I remember correctly.

Well, it's a sort of visa run - I'm on a non O visa and the trip will get me another 90 days when re-entering Thailand.

I'll aim to get the visa from their embassy in BKK - am hoping thay have removed the need for UK passports too.

Will have to look further into the train journey and the duration of the whole trip. Are there any fextivals etc falling in March or April that I should avoid?

Whats the best way to get from Thailand to Vung Tao in Vietnam ? Whats the place like ? Heard a cleaner version of Pattaya with the same kind of recreation activities ?

Vung Tau is a big dirty beach due to local habits of eating and throwing everything on the floor.

From saigon you can go by Van (not recomanded), by taxi 2h, by motorbike 3h or the best by Hydrofoil from Saigon quai at the end of Nguyen Hue street. Takes approx 1h and is very impressive.

Nothing to do with Pattaya. 1 million people on the beach, jet ski available but you can not drive as there is a driver sitting behind you!!!

But when you live in Saigon, it is the nearest beach to go and the nearest place to relax for very cheap.

Lotus Eater,

We (me,wife,son) were in Hanoi last July for a week and we stayed at the Viet Anh Hotel which is located in the "old quarter". We had a triple room for $30 per night. Singles were around $12 which included a pretty good buffet breakfast. Here is there website and you can make a reservation via the internet:

www.vietanhhotel.com For something a little cheaper but still ok with a buffet breakfast there is another place about a 1/2 block away on the same street, Anh Dao Hotel, www.camellia-hotels.com

Thanks a lot for that tip on the hotels. I'll check the websites; but your comments on your hotel would be more useful.

Another responder, Naka, said that prices would be similar to Bangkok - but prices you mention seem well below.

Did a week seem an ok period for Hanoi?

lotus eater,

No complaints with the hotel at all. Should we go back to Hanoi we would stay there again. It's a new hotel, rooms, at least ours, was big, a/c, cable TV, full bath with hot water. One week in Hanoi was long enough but of course it depends how much traveling outside Hanoi you plan to do. We took the 3 day trip to Halong Bay which was great. We booked the tour at the hotel (Viet Anh). One day we took a city tour and the rest of the time we just roamed around Hanoi at our lesiure. Be sure to see the Water Puppet show which is not far from the hotel. Sounds corny but its well worth seeing. Book your ticket a day in advance at the theater as the two shows are always sold out or so we've been told. Tickets are only a couple $'s and the show lasts about an hour. So if you dont do any traveling outside Hanoi I would say a week should be long enough.